Quantcast

Shock options

ERV JR

After 4 years of storage I drug the trooper out and serviced it . Did a few hot laps and remembered what a rough ride it had. So I read a post there are take off shocks from other utvs that work on the rear , but no details so what do I look for and what brand fronts hace most used ? I looked into Foa and also fox years back then let it collect dust. My wife says I should trade it for  an xj or a suburban or k5 and build a crawler since we have 4 kids. I was with her on the idea last week then yesterday I took it for a spin and had a blast.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

silverbullet

They have been around 6 years.The sell under there brand also other company's who brand them under there name. Quality is vary good we have taken one apart and it looked vary clean and merchine was top notch.Seals looked top quality.Thay give you a one year warrant.I don't know if any other company carry's a 1 year warrant.

silverbullet

Look let me tell you guys.Th Yearben shocks are a good replacement shock for the Joyner junk.The price is good for a good Quality shock.Don't over think it.Yes there are better shocks out there but do you have 1800.00 to 2200.00 spend on them.Are they going to make your Trooper the best riding 4x4 out there.No!Its and option that you did not have before.You were stuck buying Joyner Junk.I have sold 11 sets and no complaints.

Im not positive on current pricing,you would have to check with Trevor or Karen at Mudslinger...but the elkas used to be around $1ooo a pair front or rear  Canadian..so with our poor dollar around maybe $750 US..Im running air shocks on mine..not for everyone as they are a tad finicky,but Im pretty happy with the shocks/suspension mods for the last few years

silverbullet

Look let me tell you guys.Th Yearben shocks are a good replacement shock for the Joyner junk.The price is good for a good Quality shock.Don't over think it.Yes there are better shocks out there but do you have 1800.00 to 2200.00 spend on them.Are they going to make your Trooper the best riding 4x4 out there.No!Its and option that you did not have before.You were stuck buying Joyner Junk.I have sold 11 sets and no complaints. Ours are set of 4 shocks.1,000 + shipping

I'm still getting up, but when I go down to the garage, I'll take another look at my Yearben shocks and mileage, when I bought this thing, I ordered with the upgrade and I have been really happen with the ride, I had oversprung my 2008 Trooper and it would launch the rear end and also bottom out and jar my back, doesn't happen much with my 2015 and the yearben shocks, my wife is much happier with them too.  I must say though that I'm seeing an oily shaft and that's what I need to go down to the garage to see if it's one or two and mileage. Have you checked prices at http://joyner-usa.com/ or Call Us Today! (480) 882.9612

silverbullet

Yearben has been making shock in Chine.6 years of making shocks. What is in the picture is the Yearben shocks. I can only sell in sets of 4 pieces.

I am sorry but this is the only way I can buy them for awhile.1,000 set of four 1 year warrant on them kits to rebuild them are aveable to rebuild them.Kinarfi  said he had a small leak after 2 years. Kit are aveable to reseal them. They have made changes in the two years to improve them.

Sorry Rick

Kinarfi here, I have removed the yearben shocks!! The ones I have are NOT revalvable, the nut is welded on, there was oil in the reservoir pressure chamber and gas (air or Nitrogen) in the shock body, and no shock action, just springs at ~4000 miles, I haven't been able to get a rebuild kit, and you better figure on having to replace the shock eyes too, That's my experience, my thoughts are that they are what you pay for, CHEAP throw aways and no better the the stock shock

Edited by Kinarfi
correction and add truth to post

If there is room on the price i would be interested. But at that price I'm hesitant to purchase a shock that I'm ccertain they copied and reverse enginered. I'm hesitant because I'm not certain of how they coppied and what corners where cut

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

silverbullet

Hi I wish i could help but i can't.The 1000.00 is the cheapest i can go.I am not making any real money but the Joyner stuff is so bad that every time i bough them from Joyner it pissed me off that they were charging so much for junk.That is one of the reasons i do not buy from them.Every thing i am getting from China i always make sure i get a better product.That makes me happy.Joyner sells them but i would not know how much they get for them.One time they told me 1700.00 set of four.Call them and tell them you got a price of 1,000.They said they would match any price plus 5 % off.Shipping is always the problem.When they get parts they get vehicles so they fill the rest of the room with parts.So shipping is cheep plus the quantity is much larger than mine.So they are making more money on each part.On copying others parts every body dose that.What makes a king shock worth 2,800 for a set.They are charging you for the name King.Vary good shock but 1,800 more i don't think so

True about a king. But an F.O.A 2.5 is $200 & $25 for dual rate hardware. Then springs for about $60. They have been around and are Us based makes me feel better knowing that I can get service. Also if I drop the diffs down and build a shock hoop I can order to length and have more travel. The trooper was decent in 09 compared to a rhino but now it really lacks compared to what else is out there. If I'm spending money it had better be worth it and make it better.
The one argument of the shock hardware is a non issue. I can easily turn a few pieces on the lathe to make adaptors. Even better is to make tabs and tig them on .

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

silverbullet

Thats great I have never heard FOA but on this site.I am glade you found what you need.I am glade you did not buy Joyner.I liked the info you gave me and question you asked. Good luck no hard feelings. We will be bringing heavy duty throttle cables and clutch cables being made now in China Much better quality than Joyner.Outer C/V joints complete with cage balls and boots.1100 and 800 cc vipers.Keep checking the UTV board for new items.We still sell all Chery parts made buy Chery Joyner uses aftermarket parts. A complete far less quality why do you think Joyner Engines need rebuilding with 200 to 600 miles. Chery cars last 100,00 miles.Yes dirt was a problem because of cheep quality air filters and poor quality filter housing.But cheep parts also make them wear out sooner than they should.We have built many Chery engines with no warrant problem's. A few oil leaks like main crank leak. We build performance engines with no warrant problems. Supercharger is going to dyno on the end of month.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to looking at my shocks, I think the right rear is gone or going, at 3460 miles,  called Brandon at Joyner USA and he's sending me a set of rebuild kits and gave me some advice, while rebuilding, lose the aluminum sleeve around the shaft, gives more travel but require the use of limit strap, which you should use any way and fill them with 140 PSI nitrogen, air will work, but! the air molecule is smaller than the nitrogen molecule, so air leaks out faster than it does with nitrogen. Personal thought, air is mostly nitrogen any way, so how does it leak out faster, or is it the O2 and CO2 part that's leaking out

IMG_20170428_141316.jpg

IMG_20170428_135922.jpg

silverbullet

If you get a better price from Joyner than that is a good thing. Thar prices have been high since the were bought out buy a new company.So in the end i am keeping them honest.They buy a much bigger quantity so they should be less expensive.  But we stand behind every thing we make and sell with a strong warrant.

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2017 at 10:55 AM, silverbullet said:

silverbullet

Kinarfi Has them on his new trooper.

Silverbullet, DO NOT tell people I have them on my Trooper, I Don't, and I wouldn't unless you gave them to me for free, and then, I would just keep them for  emergency back up,  I DON'T LIKE THEM AND DON'T WANT ANYONE THINKING I DO

On 4/28/2017 at 11:03 PM, silverbullet said:

silverbullet

They use nitrogen in shocks because it contain no moisture. So no corrosion or contaminate the in side of shocks. Never use air or you will destroy the valving  in side the shocks.

I have to call "bull shit" on this statement!  if air is used in shocks, even if it's 'wet', it is in the reservoir pressure tank, not in the oil, not mixed with the oil and does not contact the valving washers!  Maybe it does in Yearbens, don't know, but there was a lot of oil in the pressure part of the reservoir, and there seemed to be air/or nitrogen in the oil when I drained them, but it's my understanding oil and air/nitrogen shouldn't mix in any shock. 

The purpose of pressure on one side of the floating piston is to assist the oil in returning to the shock body as the shaft leaves the shock body during rebound, it keeps the oil from cavitating and adds nothing directly to the suspension and definitely doesn't damage valving washers. Not in anything I've seen.

oh yes, F-O-A Shocks are sold out of Las Vegas

http://f-o-a.com/contact-us/