Quantcast

Hisun Fuel gauge and tank

oakhill

I purchased a 2015 Hisun HS500 UTV used, and the only thing wrong with it is the fuel gauge does not work.  When the fuel pump is in the tank, the gauge always reads empty.  When I remove the fuel pump from the tank and manually move the float, the gauge works as it should.  When the fuel pump is in the tank, it sounds like the float is hitting something in the tank.  I checked the tank and there seems to be no obstructions in the tank.  I figured the float arm was too long so I cut 1" off the length of the rod and reconfigured the float.  I put it back in and the same thing happens:  the gauge shows "empty".  I have made sure the fuel pump is in the proper direction with the inlets pointing toward the driver side and the electrical connection is pointing toward the front of the vehicle.   We don't have a Hisun dealer locally and all the dealers away from here, including the plant in Texas, have no suggestions other than what I've tried.  Please help.

• Like 1

I had the same problem with my 800 hisun - if the pump is not bolted exactly with the float at 90 degrees to the front face of the tank it will hit and block the float from rising - drove mine for 2 years watching the mileage and using a homemade dipstick till i figured it out one day when i was trying to remove and check the fuel pump - pump was fine, ground wire back to frame was bad - made a new ground jumper and pump worked - benefit was that suddenly the fuel gauge also worked  when i  followed the instructions for aligning the pump when installing - the pump ground was not the gauge problem because the gauge never worked for as long as i have owned it even though the pump was working fine)- i guess the last guy didnt read the chapter on pump alignment - manual was in english and they all speak spanish here - grin - if it is not an alignment issue, i would suggest seeing if the float has a leak and is sinking - it is nothing but a glorified toilet tank float in concept and that happens on occasion to toilets as well as lawnmower and old dirt bike carburetor bowl floats

My fuel gauge never worked.  I've taken great pains to make sure the gauge is lined up according to the manufacturer's advise, hose connections pointing toward the drivers seat and the electrical connector pointing toward the front of the UTV.  The pump is new, the float looks solid.  I can see the float raise when i put it in a full tank of gas.  the fuel gauge works when I take the pump out of the tank.  I was wondering if perhaps the brass contacts on the float are not touching the contact on the float arm because of a little bit of play in the float arm?  I'll also check my wiring for a broken wire or bad ground.  Would you happen to have a drawing of how the wires are made up in the plastic connector?  Thanks for all your help.   

4 hours ago, oakhill said:

which wire in the fuel pump connector is the ground wire?

Don't remember now - however, using a Volt Meter to ground on one side of the connector coming from the control block, showed 12 volts and the other side showed nothing (although I did see a miniscule voltage on what should have been the ground wire, this is a key indicator of a faulty ground and means your are getting a ground loop) -I switched the VOM to ohms and measured the other wire back to a ground on the engine used by other circuits and found an open - made a jumper wire and grounded the side I had just tested and fuel pump came on instantly when i turned on the ignition key (fuel injected model)