Quantcast

Need some more room?

Travis

Hauling 9 5 gallon feed buckets is kind of tight for space in the dump bed, and if you need to carry a mineral block, extra feed and what not, that stuff won't fit in the glove the compartment!

So, here's what i devised.

i originally planned on having 2 simular pieces instead of 1, but i think this will do just fine.

the longest piece  is 40 7/8" and the 2 shorts are 13 1/2"

When not in use, either fold it straight up or it is easily removed in a few seconds by loosening the wing nuts, and then folding it up and tightening them by hand.

the bolts/wing nuts are through pre-drilled Factory  8mm (5/16") holes.

total cost is about $22 is flat stock 2 48" x1/8" x2" pieces, $2 for the wing nuts and bolts, and 1 welding rod and a half.

20210122_124737.jpg

20210122_124540.jpg

20210122_124910.jpg

20210122_124744.jpg

20210122_125009.jpg

And of course, a welding job is not complete until you finish welding and you pick up the material where it's hottest......and drop it REAAAALLLLYY quick.

it also nice because the nuts for the tailgate cables and the holes in the side of the bed from the factory line up perfect so they also help support it.

Nice work, but I probably would've made it a drop in. Using square tubing, and the bed corner posts as a pocket. That way it could be stored out of the way, in the front corner tubes of the bed. Upright against the back "window", up against the screen. But as long as it works, it's all good. 

7 minutes ago, kenfain said:

Nice work, but I probably would've made it a drop in. Using square tubing, and the bed corner posts as a pocket. That way it could be stored out of the way, in the front corner tubes of the bed. Upright against the back "window", up against the screen. But as long as it works, it's all good. 

Dang. You're too smart.

10 minutes ago, kenfain said:

Dunno about that. But I have outsmarted myself on occasion. Causing me to be amazed how stupid I can be sometimes. It's always fun when it costs money too lol.

Well, don't feel bad. I got through welding the last short piece on today and picked it up to so how it would fit. Well i picked it up on the corner i just finished welding.😐 didn't have my gloves on either.

17 hours ago, Travis said:

And of course, a welding job is not complete until you finish welding and you pick up the material where it's hottest......and drop it REAAAALLLLYY quick.

it also nice because the nuts for the tailgate cables and the holes in the side of the bed from the factory line up perfect so they also help support it.

When I was a welder,many many years ago,  we said  .. ITS NOT HOT....it just didnt take long to look at it ..  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Anthony Boswell said:

Interesting to see what is approved while we are mostly talking about UTVs. Nice mod I may use a form of. My wife collects bowling ball size rocks and you don’t want them moving around. 

I would suggest milk crates for holding a rock, or anything that might roll around. They're more  easily secured too.

• Like 1

Nice stone work.

Side note...If that's a typical flow there, then you've got enough to generate some free power. Even more so if there's a substantial drop from the source. 

But with just what you have there, you could easily power enough lighting to nightlight that beautiful stone work. With a ten foot or so drop from the source, you could power most of the house.

• Like 1