Quantcast

Oil pressure sending unit

jamesrulz

Does anyone know an oil pressure sending unit that I can sub out instead of the factory one my second one is toast. I think an old style one off a 70's dodge would work but I can't compare resistance because mine is toast. Does anyone have any ideas or part numbers for something I can get at napa or a resistance spec?

I did think of that but I think it's just one more line that will get ripped off or leak.

check the ground wire on the back of your oil pressure gage, if it's like mine there is a small fiber washer and it shuld be removed, after I removed them from all my gages they all worked like new and have had no problems after that.

Also if you have removed the sending unit and reinstalled with Teflon tape, it most generally will not work. Remove the sending unit, remove the Teflon tape and reinstall with nothing on the treads.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

I think the heat shielding may be a very necessary thing also, I added some shielding around my headers because the plastic deck had warped from the heat and I was worried about my shocks getting hot from the exhaust and I also made sure the original heat shield stayed put on my oil pressure sender unit.

Kinarfi

No problem. My new cage configuration has no deck of which I have not had time to work on. Hoping this will get rid of the some of the heat in the engine compartment. BUT I have never heard ever that heat was an issue with a oil pressure sending unit in anything! Remember it is already exposed to the heat of the engine block & the oil in the vane to the sending unit. Maybe the wiring to the sending unit!

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

I grounded the sensing wire and the gauge went to zero from pinned so it's the sensor. I Dont think it enjoys being close to the exhaust.

So is your sender working now and it was just the ground wire or is it still dead? as I reread, you grounded the sensor wire, right? can you measure any resistance from sender out put to ground terminal or case? and ground terminal to case?

kinarfi

• 10 months later...

Just info for the next guy, but my oil pressure gauge also quick working out of the blue. After reading this post, I followed the advice given from Renegade and took off the red fibrous washers from the terminals on the back of the gauge (actually took off all 3) and it worked just fine again (until I ripped out out the wire from the connector due to a slip when plugging it back in :( ). Will get that connected back up and expect it will work just fine. Not really sure if it was just a bad connection or if those washers somehow cause problems, but it seems to be fixed now.

Just info for the next guy, but my oil pressure gauge also quick working out of the blue. After reading this post, I followed the advice given from Renegade and took off the red fibrous washers from the terminals on the back of the gauge (actually took off all 3) and it worked just fine again (until I ripped out out the wire from the connector due to a slip when plugging it back in :( ). Will get that connected back up and expect it will work just fine. Not really sure if it was just a bad connection or if those washers somehow cause problems, but it seems to be fixed now.

I over torqued mine and busted the terminal off, so I soldered a piece of wire to it and capped that end with silicone and use wire nuts, no problems since.

Kinarfi