Quantcast

Make 4" more leg room

Kinarfi

Since I had to pull the floor pans and numerous other items to get to where my frame needed welding, It only needed another day or two my schedule, slow, to add 4" to my leg room. Doesn't seem too hard to do, I was planning on 6", but at 4", I had pretty much used up the the excess brake line length, so I stopped at 4" and called the guy that is lengthening my front drive line and told him 4 instead of 6, glad I got to him in time. Should be ready tomorrow.

http://good-times.we...104110397MQGVug

Kinarfi

Just a little comment, Lenny and Rocmoc both made their machines smaller or shorter, Lenny made his smaller, shorter and tighter to the point I can't even get in, never got the chance to try and get into Rocmoc's, now mine is + sized, but not as long as a T4

Sounds like the Poison Spider will have more to sink his fangs into next time--lol. Glad to hear you are making it work for you. I recently went into a Polaris dealership (it was right next to a metal fab business where I was getting some square tubing) and sat in the RZR XP 900. The left foot legroom was a joke for my 6' 4" frame. Ironically as small as it was inside it felt wider than the Trooper. I realized it was probably the oversized plastics. Definately not the best trail machine. The 800 is much better for the trails. Also, aside from the plastics and the drivetrain, the fit and finish felt no better than a Trooper--plastic everywhere you look.

My son has a RZR 4 seat and he took me back up to where I broke my shaft and I listened to the sound of the engine and I think I like the sound of the Trooper, the speed of the Trooper engine varies and RZR just stays pretty constant, the other thing is I can not even drive it, the one time my wife & I took if for a ride, she had to drive. My extension is coming along nicely, guess I ought to post a few more photos, inspite of how ugly some of my welds are :wacko: and if any one says all of them or says anything about a pigeon flying over, I'll delete your post!!! :D What I did was clamp 1" X 1/2" channel iron on both sides of the tube which aligns it and weld it, the tubes that you step over to get in got a 4" piece of tube from the roll over bar and piece of channel and then ground smooth, looks good. IMHO

Does having extra metal on a weld make up for it being ugly?

Looks and feels, but I ain't tasting it, 3 more photos, FYI for those who don't know me, I used to be 6'4", but then I crashed an ultra lite airplane and crippled myself pretty good, mostly from knees down now and some in the back, virtually no control over my ankles, left is fused, twice, and right is real floppy, so the extra room will make it safer for me to drive because I can get my feet above and on to the pedals easier.

Guest Lenny

Good job Kinarfi. That is a pretty ambitious project. Havn't known you to be afraid of much though. And I thought I was a glutten for punishment.

Lenny

going back together, need seal for carrier bearing, man did it take grease, there was no grease zerk on it, I ended up with a whole box of them and only needed one, so if any one wants one, send my a dollar for postage and I'll send you a zerk, and I melted the clutch cable, got one coming from Casey, went down to house of hose and asked if they would fix mine, NO, LIABILITY PROBLEMS!!! so I asked how much to make one? +$90, forget you!!!

2994644000104110397DjcFAf_th.jpg I didn't like all the holes and open areas to collect dust, dirt, mud and water that I created, so I filled every thing up with that foam in a can.

When I was welding up the cracks in my frame, one of them started blowing steam out, don't think that's a good thing :huh: Making another thread of where all my cracks are.

Kinarfi

It's all back together and has been out in the mountains for a test ride, The 6" I tried for would have been too much! 4" is good, 3" would have perfect, It's much easier to get in and out of for this cripple, had to clean up the seat position adjuster so I can move back and forth easily The sounds emanating from from the machine are a lot better too, all those cracks and breaks must have had some bearing on that, or maybe it was running with out the skid plates. Pleased with the new plastic sides. Need to do a photo shoot/walk around/document session for my records one of these next days of every thing I have ever done to it. Always good to have as reference material.

I'm glad it worked out for you. It will be interesting to see how much performance has changed when you get in the real off-roading.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I expect my performance, as to where I can go, to be the same, but my enjoyment should improve some, quieter ( I attribute this to welded cracks in the frame), better leg room, safer because I can get my feet to the right peddle easier, hopefully less dust (I sealed up a lot of openings with foam insulation). So far, if there is a down side, it would be the reach to the steering wheel and maybe the 1" wide piece of metal running down the under side of the center tube, or maybe it's a plus because the Trooper will slide on it over rocks.

It is interesting how different the noises are though!!!! IMHO

PS, I did take it up on the face of Mount Timpanogos via Timpooneke which is about miles pavement and mile of mountain road, no mud, but rock to dusty silt to grassy to gravel smooth to very not smooth.

And plan to get more time on it soon :):)