Quantcast

Bruce Benwa

Old Mule 2010 Oil Change Help

I have a 1990 Kawasaki Mule 2010 (KAF540C) with 535 cm3 air cooled single cylinder engine. Need help locating the oil fill location, dipstick location and drain plug location for an oil change. Was told that the engine oil and rear differential share the same fluids. Is this correct? Found the rear end fill plug, sight glass, and drain plug, but the level in the sight glass is several inches below the engine crankcase. How can there be any oil in the engine if the oil level is lower than the engine? Please help! Bruce

• Like 1

Welcome fellow Mule owner! Here are some diagrams. http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/l/kaw/50a979bcf8700218fcc0695e/2007-prior-mule-2010-kaf540-c1-parts

1 hour ago, Bruce Benwa said:

How can there be any oil in the engine if the oil level is lower than the engine? Please help! Bruce

That's what they call an "Oil pan" the pump sits down in it and the pump pumps the oil through the oil passages, the entire engine (Crankcase) is not filled with oil.

Sounds like you need an owners manual. If you plan on working on it yourself, then maybe a shop service manual.

My mule is a diesel model, from a different year, so my information wouldn't help. But the oil drain can be found on the bottom of the oil pan. Mine is hidden by the skid plate. The dip stick, and the filler cap should be topside. 

• Like 1

No, rear end and engine oil fill isn't the same.  Pick up the seat and look for  a round plastic plug probably 4 inches around. Pop it out and you will see a dipstick, it has a rubber end, pull it out and that is where you put the engine oil in. The drain plug or plugs are under the engine. You can remove either one and drain the engine oil. You will have to jack the mule up. I put mine on jack stands for better viewing. You will see the oil filer in front of the engine and the oil plug is in the general area to the side or below. I cannot remember at the moment. But, no, engine and rear end oil aren't the same on the Mule. Most of the smaller 4 wheelers are, but not the Mule.  Hope you didn't get this to late. 

I recommend looking at Techspark studio, they make manuals for KAWASAKI on C D, and you can print the pages you need out...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Travis
      Just bought a  UTV cloth/tarp cover for the Mule. 39.99 at Cabela's. Real thick with covered vent holes to keep it form being a furnace on the inside.
       Got here in about 4 days.  The camo cover is $70, or you can get the olive drab for $40. Really happy with my purchase
      https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-UTV-Cover/1229734.uts

BUT ,DO NOT! UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRY TO UN FOLD, AND PUT THE COVER ON WHILE IT'S WINDY! UNLESS YOU WANT TO GO PARAGLIDING.
    • By Gerald Clarendon Sr
      I have a 2012 Kawasaki 4000 Mule and the hood release cable is frozen and will not move. I want to replace the cable and have removed the fenders, hood, cargo box to access the cable. I finally had to remove the plastic dash far enough away so I could get a wrench on the nut holding the cable release knob in place. That's a lot of fun. I cannot remove the pin holding the cable to the release bar mechanism. Is that a force fit pin or what. There are no keepers holding it in place. Any suggestions on how to get the cable out? I can see why the previous owner never fixed it as you have to remove the whole front to get to the cable. I've tried penetrating fluids to make the cable work with no success. Your help is appreciated. Gerry C.
    • By Travis
      2019 KAWASAKI MULE PRO-MX
      MIDSIZE MULE™ MODEL JOINS KAWASAKI MULE™PRO SIDE X SIDE LINE UP
      Following multiple accolades for its MULE™ PRO series, Kawasaki continues to grow the MULE PRO family with the addition of the all-new MULE PRO-MX™ side x side to the 2019 lineup. The MULE PRO-MX features increased recreational abilities and rugged,no-nonsense styling that further establishes the mid-size, compact side x side as the customer’s dependable choice for work or play.
      http://www.utvguide.net/2019-kawasaki-mule-pro-mx/
    • By Travis
      I was reading a VS. article on ATV.COM, and they were doing a head to head  with the Pro FX EPS, and the Textron Prowler. And they said Kawasaki is using a  812 CC Chery motor for the Mule!
       Kind of surprised me, i thought Kawasaki used their own engines for the mules.
      🤔
    • By Travis
      Once i get the cylinder honed, the only remaining problem is the crankshaft shim..  And i have a few questions.
      1. In the manual it gives a solution to the problem i'm having of the crank NOT spinning when the cover on (by hand).
      2.  And i just can't wrap what's left of my brain around the instructions, i guess use a caliper to measure? (instructions  circled in red)
       (my brother has been helping me, he's fairly knowledgeable with this stuff, but more Diesel engines than anything) and he says to use a dial indicator set up, and to use this* as a spec for end play. and that would help us get the measurements needed in picture #2.
      1st pic is the runout. But is it the same as crankshaft end play? 🤔

2nd pic is of the instructions (solution) to get the correct shim.
       I don't know, maybe this makes sense the way i wrote it.
       Thanks, Travis.