Quantcast

commando rear diff.

Welcome. We have a couple Joyner dealers on this site so I sure one of them will have some info for you.

The turning radius is not in most cases influenced by the diffs. It is controlled by the CV Joints, axles or clearances problems.

Since I don't have a Commando I will make some educated guesses. Sounds like you have limited slip diffs. Have you changed your diff oil? If not, do so and use royal purple adding a limit slip additive. This maybe the fix and a lot less work and money.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

If they are locked diffs, not much you can do about the digging in as one tire travels at a different speed from the other. Result is tire slipping and tearing up the surface or leaving tread mark.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I found that after looking at the parts book it looks the front is limlted-slip and the rear is locked. I was wondering that since the front and rear have the same housing and gears I could get the slip gears for the front and put them in the rear. It may sound crazy but i'd give up the traction for less turf damage.

I have not herd of someone doing this before but anything is possible. Looking in the manual it is not a simple case of bolting on a front diff onto the rear, the bolt patterns are in the wrong place and the spider gears will be facing the wrong way. You maybe able to replace all the moving parts in your exciting diff to go lsd. If you look on page 104 of you Commando manual you will find the front diff and 108 on is the rear ( on-line manual is http://joyner.com.au/docs/manuals/650commando2_manual_JNSZ650UV.pdf ) . You wont be able to use the same gears so you need to find out if your existing spider gears will fit in with the other parts front a front diff. The other problem is the propeller shafts on the front coming out of the diff are two different part numbers and the rear propeller shafts which have the same part number is different to the front ones(3 part# numbers). If you do manage to achieve this, without a lockable rear diff, basically you will still only have 2wd even when you are in 4wd when you get stuck.

Have you considered getting some lawn friendly tires like Titan Turf Trac Tires R/S. John Deere Gator tires have a good range of lawn tires. You would only need a minimum of two so will work out cheaper and is not experimental. Good luck with what ever you decide and welcome to UTV Boards.

Cheers Mike.

Thanks for everyones input. This is not a big deal to me just something i've been kicking around in my head. I run 27" bighorns so i'm not to aggressive for tread. The rearend just pushes pretty hard in a turn if you have a load on board. My thinking was to just replace the needed guts of the diff. to make it limited-slip or unlockable. thanks again i'll keep doing some reseach.

I just had a brain-wave. The UK Road Legal 650 Joyner Sand Spider which is not available in the US has a normally dif. Here is what I mean. 650cc Joyner Road Legal Buggy . It is just a matter of contacting them and while your there ask them if it is lockable. The Trooper and Renegade both have LSDs that can be locked so that is another option too.

Cheers Mike.