Quantcast

Trooper Brake Bias

brostar

flatbed had adjusted the Brake Bias on the Trooper and as I was not happy with the brakes on my demo, I thought I'd cheak it out and thanks to the correct info flatbed gave me, I only made one mistake. Firstly, here is a copy & paste of what flatbed told me.

Brostar , took my hood off today just to give her a once over, noticed the leacer that goes from the brake pedal to the reservoirs in on one side, not pushing even on the both reservoirs, figured it was pushing more on the front but checked it out any way. Looked at the manual, when you look careful this thing has got the damiest brake system. The right reservoir controls left front brake and the right rear. The left reservoir controls the right front and the left rear. I am going to centre the rod on the brakes. I cut a window in the fire wall so I could get in there to see what was going on. There is a 10 mm bolt that sticks out that you have to loosen. Once that is loose you can turn the 12mm nuts that are on the shaft to centre the brakes, once centred tighten the 10mm bolt back up. Tried the brakes, they are alot better, mine was all the way to one side. We need to make one reservoir for the front and one for the back. You could probably do it without cutting the fire wall, you will have to take the hood off, If you cut a 12mm wrench so it is short, you will be able to turn it to centre, it will be the nut on the drivers side. When you turn it the nut, stud and other nut on the other side all turn together, just make sure you loosen the 10mm bolt that sticks out, once you see it you will know what I am talking about.

I didn't cut the hole in the firewall because thanks to flatbed, I understood what needed to be done. The mistake I made was when I tightened the drivers side 10mm nut, I also had a 10mm spanner holding on to the other 10mm nut, and guess what, that did not work. Let everything turn and it will middle up. Cheers flatbed, I would recommend this procedure to anyone who feels their brakes aren't what that should be.

Cheers Mike.

Damn my spelling sucks. Notice a improvement in the brakes when i test drove. Now that i have had time to re-think the way these guys plumbed the brakes, it might not be a bad idea, I am used to thinking flat track where you need more front brake that back. I think maybe on these troopers where you are hill climbing and going down hills backwards or on side hills it might not be a bad idea to have the brakes working so they are all the same. What are your thoughts?

I still favor a little more bias to the front. Reason being at speed slowing down more force is on the front brakes and the rears will lock up first if the bias is equal. When climbing, it is the decent that is the toughest and the front bias is balanced with the braking power from the engine on the rear wheels. JMHO! All tho I have not had any brake problems, knock on wood!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

rocmoc, the Trooper brake reservoirs are set up as flatbed described(page 169 in the owner's manual), so the only way you can set it up correctly or to your preference is to have both front and rear brake lines feeding from the same source. Until you do that, this is the way to go but because you are happy with your brakes I would say yours is all ready fairly central. You can just see through the small gap between the reservoirs and the consul with a bright torch pointing up from the floor. Look behind the two brake (middle & right) reservoirs for the 10mm bolt that sticks out. That bolt needs to be in the middle.

Cheers Mike.

Thanks Mike I understand. That will be another future upgrade to split the system like a normal system with the rears on one res and the fronts on the other. I would also like to put in a line-lock so I can turn the emergency brake system into turning brakes. This would be very easy to do since each rear wheel already has its own bake caliper.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Rocmoc, and BroStar

After a couple of years, I don't think either one of you will have a Trooper that even looks close to a Trooper. I'm waiting to see which one of you enter a race first.....LOL

Detbohica, I'll leave that to the roc, there is nothing to race against out here. At least you guys some competition with modified UTVs that a Trooper straight out of the box is the equal off.

Cheers Mike

• 3 months later...

Brostar said "The right reservoir controls left front brake and the right rear. The left reservoir controls the right front and the left rear."

flatbed said " Now that i have had time to re-think the way these guys plumbed the brakes, it might not be a bad idea, I am used to thinking flat track where you need more front brake that back. I think maybe on these troopers where you are hill climbing and going down hills backwards or on side hills it might not be a bad idea to have the brakes working so they are all the same. What are your thoughts?

I've been reviewing old post and came across these statements by Brostar and flatbed. What crosses my mind is the thought that if your in complicated steep terain, your probably in 4 wheel lockout. With the brakes set up this way, if one side of the brakes quits working, you still have 4 wheel braking. I'll bet it is a little shy on stopping power though.

Lenny