Quantcast

Hot start issue on the T2

Tinman

Anyone have any issues with starting the T2 once it's been running for a while?

Once the engine is hot, I regularly have to turn the key twice to get it going again. Once I do that, it fires up after two or three seconds. It'll never start on the first shot if it's hot. This is nothing major, but it is annoying.

I've tried tapping the gas on the initial shot, but that was a mistake. I'm guessing the mixture is slightly rich on the hot restart because of this, but I'm not sure.

It turns over just fine both times. I'll explain what I do. I turn the key and the engine turns but doesn't start. I turn the key off for a second or two, then turn the key again. The engine starts fine after that.

I heard of this problem on some Nissans, and Nissan had found no fix - engine starts fine, but only on the second attempt. The manual does have a troubleshoot section for hot start issues, but they speak your language Kinarfi, not mine...

I think I may have the same problem, only cold starts though, but I'm old and retired and have learned that nothing really matters, so if it starts on second or third try, I go play and forget that it didn't start like my GMC that I climb into, put the key in, turn it, it starts, and away I go. I seldom if every crank for more than a second, if it hasn't started by then, I hit the pedal once and try again.

Guest Lenny

Your fuel pump may not be priming good. Maybe try to turn the key on and let the pump prime then turn the key back off before trying to start and then turn it on again and try to start onlyafter it primes a second time. The pump has a check valve in it to hold the prime pressure. If it is leaking slightly it could cause the problem.

Lenny

Your fuel pump may not be priming good. Maybe try to turn the key on and let the pump prime then turn the key back off before trying to start and then turn it on again and try to start onlyafter it primes a second time. The pump has a check valve in it to hold the prime pressure. If it is leaking slightly it could cause the problem.

Lenny

Yeah. I found that doing what Kinarfy does with a cold start helps - pump the gas once before turning the switch. I'll try your idea.

I wouldn't have mentioned it, except that I have the only Joyner in Panama. This means everyone comes and looks, and starting trouble on a hot engine is slightly embarrassing.

Guest Lenny

Try to hold the throttle to the floor when starting it hot. It could be flooded and holding the pedal all the way down puts it into flood clear mode when starting. In flood clear mode, the computer won't inject any fuel so flooding can clear.

Lenny

As Lenny mentioned to me over the weekend for every hour of riding he does he spends 8 hours working on it and modifying it. He truly enjoys it that is for sure. I am just appreciative that he shares his knowledge with all of us because it sure makes fixing our problems a helluva lot easier! We lost another contributor in Rocmoc because he sold his. He was at the Jamboree for just a few hours with his new purchase a Dune Buggy with a VW engine. That is no fun to work on compared to a Joyner and you know it Rocmoc. That is just too easy. Our Joyners are what makes us not sleep at night trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with them! You know you want to get another one after seeing us all this weekend. LOL