Welcome to UTV BOARD - UTV Forum, Side by Side Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bruce Benwa

Old Mule 2010 Oil Change Help

6 posts in this topic

I have a 1990 Kawasaki Mule 2010 (KAF540C) with 535 cm3 air cooled single cylinder engine. Need help locating the oil fill location, dipstick location and drain plug location for an oil change. Was told that the engine oil and rear differential share the same fluids. Is this correct? Found the rear end fill plug, sight glass, and drain plug, but the level in the sight glass is several inches below the engine crankcase. How can there be any oil in the engine if the oil level is lower than the engine? Please help! Bruce

1 person likes this

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

Welcome fellow Mule owner! Here are some diagrams. http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/l/kaw/50a979bcf8700218fcc0695e/2007-prior-mule-2010-kaf540-c1-parts

1 hour ago, Bruce Benwa said:

How can there be any oil in the engine if the oil level is lower than the engine? Please help! Bruce

That's what they call an "Oil pan" the pump sits down in it and the pump pumps the oil through the oil passages, the entire engine (Crankcase) is not filled with oil.

Sounds like you need an owners manual. If you plan on working on it yourself, then maybe a shop service manual.

My mule is a diesel model, from a different year, so my information wouldn't help. But the oil drain can be found on the bottom of the oil pan. Mine is hidden by the skid plate. The dip stick, and the filler cap should be topside. 

1 person likes this

No, rear end and engine oil fill isn't the same.  Pick up the seat and look for  a round plastic plug probably 4 inches around. Pop it out and you will see a dipstick, it has a rubber end, pull it out and that is where you put the engine oil in. The drain plug or plugs are under the engine. You can remove either one and drain the engine oil. You will have to jack the mule up. I put mine on jack stands for better viewing. You will see the oil filer in front of the engine and the oil plug is in the general area to the side or below. I cannot remember at the moment. But, no, engine and rear end oil aren't the same on the Mule. Most of the smaller 4 wheelers are, but not the Mule.  Hope you didn't get this to late. 

I recommend looking at Techspark studio, they make manuals for KAWASAKI on C D, and you can print the pages you need out...