Quantcast

shawnry

winch question

Hey guys, what winch would you recommend for my Honda Pioneer? And what size? I'm thinking that a 3000 lb rating is good enough. Warn provantage is a popular choice though pricey. How about a Smittybilt winch? What do you think about their ATV winch?

Depending on what you want to do with it, the 3000 lb. winch is probably what you want. For getting a stuck 1200 pound vehicle out of the mud, a 3000 lb. winch is a minimum. But that doesn't mean it'll always be enough to do the job in a worst case scenario. Even with a snatch block, there could be a time there's simply not enough power. 

For logs, it should be enough, especially when used with a snatch block, or 2.

I find a winch to be a lot of trouble to actually use, and I typically use a come along more often. The winch cable is a pain to get it retracted properly. If it's not done right it'll foul it up in the winding, making it tough to deploy next time. Or worse, it'll damage the cable. You'll want to switch to that soft winch rope as soon as possible, you'll like it better.

My recommendation is to buy a harbor freight model, or similar, since you won't use it much. Get one with a wireless remote, but make sure there's a wired controller too. Wireless is very handy, but dead batteries can ruin your day. Use a winch cover. 

Winching is very dangerous, so read up on proper techniques. ALWAYS leave the motor running! These things can draw a battery down in seconds, at full power.

Remember, the nearest object to anchor to will always be just out of reach when you're stuck. So take a few extra recovery straps. FWIW, I've got the Warn 3000lb. on mine, and it's about the same size machine.  Hope this helps! Good luck

Thanks guys! That's a lot of info. My friend is selling a used Provantage 4000 with synthetic rope. I will check it tomorrow.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By cliffyk
      Hello all,
      While "surfing" at Amazon I stumbled across this Wireless Winch Remote Control for $17.

It comes with absolutely NO documentation, but fortunately I was able to garner what I needed from scouring the web and examining the wired pendant controller that came with the "Thing" (what SWMBO calls my Outfitter 400).
      Once installed I found it performed just as claimed and in fact better--my testing found the remotes to have  a solid 120 + ft range--though I cannot for the life of me envision a situation where I'd want to run the winch from 100 feet away?  The control module is fully potted and waterproof, the remotes are well made and as sturdy as they need to be,  HIGHLY recommended!
      If anyone is interested I can post photos and a wiring diagram...
    • By [email protected]
      As I have shopped around I have noticed the  sxs manufacturers leave out things I consider critical like a windshield and a roof counting on you buying extra stuff. 
      Is there any advantage to buying accessories from the dealership when buying a new one? 
      Is there any general quality difference between OEM and aftermarket accessories?
      I also plan to buy a winch and am considering a Harbor Freight winch.  Thoughts?  Also, I've always thought the idea of a receiver mounted hitch makes lots of sense so you can use it on the front or back.  Has anyone seen this done?  Thoughts?
    • By Artdawg113
      I am lookin for recommendations. I would like to put a winch on my 2019 Honda Pioneer 1000-5.  I have been looking at the Warn Axon 55s but would entertain any feedback from people regarding this or other winches. 
    • By Carl Rhodes
      2017 Honda pioneer with front tires 27-9R12 (rims 6.5 wide) and back tires 27-11R-12 (rims 8.0 wide).  What issues if mounting theses tires on rims 7 wide?
    • By Travis
      My uncle has a Warn winch he used to have On his gas Yamaha golf cart, he said I could have it if I wanted it, I'm just not quite sure how to hook it up, wiring wise.
      I have no other electrical accessories that are tasking the alternator (15 amp)
      And I can still buy the OEM winch mount or fabricate one myself.
      The mule has 2 electrical accessories hook ups, but it's a fairly small wire, not sure if could handle the load..  I even though about welding up a plate as there is plenty of room to mount another battery for the winch only either under the bed or under the front dash/firewall. And using a deep cycle battery and keep it on a tender.
      A winch would come in handy for moving larger limbs or stumps  or sections of a tree when I'm by myself.
      Any info how to proceed is appreciated.
      As most of you know, Mule 550, ksf300-c5.