Quantcast

Dan B

2014 Joyner Renegade/Trooper Engine RPM vs Vehicle Speed in 5th Gear

If any of Joyner owners are out and about, could you please let me know what your engine RPMs vs Vehcile speed is when you're in 5th gear?  My Renegade sounds like it's wound up real tight when traveling.  For instance, I get about 10 mph per 1,000 RPMs while in 5th gear (45 mph = 4500 RPMs).  Is that normal?  I'm used to lower RPMs.  Other ATVs & UTVs running round my neighborhood that sound like their engine RPMs aren't that high.

that's sounds correct to me, I often look to the tach for how fast I'm going, same on my 08 and 2015,  

10mph per 1000 rpm

Thanks for checking on that for me.  I was afraid I didn't have a 5th gear even though the shift lever was in the 5th gear position.  I just hope my engine doesn't bust a gut traveling fast.  The tach can be a backup speedometer and vice versa.

Thanks again.

I was wondering about the high rpms as well. I love the low 1st gear but wish there was a way to change the rest of the gear ratios. Would sure be nice to be able run along 45 or 50 at about 3000 rpm and not have to listen to a screaming engine. Maybe some day someone will come out with some different gears to change it to.  I have a new renegade 1100 r2

My guess:  I believe the high RPM requirement has something to do with the relatively low torque of the engine itself.  With a higher HP & torque value, the transmission & differential can have lower gear ratios giving better top end speeds at lower engine RPMs.  My 6.0L engine can move my 8000lb van at 65 mph with the engine turning at 1800 rpm..

I understand what you're saying and somewhat agree, but my renegade rpms just turns up to high when traveling down the road. My old 800 cc buggy had half the hp & ran much faster @ much lower rpms. My Renegade 1100 @ 86 hp has enough power to handle longer rpm splits between 3rd, 4th and 5th. I winter in Yuma, AZ. Lots of utv & atv dealers & repair shops around. I'm gonna look around to see if I can find a better geared trany replacement. Has to be some way to add some legs to it & maintain my 1st & 2nd hill climbing gears. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By DirtGrl
      Hey guys! My throttle cable broke in its housing. Can anyone tell me what aftermarket cable would work for a 1100 renegade Joyner?
      TIA
    • By j.fulciniti
      Hello Folks - newbie here with my first post so go easy on me.  I picked up a Buck 400 in May 2020 direct from Massimo when they were doing a closeout sale on the 400 models.  I read the reviews and was skeptical. 
      We live in a golf cart community  we do not plan any off roading - just some very mild work tasks like hauling firewood / brush etc.  Honestly, all we do is cruise around our neighborhood roads.  I pulled the trigger b/c the price was cheaper than a 2WD lifted golf cart and the Buck  had way more features.
      We have a few steep hills and after about 20 - 30 minutes of cruising, my check engine light comes on.  It only happens when we are going up or down one of the hills .  We head straight home and things seem fine the next day.  Light never comes on unless we tackle multiple hills during one ride.
      Should I be worried?  
      PS - Unit is 4 months old and has 258 miles on it - barely broken in.  I've yet to go full throttle on a flat or up a hill. 
    • By Randy Stevens
      Hey all, I bought a Hisun 550 back in June of 2019. After 6 weeks of ownership, this machine took to sputtering when started and under power. I checked everything I could think of before I took it back to place of purchase....(rural king), since it had a one year warranty.   They kept it almost two months stating they were waiting to get info from Hisun to rectify the issue (supposedly faulty drivers seat belt). I was told by the tech that they replace seat belt harness and cured the problem. It did! Ran just fine again for almost a year and now the very same issue has returned. After doing a little investigating on my own, I noticed that rural king did not replace the seat belt harness at all.  The wires to seat belt connector was cut and spliced and taped back together. Now I’m not real sure what the real problem is as that tech is no longer with company and can’t seem to locate the past work order for my machine.  Hisun customer service is non existent . I’m on my own and begging for help. Im mechanically inclined but if this is an electricical issue, I’m screwed! No warranty left. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
    • By Chad Rice
      HELP - my wife and i just bought a 2013 joyner trooper 1100 and we rode for 2 evenings with no problems. Went to ride last night and all of a sudden it acted like something was catching up and it didn't want to move easily. Whatever it was must've broke and now it moves with no problem but is making a rubbing/grinding noise somewhere in the backend. Could it be wheel bearing, differential, or something in cv shaft. Any info or similar experiences is appreciated. 
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Kelly Stump
      Just put new rings in my joyner trooper 1100 and it still smokes. I dont know what else to do. Can some one tell me why?
    • By Dan B
      The brake pads on my Renegade seem to be quite thin, less than 1800 miles.  Does anyone know what the thickness of new brake pad friction material is.  It will give me an idea as to how much brake pad life I might have left.  A supplier or suitable substitues would also be helpful in case I need to get new ones.  Thanks in advance.
    • By Michael Kinlaw
      I have a 2016 R4 and I was about to load it on my trailer and the steering just broke I think. My front wheels are both pointing outwards. Does this mean front differential broke?  I jacked it up and got them both pointing in the right direction. When up in the air they work together. But as soon as I put back on the ground and move it a few feet they separate again. 
    • By Rapidray4x4
      I need help locating a rear cv style driveline for my early 2008 t4 trooper. I have broken 2 ujoints now and almost put a hole in the oil pan! I found one place but they wont return my calls. The mud season started and i got a big paper weight. Any help is greatly appreciated by me and my family.
    • By fettman1176
      Hello fellow Joyner dudes, i am looking for any ideas or pics on some doors my Trooper fleet. Any advice would be appreciated.