Quantcast

trooper swing arm

If you can't weld, take it to a welding shop. Comes apart without much difficulty but if you don't have the tools or skills a regular mechanic should be able to. It maybe able to be weld without removal. Finding a new swing arm is pretty difficult and if you do it will cost more than having someone local do the repair. IMHO!

Keep in touch and let us know how you come out.

rocmoc n AZ

Council bluffs Iowa,

I might get it welded but i'm not sure if its safe structurally sound I would post up a photo but It seem I can't attach a photo from my phone.

I might take it off and bring it to a welder anyone know what tools I would need for taking off swing arm?

Good welder will put the additional braces in place to make it structurally safe. Have him be careful with the bushing. This happen to a couple of others in the past and they just had it repaired.

Standard metric wrench & socket set and a couple of flat irons or large flat screwdrivers. Toughest part is the shock, it can be a pain getting the bolts out. Remove the wheel hub as a single unit and leave it attached to the CV axle. Pop the axle out of the diff. Comes out like another CV-joint axle. Should be able to find a video on youtube. The hub removes with removal of two bolts. Same with the swing arm. Just be careful not to damage the bushing as you drive the bolts out. Not too bad of a job.

Good luck,

rocmoc n AZ

Good welder will put the additional braces in place to make it structurally safe. Have him be careful with the bushing. This happen to a couple of others in the past and they just had it repaired.

Standard metric wrench & socket set and a couple of flat irons or large flat screwdrivers. Toughest part is the shock, it can be a pain getting the bolts out. Remove the wheel hub as a single unit and leave it attached to the CV axle. Pop the axle out of the diff. Comes out like another CV-joint axle. Should be able to find a video on youtube. The hub removes with removal of two bolts. Same with the swing arm. Just be careful not to damage the bushing as you drive the bolts out. Not too bad of a job.

Good luck,

rocmoc n AZ

Thanks a lot for giving me a idea of what I need to go and do. How come shock is hardest to get off? Is it the compression pressure?

I finally figured out how to attach photo post-1099-0-29319500-1318189513_thumb.jpg

Saw your pic, Fixable. If it were me, I would tack weld everything back into place before I removed the swing arm to ensure fit. Then remove, weld and brace. Really isn't that bad.

Shock, the self-locking nuts are soft metal with locite. Make sure your socket fit perfect or they can/will round the nut. That is the biggest thing is getting the nuts lose without rounding the cheap soft nuts.

rocmoc n AZ

If u come up with 3 link system would it be a solid axle or independent rear suspension as well? I thought the current suspension worked very well I climbed over huge felled tree logs in woods and crawled in and out of a deep v shaped ditch with two wheels off the ground but I believe the swing arm broke due to me going too fast in fields and making bit of jumps getting some air

this is the video of me trying out the gopro hero 960p and then broke the swing arm right after I record it and pulled into garage the garage door hit the safari rack and I heard a bang it must been that. Do any of you have trouble fitting trooper in garage?

Also I would like to build coil over 4 link or maybe 3 link or completely redesigned swing arms out of stronger metal and better designed for the trooper

Ill need some ideas to come up with some design then ill be more than happy to share it freely

I wonder how long the welds would hold up though

If u come up with 3 link system would it be a solid axle or independent rear suspension as well? I thought the current suspension worked very well I climbed over huge felled tree logs in woods and crawled in and out of a deep v shaped ditch with two wheels off the ground but I believe the swing arm broke due to me going too fast in fields and making bit of jumps getting some air

this is the video of me trying out the gopro hero 960p and then broke the swing arm right after I record it and pulled into garage the garage door hit the safari rack and I heard a bang it must been that. Do any of you have trouble fitting trooper in garage?

Also I would like to build coil over 4 link or maybe 3 link or completely redesigned swing arms out of stronger metal and better designed for the trooper

Ill need some ideas to come up with some design then ill be more than happy to share it freely

I wonder how long the welds would hold up though

http://news.webshots.com/album/579959489MTrlIB here's the pictures of my cracks and fixes. You also need to learn to keep your thumbs out of the center until you get a power steering kit installed, you my break them one of these days, as far as any advice on building that stuff you mention, I know nothing about that stuff, sorry. I'm still running my repaired swingarm, haven't looked at lately maybe I ought to. My trooper fit into my garage nicely, unless it's on the trailer. goto google earth and type in 339 e 100 s, 84062 the house with the open garage.

http://news.webshots.com/album/579959489MTrlIB here's the pictures of my cracks and fixes. You also need to learn to keep your thumbs out of the center until you get a power steering kit installed, you my break them one of these days, as far as any advice on building that stuff you mention, I know nothing about that stuff, sorry. I'm still running my repaired swingarm, haven't looked at lately maybe I ought to. My trooper fit into my garage nicely, unless it's on the trailer. goto google earth and type in 339 e 100 s, 84062 the house with the open garage.

guess I didn't get any photos of the steel plate I put on, made a template out of card board, cut it out out of .010 (I think) steel and welded it 100%

Good video. Didn't see anything in your video that was any rougher than we put the Trooper thu. Maybe there is just one set of swing arms that are prone to breaking. In looking at other owners Troopers at the Jamboree this year in Hanksville, I saw 3 different swing arms on the Troopers there. Mine is a 2008 and has never had a problem. nocturnalsixer & kinarfi, what are the year of make of your Trooper? 2scoops, what is the year of your friend's Trooper? Maybe it is a single year of manufacture.

rocmoc n AZ

I am pretty sure Banjo Minnows is a 2009.

Look at the RZR XP 900. That is 3 link independant.

Mine has held up to alot of abuse, but the right rear is misaligned, so I am going to maybe re-do the design. I would like to have more lateral support and a more efficient & reactive suspension. Besides I really like building suspensions. My front suspension changes have performed flawlessly.

Our current design is more of a sandcar design. They don't see as much lateral force as I put on my Trooper.

Mine is a 2008, a later design than Rocmoc's, if you have your thumbs on the inside of the steering wheel and hit a big rock and get nasty bump steer which causes the steering wheel to spin, you don't want it hitting you thumb. You can imagine how bad that would make your day. Take look at 1:28 in your video, it's the way you are holding your steering wheel.

Kinarfi

Just search the forum for front suspension designs. There are several members who changed theirs. You can look in my gallery to see what I did. I now have a true 12.5 inches of travel. Had to lower the front diff & build shock hoops to achieve this. The stock suspension is really about 8-9 inches of travel & is mainly limited by the Chinese shocks.

2scoops so your trooper sit higher now?

Did u used the Kong shocks?

I thought these already had 12-13 inch if travel from factory that surprised me

No, no, & no.

My Trooper rides at the stock height but now has about 3-4 inches of droop or sag built into the suspension. With my stock shocks I had maybe 1/4" of sag. In a well designed suspension system you want some sag built in. But again that depends on what you are doing. I do mostly rock crawling & high speed runs on rocky trails. I want my wheel to drop in to the whole & ride back out instead of the wheel bouncing off of the other side of the whole which causes a harsh impact & ride when going fast. Guys who hit the mud bogs alot just want ground clearance and jack their rides way up but often sacrifice a nice ride.

I used Fox 8.5 inch shocks with dual rate springs. They have 8.5 inches of travel where the stock shocks are 5.5-6 inches??? That translates to 4-5 more inches of wheel travel over the stock shocks & I use every bit. I think if I changed my tie rod ends to rod ends I may even be able to get 13-14" inches of travel. The next thing limiting the travel is the ball joints, then the CV's.

Those of us who have had our Troopers for a while have dicovered many of the factory ratings were inflated. I found the stock suspension to ride quite nicely over 1-2 inch bumps and really cornered on rails because of its stiffness--which I liked. But, any thing over 2" is where you really started to get jarred in your seat. In order to maintain the factory rated 13" of ground clearance they put really stiff springs on. When you do this you really have to up your internal valving to offset the spring reaction--which they did not. My first test ride was on gravel, dirt road, & pavement, and I thought it rode quite nicely. Then I got into the rocks & it was a different story. To make things worse I rode in my buddys RZR S and that ruined it for me. I knew I wanted to make some changes.

Don't get discouraged with your Trooper. They are still a go anywhere machine. I bought mine with the intention of modifying it over time. Now when I go out with my buddy's with a RZR4 & RZR S, everyone comments on how bad a$$ mine is ,and I intend to keep it that way.

2scoops

Thanks for clarifying that for me now i'm interested in how you lowered differential

No i'm not discouraged I have passion for cars trucks and utv i'm actually doing another project where I put a lsx engine mated to 6 speed manual in my S10

I'm stoked there is way to improve trooper and I agree I thought it rode very nice as is compared to my original carter brother 5Hp go cart that was a real jarring ride.

I still need to buy a miller welder and learn but i'm thinking about doing the shocks and maybe few other things

I.also bought trooper because its mean looking compared to any other utv out there and the only utv with manual transmission im an manual transmission nut its just more fun to manipulate it.

Also its longer than any other utv I know of out there so that mean to me, better climbing and better ride

I found swing arms and bought pair from silver bullet motor sport it was much much cheaper than I thought and stock not the chromoly set but its the newest version though. I also ordered a higher cfm fan while at it because my engine over heat when I go 55-65 mph for over few miles because I drive on gravel roads to my family houses and its about 10 miles or more on backroads because Iowa doesn't recognize trooper as street legal oh well.

One more question do any of you have oil pressure gauge all good st first start up then after engine get warm u drive around and then stop and idle engine the oil light come on and gauge show almost no oil pressure I been wondering about that anyone have that happen to you too?

I found swing arms and bought pair from silver bullet motor sport it was much much cheaper than I thought and stock not the chromoly set but its the newest version though. I also ordered a higher cfm fan while at it because my engine over heat when I go 55-65 mph for over few miles because I drive on gravel roads to my family houses and its about 10 miles or more on backroads because Iowa doesn't recognize trooper as street legal oh well.

One more question do any of you have oil pressure gauge all good st first start up then after engine get warm u drive around and then stop and idle engine the oil light come on and gauge show almost no oil pressure I been wondering about that anyone have that happen to you too?

what is your idle RPM when that happens? idle should be around 900+/- 50

what is your idle RPM when that happens? idle should be around 900+/- 50

I always thought my rpm was too low it need me to jab at gas pedal when cold starting after sitting for a while. Its at about 600-700

I tried taking off intake tube and tried to adjust the idle screw that meet the throttle cable on the throttle body but geez I can't believe I can't turn the darn screw while throttle body itself is on the engine.

Any pointers for setting the idle?

idle always seem more closer to 500 than the 1000 mark

I also noticed at this rpm with all 6 spotlights on at idle at night the voltmeter drops until I rev up the engine that mean its the idle or a bad belt?

Thanks

Brandon

• 3 weeks later...

I also have the same issue with over heating at high speeds, I installed the bigger fan from Silver Bullet it helped. After my machine gets warm say 200 or higher my oil light comes on and my gauge shows no pressure. I was told it is due to the thinner synthetic oil Im running so I added some Lucas oil stabilizer also take a look at Microlon oil treatment at Microlon.com. Good stuff, I run it in all of my vehicles. Robert.