Quantcast

K & N for R-2?

Chalkstk

Not that I have come across. You could go with K&N Pod filter and set it up like a snorkel, like this Air Filter/Snorkle - UTV BOARD - Side X Side and UTV Forum post 10. The K&N part # is RC-4160 and pre-filter is #RC-4160-DK. You could mount it in the engine bay, but why would you.

Fram do make a Air Filter that is a cross brand for the Renegade stock air box. I can't find the part number but if you take it into your local parts store, they will find the match & you never know, they might find a K&N match too.

TJ USA did have a part conversion chart and they state in there that a CARQUEST Air Filter part # CA3718 . We don't have CARQUEST over here so don't know what they are like.

Cheers Mike.

Not that I have come across. You could go with K&N Pod filter and set it up like a snorkel, like this Air Filter/Snorkle - UTV BOARD - Side X Side and UTV Forum post 10. The K&N part # is RC-4160 and pre-filter is #RC-4160-DK. You could mount it in the engine bay, but why would you.

Fram do make a Air Filter that is a cross brand for the Renegade stock air box. I can't find the part number but if you take it into your local parts store, they will find the match & you never know, they might find a K&N match too.

TJ USA did have a part conversion chart and they state in there that a CARQUEST Air Filter part # CA3718 . We don't have CARQUEST over here so don't know what they are like.

Cheers Mike.

How do I get it out of the bay with my bed? The only exit would be somewhere above gas tank where fill snorkle is. Would I just need proper od flex hose?

Thx,

Chalkstk

Cut a hole through the vent mesh between the two seats. That is the best way. Kinarfi used a 7" vacuum cleaner hose and extension hose wand. Look in here Parts, Pieces, and Information for our Troopers - UTV BOARD - Side X Side and UTV Forum under My Snorkel.

Cheers Mike.

Thx, Mike.....................this board is a Godsend. Amazed at the ingenuity of those here. Men after my own heart...........improvise when engineers have brain F**ts B)

Frankie aka Chalkstk

On the R2 the flex hose that runs from intake to the air box is long enough to take off the air box and turn up and run between bed and cab, I mounted mine to the cross bar with a 2 hole strap, no drilling or cutting anything, used a short pice of pvc pipe to clamp between flex hose and filter. looks cool and sounds great when you dance on it. the oem air box leaks too much dirt past the filter and why have a filter intake right in front of the rear wheel? I havn't had to clean the new filter for a long time now.

On the R2 the flex hose that runs from intake to the air box is long enough to take off the air box and turn up and run between bed and cab, I mounted mine to the cross bar with a 2 hole strap, no drilling or cutting anything, used a short pice of pvc pipe to clamp between flex hose and filter. looks cool and sounds great when you dance on it. the oem air box leaks too much dirt past the filter and why have a filter intake right in front of the rear wheel? I havn't had to clean the new filter for a long time now.

Hi Renegade, Thx for the tip. I have a K & N number from another poster.............RC-4160 and pre-filter wrap.....RC-4160-DK. Is the dia. of the stock hose the same as this filter for tight clamping with hose clamp? I haven't had it apart yet to measure. K & N has a multiple of throat sizes and I want to be sure to order right filter size.

Thx again,

Frankie aka Chalkstk

PS have you ever encountered high rev problem like I have on the R-2? How about any differential problems like many seem to have with Troopers? That scares the u-no what out of me:)

I used a pvc reducer to change to the right size of the filter neck works great, I have 2 R2s and never had a problem with the idel, R2s didnt seem to have the same diff problems as the Troppers my 08 has over 6k miles and no problems.

Good to hear about the diff's. So do I have the right filter number? The reducer is a plumbing part I assume.............from what to what as to diameters?

I am famous for ordering wrong cat #, LOL!

Frankie

Frankie, the intake hose on a Renegade is the same on a Trooper so will fit. To double check when you order, your intake flexi hose is 70mm or 7cm. That is the same size as the K&N pod filter and stock pod filter.

There is more than one way to tackle the heat & dust problem you may have with your Renegade. This is what I did on a Commando 4 seater. The Commandos have a normal intake like the Renegade so we simply ran good quality hose & stainless steel pipe from the intake box up and out into the open and topped it off with a 90 degree bend. An enclosure was going over the top so we faced it forward to ram air into the intake. A small pre-filter is recommended to go over the hose.

post-85-126868483517_thumb.jpgpost-85-126868479803_thumb.jpgpost-85-126868484602_thumb.jpgpost-85-126868485287_thumb.jpg

Cheers Mike