Quantcast

Sectot EV not engaging 4 wheel drive

Akovia

Is it a manual shift? Or electronic? If it's mechanical, then check the cable through to the front differential. See if you can manually operate the linkage going into the differential 

If it's electronic, then you're probably going to have to disconnect the shifter, and see if you can activate the lever going into the differential by hand. 

41 minutes ago, kenfain said:

Is it a manual shift? Or electronic? If it's mechanical, then check the cable through to the front differential. See if you can manually operate the linkage going into the differential 

If it's electronic, then you're probably going to have to disconnect the shifter, and see if you can activate the lever going into the differential by hand. 

This is an all electric SxS. There is voltage at the switch but I do not where it goes from there. Hisun will not let me see a schematic. Getting to and from my servicing dealer is a full day and $200 trailer rental. Hoping to get some guidance on where to look. I presume there is a solenoid and some kind of actuator. Anyone know what those look like? Pics? Thanks. 

Have you tested the switch itself for proper function?

I know that I said differential earlier. Don't really know what I was thinking. It probably handles 4wd at what would be the transfer case on a truck. Or it's possible that there's only the transmission. But if you can see where the hi/lo 4wd actuator goes. It'll probably be close by. If you follow the wire from the switch, you might have some luck. But it could easily be a grounded circuit, so you need to chase those wires if at all possible. 

Sometimes when I don't know what a part looks like. I'll Google for that part for sale. If it pops up, now you know what it looks like. And that makes it much easier to find. It's a long shot in this case. But sometimes it works. 

The switch is just an on off switch? If it's that simple, there should be a voltage difference between on, and off.

Being electrically activated, I'd expect there's a relay involved somewhere. Look in the fuse panel. Relays are notorious for being troublesome. The good news is they're cheap, and easy to diagnose, and replace. 

Sorry for all the guesswork, but I'm not familiar with your machine. Mine is much older, and a totally different brand altogether. I'm thinking that it sounds like it's electrical, based on the weird dash readout.

Hopefully this forum activity will alert someone more familiar with your unit?

You may also  check your 12 volt battery voltage. I have seen cases where the DC/DC converter (48Volt to 12Volt) stoped working and thus not charging the 12 volt battery anymore.  I think the  front differential electric shifter is powered by the 12 volt battery, that could explain the shifter not engaging if the battery is low. The 12volt battery is located under the driver seat. It powers the instrument panel + winch + main interlock relay on the 48V volt battery bank.  

• Thanks 1

TBH, I had no idea that anyone made a 4wd electric buggy. Very interesting stuff. I was hoping the thread exposure would bring along someone that understands a bit about how these work. What little expertise I have, is with mechanical stuff.

Please post details about any progress, so that others can benefit from what you find. Especially if you find a wiring diagram. Those things are scarce as hens teeth. There's so little information out there about these Hisun models. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, the solenoid connector from the instrument panel is vulnerable to moisture and dirt.  The four wheel “actuator” is enclosed and hard to test. Actuator is NOT covered by warranty! To get to the solenoid connector requires a lift to remove the front left wheel. I’ll need to get one and haul it up to the farm next week. Thanks for the comments!

• 1 month later...

That would be wonderful, Gorj! Voltage on all the batteries is 6.3 to 6.4 volts, so why the thing So frequently goes into low voltage mode is a mystery..

We also love the E1. It ain’t stinky! And serves well on our rolling 40 acres.

Another issue is that the four wheel drive quit engaging. Same “no help” from HiSun. We could trouble shoot if we had specs.  I do appreciate you trying to get your dealer to help out, but understand that it might put him in a bind. Cheers

20 minutes ago, kenfain said:

See if you can get a shop service manual for your machine. A complete manual will be valuable to your future service issues. 

That information, if available, would be invaluable here, for future service of members vehicles. Especially since the factory has shown little interest in this level of customer service. 

Unfortunately, my efforts to get a single specification page from HiSun has been refused. A service manual is totally out of reach at this point.

20 minutes ago, Gorj said:

OK, this all sounds like a battery issue.  The electricity that controls your 4WD comes from the 12 v. battery under the  driver's seat. The 12 v.  battery also controls every thing on the dash and lights. The 12 v. battery get its charge from the 48 v. system via an electronic device. If you have not done so already, try charging it over night.

I will do so on my next visit to the farm. Thank you for that information!