Welcome to UTV BOARD - UTV Forum, Side by Side Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

shawnry

winch question

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys, what winch would you recommend for my Honda Pioneer? And what size? I'm thinking that a 3000 lb rating is good enough. Warn provantage is a popular choice though pricey. How about a Smittybilt winch? What do you think about their ATV winch?

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

Depending on what you want to do with it, the 3000 lb. winch is probably what you want. For getting a stuck 1200 pound vehicle out of the mud, a 3000 lb. winch is a minimum. But that doesn't mean it'll always be enough to do the job in a worst case scenario. Even with a snatch block, there could be a time there's simply not enough power. 

For logs, it should be enough, especially when used with a snatch block, or 2.

I find a winch to be a lot of trouble to actually use, and I typically use a come along more often. The winch cable is a pain to get it retracted properly. If it's not done right it'll foul it up in the winding, making it tough to deploy next time. Or worse, it'll damage the cable. You'll want to switch to that soft winch rope as soon as possible, you'll like it better.

My recommendation is to buy a harbor freight model, or similar, since you won't use it much. Get one with a wireless remote, but make sure there's a wired controller too. Wireless is very handy, but dead batteries can ruin your day. Use a winch cover. 

Winching is very dangerous, so read up on proper techniques. ALWAYS leave the motor running! These things can draw a battery down in seconds, at full power.

Remember, the nearest object to anchor to will always be just out of reach when you're stuck. So take a few extra recovery straps. FWIW, I've got the Warn 3000lb. on mine, and it's about the same size machine.  Hope this helps! Good luck

Thanks guys! That's a lot of info. My friend is selling a used Provantage 4000 with synthetic rope. I will check it tomorrow.

1 person likes this