Quantcast

Brand new trooper Intermittent starting issue

I've had a 2016 trooper for a few months, it's never worked properly.  I'm about ready to take it to a dealer for warranty work but it's a little far so I'm trying to avoid it.  It on occasion will not start. It took a while to figure out that if I open the throttle just a little bit it will fire, I then have to hold it open for anywhere from five to thirty seconds for it to idle on it's own.  Other times it fires right off no problem.  

It's turbocharged, and has two pumps.  I've verified that the fuel pressure is correct.  Joyner has had me swap a bunch of parts to eliminate them.  I suggested it seems that possibly the IAC is malfunctioning or that it's getting incorrect inputs from the tps but they disagreed.  I've read that people have had similar issues stemming from the IAC but until I get a replacement from them I can't verify.  I tried setting base idle a little higher with the set screw but the idle just gets erratic and won't idle down once I've given it some throttle.  

I'm going to call them again tomorrow and have them send a new throttle body to try, and I also have a scanner for European cars coming that is supposed to read chery automotive ecu's; after that it may be time to haul it in.  Anyone else had a similar issue?

Silverbullet

Sinces it is turbocharged it is hard to tell.I always tell every body to go back to basics.1) compression test this is the most important check.One you do that than its time to test the fuel injection.Changing parts is not the way to fix this you need to test the sensors.Send email to me and i will send a shop manual to [email protected] its intermittent it could be a vacuum leak.But you can check each sensor and map sensor or crank sensor.But do compression and i will send shop manual.Its not hard to check all sensors with a volt meter an then you can be sure you can find out the proublum.

Thanks

12 minutes ago, silverbullet said:

Silverbullet

Sinces it is turbocharged it is hard to tell.I always tell every body to go back to basics.1) compression test this is the most important check.One you do that than its time to test the fuel injection.Changing parts is not the way to fix this you need to test the sensors.Send email to me and i will send a shop manual to [email protected] its intermittent it could be a vacuum leak.But you can check each sensor and map sensor or crank sensor.But do compression and i will send shop manual.Its not hard to check all sensors with a volt meter an then you can be sure you can find out the proublum.

Thanks

I definitely don't want to just be changing parts but I don't  have the specs for anything so that's been their way of handling it since it's still under warranty.  It doesn't even have 100 miles on it.  I'll email you thanks.

Email sent, I will check it I have all the tools here.  I actually had planned to anyway as the fuel pressure had been set way too high(80 psi at idle)  by the turbo installer.  I was concerned the cylinders may have been washed down.  Anyway thanks for the help.

Silverbullet

Sound like you have fixed the 1 problem the TPS.After you get it installed i would check out the turbo system.You should have A/F ratio gauge.So you know if everything is working to make sure it's running right.I hope everything works good if not just call me and i will help you out.Let me know if this fixed the starting problem i log everything in a book so i can reference it when customers call me with problems. Make sure you snorkel your air filter to the roof 3"pvc.If you drive sand then go Uni filter if dirt than go K&N Good luck.I have cams to help with turbo lag.Easy install.Good Luck

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've tried a lot of different things, checked everything again and again.(voltages, fuel pressure, resistance of sensors etc.). They're sending me a throttle body since it's still under warranty after that I'm taking it to a shop and they're paying to have it fixed.  It's brand new, I shouldn't have to bury all these hours into it already.

• 3 weeks later...

when you try to start, is the engine turn over and it won't light off or is it not engaging the starter? If not engaging starter, tap on the fuse box and see if that gets you going, I had to put some foam tape I had on the top of the bottom left relay to solve my problem, that is the relay the comes in when you step on the brake which is interlocked with the start ket.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 8:42 AM, Kinarfi said:

when you try to start, is the engine turn over and it won't light off or is it not engaging the starter? If not engaging starter, tap on the fuse box and see if that gets you going, I had to put some foam tape I had on the top of the bottom left relay to solve my problem, that is the relay the comes in when you step on the brake which is interlocked with the start ket.

Jeff

It always fires but then dies right away, really seems fuel related.  Starting to think it could be related to the dual fuel pump set up for the turbo.  Haven't had much time to mess with it lately.  Have an appointment to have a warranty repair done.

if it just idles to slow to keep running, dial the idle up a little. these thing have an electronic idle that fail and then you have to adjust the idle mechanically, it the little screw on the top right of intake. My electronic worked great for a long time on both my vehicles, but alas, it failed on both.

Jeff