Quantcast

Hisun 700 wont crank over

Wyatt Carneal

Hey guys.

I have a 2009 hisun 700 I bought bout 2 weeks ago and it was running fine but was hard to start but once warm it fire rite up  i took the  air filter off and it was nasty so I gave it a good cleaning and it hasn't started since. Its cranking over really slow I replaced the starter. I also replaced the batery. It acts like its not releasing decompression  I found a service manual on line and downloaded it and it said the intake valves setting .010-.015 mm  and exhaust is .015-.020 and they all was set on .008 intake and exhaust. And the timing is set I set the intake to .012 and exhaust to .016 and it still cracks over really slow I'm lost and don't know wat else it could be. Anyone have any ideas.  And help would be great thanks .

• 1 month later...

as for the slow cranking, did you make sure the ground is good from the battery to chassis, and from the chassis to the engine? it needs to have a good ground in order for the power from the battery to do its job with the starter. Otherwise you will have an amp issue. Again, I am assuming everything was okay because you stated it ran before you cleaned it. Take out the spark plug and try to crank it over, see how easy it turns over.

On 1/25/2019 at 11:32 PM, Travis said:

On 1/27/2019 at 8:53 AM, Eddie said:

If not firing, just turning over,  it could have sheared pin on shaft.  Have you checked for spark?  How does plug look?

Eddie

21 minutes ago, strike250 said:

as for the slow cranking, did you make sure the ground is good from the battery to chassis, and from the chassis to the engine? it needs to have a good ground in order for the power from the battery to do its job with the starter. Otherwise you will have an amp issue. Again, I am assuming everything was okay because you stated it ran before you cleaned it. Take out the spark plug and try to crank it over, see how easy it turns over.

21 minutes ago, strike250 said:

Valves seam to work fine  and it has plenty of spark. And it cracks over real good with no plug but it cracks hard as heck with the plug in it.    Its like the starter dosnt have enough curent going to it to crank it over. I've only got 3.4 volts going to the starter  and 4.6 coming out of the starter selinoid.  I was told it wasnt enough volts to the starter I'm completely lost and have no idea on wat else it can be. Thanks for the help guys  sorry it took so long for my reply  guys I just got the notifications saying y'all reied

• Like 1

when the starter relay opens for the starter to engage. it should have a solid 12 volts going to it, and at lease 8-9  volts minimum coming out of it to the starter.  Check to ensure the battery is properly grounded, and ensure the battery cables don't have any corrosion on the ends or at the starter relay and starter. Ensure the starter is properly grounded, meaning it is bolted in tight and that the starter mount bolts are not loose. If you use a jumper wire directly from the battery, (using a cable the same size as the battery cable) to the starter and bypassing the relay, does it still turn over slow? You stated you replaced the battery and starter, was the starter used or new? It almost sounds like a bad starter relay, but need a few more questions first. Is the starter cable or relay getting hot or warm when you are trying to turn over the unit? ?

Matt

I havnt tried to bypass it.  The starter will get warm if u hold the key to let it get past the hard crank spot.   It only has one ground wire on the engine  going to the ground on the battery. It 12.8 volts going into the relay but only 4.6 volts coming out of it with only 3.4 volts at the starter  it spins over bout 1/4 of the way then just creeps over really slow like its to much compression or something like I said b4 it acts like its enough current to turn over without plug but not enough to turn over with plug.    And one the bolts that mounts the relay to the frame is stripped and only 1 bolt is hold it on

OK so I tried bypassing the starter relay and it still didn't turn over any faster than before.  I  checked the valves and I noticed wen u set them and turn it over 180°  and noticed that the valves was loose wen they was post to be tight and I turned it over again to were I set the valves and the left exaust was full tight and the right was Lil to tight and the intake was a Lil to tight  anybody have any idea of wats going on.  im ready to soak it in gas and strike a match to it and watch it burn 

Okay, now that we know the engine is turning over slowly, it really only is limited by a few things. As we are sure there is a fully charged battery turning over the new starter, we have to assume the starter is good and the power to the starter is good. Now the next step is to check the engine timing to ensure it has not skipped a tooth on the cam gear. You have already checked the valve clearance at

0.08 ~ 0.12 mm
(0.0031 ~ 0.0047 in)
0.12 ~ 0.15 mm
(0.0047 ~ 0.0059 in)

So if these numbers are good, then its time to check the engine timing. Put the flywheel at top dead center. you want to get the marks to look like this:

image.png.8ded07f1ac3e9133410ab7c601bff07b.pngremove this cover to inspect the timing marks

image.png.9f1cfb10d5cb5241477d9d973deaa250.png it could also look like the image below

image.thumb.png.2eff6ba3d537f72721bbeecf3e4ab15e.png

Wrench to counterclockwise rotation

Align the “I” mark ① on the rotor with the
stationary pointer ② on the A.C. magneto
cover. When the “I” mark is aligned with the
stationary pointer, the piston is at the Top
Dead Center (TDC).

image.thumb.png.f9a9c39949c5a870211bc5a4d9f78944.png

make sure the mark on the cam gear is pointing straight up and lined up with the mark on the head as in the picture above.

then adjust your valve clearance. This will ensure your timing is correct and that the cam has not jumped a tooth, putting your valve timing incorrectly

• Like 1

Also, remove the spark plug and try turning over the engine by hand and see how easy it turns over. make sure its not making contact with anything when turning it over with a socket wrench. If the timing is correct, and the valves are adjusted properly, then you must have a electrical issue with power going to the starter. I again am assuming you have check the starter, battery, cables and connections.  You can reach me with a private message like the one I sent you. Matt

• 8 months later...
21 hours ago, Jernizzle said:

Did you ever find a fix?  I have the same issue. 

Yes I did.    I replaced the cam like everyone said to do but didnt work. so I was just screwing around with the valves seeing wat it would do if I tightened them. (keep mind it has to b on top dead center). so I tightened the exhaust to no gap at all and it cranked over great so I set the exhaust  to .003 and the Intake on .008 and she pers like a kitten.  So i would consider checking the gap on ur valves and if the exhaust is higher than .004 then I'd recommend doing the same method 

That makes sense. My intake valves seemed to be ok. My exhaust valves seemed to be really loose when I checked them. The locking nuts were extremely tight but the gap appeared to be excessive. I pulled the head cover off to check the cam, timing , decompression springs, and pin and that all looked good. I'm waiting to pick up a new set of feeler gauges to adjust the valves and see what happens. Thank you for the information. 

On 11/11/2019 at 2:16 PM, Jernizzle said:

It worked for me. Adjusted the intake to .008. Couldn't get to the exhaust with the gauges very easily so I turned them all the way in then back out 1/4 of a turn. Threw it all back together, and she cranked better than ever and is running great. Thanks again. 

Glad I could help and glad to know it's back to running 

• 2 years later...

i bought axis 700 new  8 months ago. now it wont turn over not even  a grunt.. measuring  12.8 across batterey terminals,  heard a click in solenid when key is turned.  measuring 4.7 v on top post of starter when key engaged. where is my problem?? any ideas? thanks  phil;

15 hours ago, phil l said:

i bought axis 700 new  8 months ago. now it wont turn over not even  a grunt.. measuring  12.8 across batterey terminals,  heard a click in solenid when key is turned.  measuring 4.7 v on top post of starter when key engaged. where is my problem?? any ideas? thanks  phil;

Phil, it would be helpful if you want to start your own thread and we can help you there.

My guess would be the battery is shot and can't put out enough cranking amps to get the motor spun over.

Go ahead and start a thread and we can work on the issue there.