Jump to content


Canister connected to valve cover

Recommended Posts

Is the chromed canister directly connected to the valve cover important? I can only imagine this being some sort of EPA thing? The previous owner ran a hose from the valve cover to the rear (that's how bad the blow-by was). And the small hose coming from the top of the valve cover I assume goes to the opposite side of the canister? Aside from buying a new canister, what should I do with these ports?

I borrowed this image from another post by Plumber... how do I get images to display as a thumbnail?



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not the one in the back (top on pic), the one with the hose coming out of the valve cover (breather) and going directly to it. The small hose is missing on mine, but I assume it also goes to the canister because blow-by was coming out of it too.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is 2008... but that pic above isn't of mine. I don't know what year that trooper in pic is. Mine has the back canister with the screw off top (hose going to the radiator), but where the other canister is I have nothing but an empty bracket.

here is a pic of mine with missing canister. You can see an empty bracket if you look close enough.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I made my own canister, see attached, the port on the valve cover goes to an oil/air separator, the oil returns to the pan on the forward passenger side and the air goes to the intake after the filter. Mine was bypassing so much that the chrome canister had oil running down the outside, this contraption won't leak. If you have questions, ask




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Similar Topics

    • By Kinarfi
      My right rear wheel bearing has gone bad and made lots of horrid noises before I got it into the garage, I'm trying to break the 36mm nut so I can get at everything, but so far, all I have broken is my 1/2" breaker bar, I guess 6' of extension pipe was a bit too much - busted the 1/2" square piece, banged my wife's shin and bent a lug bolt that I'll have to replace. Called a friend and he came over with his 3/4" drive set and broke the nut loose while I stood on the brakes with 4 X 4 and lockers. Any advanced advice for what I'm going to find, I'm done with it for the day and going to go play with the grand kids.
    • By Mark Chapman
      Hello everyone, getting my 2018 alli 500 delivered in 3 weeks, got it from factory in texas! Any tips or comments for the newbie ?
    • By GDS
      I pulled the valve covers off the mule to adjust the valves. They have been tapping loudly. The two exhaust were correct but the 2 intakes were around .023. But the question is this As I was adjusting I found I could easy open the valve by lightly pressing. Should they should be stiffer than that?    
    • By NewCadetOwner
      Just wanted to pass along my little project after not finding any ready made accessories for adding a rear winch.  I always say a front winch is to get others out of trouble.  A rear winch is to get me out of trouble.   I had my local steel shop bend up a rear bracket and integrated it into the rear frame of the machine.  I extended the rear hitch and utilized the existing rear pin with the new bracket.   The bracket bolts to existing holes on each side of frame and is super strong.  I bought a 3500lb winch from Harbor Freight that matches the OEM front winch in all respects except the labels.   I added a second corded remote to the dash and extended the power leads to reach the rear with the control box mounted with the front one.  Total project cost was $225.

  • Create New...