Quantcast

Blaze379

Second Battery

I am installing a second battery in my 07 Prowler. How do I wire it up so the stereo doesn't drain the main battery, but the second battery can still charge

If you run the batteries in series, it will drain from both. You need to split the connection from the alt/charge at the source and run seperate positive and negative wires.

Ok, it's awhile. New update, installed two large dry cell batteries under the seat. One for the stereo and the other is the engine battery. Installed a relay between then so when the engine is running both batteries charge. I also replaced the stock starter with one from the xtx 1000. Much better torque.

Yes, you must have a battery isolator so that one battery, if it develops an internal short or a bad cell, it won't draw down the only good battery you have left.  If I were to add a 2nd battery (which I am considering), it would be a deep cycle battery specifically for the winch.  Buy a commercial one rated for your expected load.  Easier to install.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By bmoody4550
      Hello,
      I have changed the battery , alternator and the regulator.
      I have the red battery light on indicating it is not charging.
      Is there something else that could be the problem to my battery not charging??
      Thanks
      Bill
    • By Mike McDonald
      The Intimidator is made in Arkansas and the company was affiliated with the Bad Boy products at one time. The engine is a Kohler 750. I replaced the flywheel and stator a year ago, so I feel like they are okay. The battery was replaced and all the cables are good, no corrosion. 

The wiring diagram shows a rectifier/regulator and an inline fuse that the manual said could be my charging problem.  My  questions are:
      1. Are these rectifier/regulators some generic or, are they specific to each machine?
      2. Are there UTV parts companies that handle parts for all brands of buggies?

3. If the answer to #2 is yes, could  someone recommend the names of parts companies I could contact?
    • By dalem
      Earlier this year my battery was weak and I had to boost my mule to start it then I decided to remove the battery to check the fluid level which was very low, I set the levels and recharged the battery a few months later it did the same thing, so I had to boost it again then checked the voltage running was getting around 16 vdc ( which is too high) and fluid level was very low again and wouldn't hold a charge. Note: The battery was maybe 1-1/2 years old. Then I replaced the battery and checked the voltage running nothing changed I was only reading battery voltage it wouldn't increase with increased engine speed. I changed the voltage regulator with an aftermarket  one, same thing not charging. I checked the alternator per the service manual which states .3 ohms or less it checks at .2 ohms and not shorted to ground. With the engine running I disconnected the alternator and it had around 22 vac idling and around 60 vac revving the engine, so I figured the regulator was bad so I replaced it with another new one (aftermarket) from a different company, again not charging only reading  battery voltage. I did put the original voltage regulator on nothing changed still not charging. Using the manual wiring diagram did continuity checks going to the voltage regulator everything checks out OK. Now what am I missing?
    • By Chris B
      Hi,
      Don't know much about anything utv but I figured out my fuel pump wiring harness needed to be replaced. Installation looks pretty straightforward, plug into fuel pump and plug in the two pigtails. Question is: one of the Pigtails on the old harness I am replacing had a splice in the black wire and attached to a bolt on the engine. Is this necessary?  Is the black wire, I'm assuming it's the ground, grounded at the other end of the pigtail?
    • By Joel Neubecker
      I just bought a 2008 Prowler 650 H1.  Rode it about 20 miles and the belt absolutely exploded!  Long story short, while replacing the belt, I spread the secondary with the cover bolt and didn't take it out before I put the secondary back on.  I tried to remove the bolt after I tightened the nut and it snapped off still stuck in the spreader hole.  I have no idea what to do.  Any help or suggestions would help greatly.  Thanks.