Quantcast

computer concerns

Guest Lenny

I've had a cutout problem on my Trooper so have been checking the wires. I'll post that in another thread. In the mean time I found something that I didn't like with the computer. Since Farmington, my computer didn't heve ground unless I ran a seperate wire from the computer chassis to ground. Then everything worked ok. Yesterday I opened up the computer to see if I could find anything of a grounding problem. Didn't find anything except it had a bit of dust in it. The computer isn't sealed at all and water and dust can get to the inside. I sujest that everyone pull their computer and silicone all the way around the cover and plug receptical. Mine did show the signs of a bit of water too having got to the inside at some point from washing it.

Lenny

I've had a cutout problem on my Trooper so have been checking the wires. I'll post that in another thread. In the mean time I found something that I didn't like with the computer. Since Farmington, my computer didn't heve ground unless I ran a seperate wire from the computer chassis to ground. Then everything worked ok. Yesterday I opened up the computer to see if I could find anything of a grounding problem. Didn't find anything except it had a bit of dust in it. The computer isn't sealed at all and water and dust can get to the inside. I sujest that everyone pull their computer and silicone all the way around the cover and plug receptical. Mine did show the signs of a bit of water too having got to the inside at some point from washing it.

Lenny

I agree with Lenny, silicone your computer, if you have some desiccant, add it to the inside.

See post http://www.utvboard.com/topic/1158-trooper-cranks-but-wont-start/page__view__findpost__p__7356

Where is the computer located?

Behind the drivers seat, 4 bolts to get the cover off, 2 bolts to remove the holder, then to uunplug it you have to pull the square handled plastic piece out about a full inch which is a ramped closer and pulling it unseats the plug, pull the gasket and put some silicone spark plug boot release on it. When you open it, follow static electricity prevention, hope you know what I'm referring to. While you in there you may want to follow and pull the pin 70 blue wire out.

Kinarfi

Behind the drivers seat, 4 bolts to get the cover off, 2 bolts to remove the holder, then to uunplug it you have to pull the square handled plastic piece out about a full inch which is a ramped closer and pulling it unseats the plug, pull the gasket and put some silicone spark plug boot release on it. When you open it, follow static electricity prevention, hope you know what I'm referring to. While you in there you may want to follow and pull the pin 70 blue wire out.

Kinarfi

What does pulling the pin 70 do? Is it easy to see how I need to reseal this ECU with silicone-just go around the mounting area with silicone and same for the plug?

What does pulling the pin 70 do? Is it easy to see how I need to reseal this ECU with silicone-just go around the mounting area with silicone and same for the plug?

Pin 70 is the Mal-Function Indicating Lamp ground, if you have a lamp tied to it, it will light up when you have a malfunction, such as one of the sensors failing. Probably not really needed, but if you're having troubles, like me and my starting problem, it sort of tells you that the computer is OK and the sensors are OK, If it's on, you know you have some kind of a problem, it does come on when you turn the key to run with out starting and goes out after you start.

I picked up 12 volts off the winch relay, added a fuse, a 1K ohm resistor, and LED, and then hooked it to the blue wire.

Don't be afraid to go inside and clean any dirt, dust, moisture traces off the board before you silicone it, don't use compressed air on it, just blow on it gently.

Kinarfi