Quantcast

shak

Kawasaki Mystery Engine Model Number ...Can you solve it?

What is the Kawasaki engine model number for the side by sides listed below.  I had an older Ute with the 401cc Kawasaki FJ 400D, but it had a carburetor, and a flywheel magneto ignition system.
This new 401cc engine with EFI, and electronic ignition looks like a big improvement over the old.  But, I can’t find the Kawasaki engine model number?

Kawasaki 401 cc (24.47 cu. in.) single cylinder, 4-stroke, gas 
Bore x Stroke: 3.23x2.99 in
Compression Ratio: 8.6:1
Maximum Torque: 21.4 lb-ft @ 2400 rpm
Valve Train: Single-Cylinder OHV
Engine Vibration: Internal Counter Rotating Balance Shaft
Fuel System: Closed-loop electronic fuel injection
Horsepower (KW): 13.5 hp
Electrical System: Starter/Generator — Solid State Regulator
(Note: Some versions/listings state: "Alternator Output (max)22.9 amp")
Lubrication: Pressurized Oil System
Oil Filter: Spin-On (Item#: 49065-7010)
Cooling System:  Air Cooled
Ignition System: Electronic Inductive Spark
Air Cleaner: Replaceable Dry Cartridge (item #:  11013-7029)

Utility vehicles/side by sides that use this engine:

2021MULE SX™ 4x4 FI
https://www.kawasaki.com/products/2021-mule-sx-4x4-fi?cm_re=MPP-_-PRODUCTTRIMLIST-_-VEHICLEDETAILS#

2020 E-Z-GO Express™ S4 Elite Gas
https://ezgo.txtsv.com/personal/express-s4

Cushman Shuttle 4 EFI Gas
https://cushman.txtsv.com/vehicles/shuttle-4

Cushman Hauler 1200
https://cushman.txtsv.com/vehicles/hauler-1200

They're still using the FJ400 in the mule SX, though it may have a different spec number (FJ400-xxxxx) due to it being  EFI...

the first characters in Kawasaki model numbers gives the CC of the engine (FE290 = 290cc, FJ400= 400 or 401 cc) and then the second set are the spec numbers which describe the variation of that model..

I've got some friends over on a small engine forum that deal with Kawasaki engine's I'll ask them, they might know exactly.

Are you looking for parts or just curious about the Engine?

Thank you for your quick response...and the  coding info.   My son just bought a new Tracker OX400, and we  went looking for maintenance parts...oil/fuel/air filters, spark plugs etc.  The dealer prices on that stuff seemed  high, so we  searched for cross references.   Of course, one of the first things you usually need is the engine model  number.  We did find  the following:

FILTER-AIR (outer)
Kawasaki  item #'s 11013-7029, 11013-7048, 11013-1290, M113621, MIU10783, 820263.
https://www.amazon.com/Harbot-11013-7029-11013-7048-K1211-82320-K2581-82311/dp/B07D2XR9J2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Harbot+Air+Filter+for+Kohler+25+083+02-S+Kawasaki+11013-7029&qid=1595349429&sr=8-1

WIX Filters - 46449 Heavy Duty Radial Seal Outer Air
K&N REPLACEMENT INDUSTRIAL AIR FILTER-4552

FILTER-OIL
Item# 49065-7010
https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories/item/filter-oil/490657010

KAWASAKI 49065-7010 OIL FILTER CROSS REFERENCES AND REPLACEMENTS
https://oilfilterscross.com/49065-7010/c9873/

Is there anything  about the Kawasaki  two letter prefixes (FJ, in this case) that indicate whether the engine has a horizontal or vertical shaft?

Some of their commercial mower engines designate the shaft orientation at the end of the of the model series "FC400V" vertical 

And Kawasaki seems to use D to designate a Horizontal shaft engine.

Might try calling Kawasaki Cust. Service, 866-802-9381

tthey might can help you sort it out

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Brad Collins
      My side by side always " struggles " when reaching 40 kph. Almost like there's a govender. I cleaned the carb and removed the filter. Always there. The machine was lit up for a couple of months. I still operate it, just at lower speeds. Any help would be greatly appreciated on the issue. Thanks for your time.
    • By Kmrider
      Tried to buy a 2020 Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT and was told their was a stop sale on them, but the dealer had no info on what the problem was or how long until a solution is found to whatever the issue is.   Anyone know anything about this?
    • By Neil Wilson
      I bought a new electronic control unit (ECU) for my 2008 trooper t2 just to eliminate the unit as a factor in solving an electrical problem. Turns out the problem was not the ecu so my old one is still good. If anyone needs one let me know. I'll sell it for $50.
    • By CAPTAINSTARFLEET
      Greetings all
       I have a 99 kawasaki mule 550  kaf300c3 That I ordered new valve guides for. Problem is my valves don't fit in new valve guides. Part number is correct. 
       Is it possible that valve guides need to be installed and reamed before the valves will fit into the  guides?   Just seems like an awful lot of material to have to remove by reaming.
      Thanks for any help

• By Randy Stevens
      Hey all, I bought a Hisun 550 back in June of 2019. After 6 weeks of ownership, this machine took to sputtering when started and under power. I checked everything I could think of before I took it back to place of purchase....(rural king), since it had a one year warranty.   They kept it almost two months stating they were waiting to get info from Hisun to rectify the issue (supposedly faulty drivers seat belt). I was told by the tech that they replace seat belt harness and cured the problem. It did! Ran just fine again for almost a year and now the very same issue has returned. After doing a little investigating on my own, I noticed that rural king did not replace the seat belt harness at all.  The wires to seat belt connector was cut and spliced and taped back together. Now I’m not real sure what the real problem is as that tech is no longer with company and can’t seem to locate the past work order for my machine.  Hisun customer service is non existent . I’m on my own and begging for help. Im mechanically inclined but if this is an electricical issue, I’m screwed! No warranty left. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Shad
      Hey y'all, just finished replacing my rear right axle on my 99 mule 550. The old one teeth rounded out where the brake drum grabs it.  But now i can't get the drum to seat on the new axle far enough,  yes i put axles side by side,  identical,  i can reverse the drum and it slides right on the axle so i know it goes on fine.  It's a really bad design anyways with such a tiny line of teeth to rely on to drive the wheel.  Does anyone know if the new brake drums have deeper teeth to grab more of the axle?? Or any ideas why im having a hard time with this damn thing? 
    • By 4srmaintenance
      I have a pre-owned 2000 Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 Diesel that I believe is having a drive system problem. There are two symptoms occurring that are perhaps related or separate problems: one is that when turning the vehicle sharp to the right I hear and feel some rough abnormal vibration/shutter as though a front drive axle is worn and failing. The other symptom is an intermittent abnormal vibration and occasional subtle knocking sound/sensation that seems to be coming from the front drive system; it is rhythmic relative to vehicle speed and does not only occur when turning the vehicle but rather it seems to randomly occur more often when the vehicle is moving straight. It's also noticeable in reverse but the sound is more of a rhythmic squeal that seems to be coming from the front drive system. This symptom has not been constant but it has progressively become more common in the last two weeks since I first noticed it.
      Based on appearance of components at an easy glance, it looks like the left front drive axle assembly is old and perhaps worn to the point of needing replacement - it's possibly the original, the assembly on the right side is clearly newer and must have been replaced under previous ownership. I would guess this is likely the root problem of the first symptom I explained with respect to turning the vehicle and experiencing abnormalities but could it also be the cause for the other symptoms I'm experiencing or might there be something else wrong with the vehicle?
      Has anybody out there experienced something similar to what I'm describing? Can any body provide me with some confident possibilities of what the problem or problems might be? I would greatly appreciate some help, thank you!
    • By uflymifixm
      cant seem to find the fuel filter on my 2011 4010 mule 4x4 looked thru the parts manuals cant seem to locate a fuel filter anywhere !!!
      thanks bobby