Quantcast

Detbohica

Lost 4 wheel drive

I was in San Felipe running the river bed with about 2 feet of water, had a great time mudding with the kids. Got back to the condo and did my best to clean the T4 up with just a regular garden hose. The next morning I figured I would get out on the beach with the water resided and run down to the dunes. As I was going donw to the beach I heard some electrical whining, didn't think much of it until I went to use 4 wheel drive, and it wasn't there. I started thinking I did here something like that when I was cleaning it also the night before, but it stopped. As I think about it more it sounds like a selector switch or something trying to go back and forth repeatedly. Not really sure what problem I have. Haven't taken it our for some time now, so battery is dead, but was still able to us it just in 2 wheel drive with no other problems.

Could it be easy as a loose connector?

Thanks

Casey

Detbohica A few of us have had that problem it's the 4 wheel drive actuator. I put a manual 4x4 lever in mine silver bullit sells them his name is Rick (928) 344-2117 Detbohica look in webshot in album trooperfloks I have some pics in there

Yeah, the Trooper really isn't too water resistant let alone waterproof. Go with a manual replacement. There is a post & pics on this site somewhere!

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

You can fix it yourself. Take off the 4wd locker and open up. There is a pin facing forward from the electric locker so pull towards the rear when disconnecting from the Diff. Clean and spray gears and electrics with lots of Lithium Grease. Also spray around the seal before closing and screwing tight. This will help to keep the water out next time. I did this two years ago and is still going strong after fixing. You might find the long gear has popped up, inspect and push down into place. It could be stripped if you have left it running for to long. If this is the case then a new unit or a manual replacement will be needed.

Cheers Mike.

I was in San Felipe running the river bed with about 2 feet of water, had a great time mudding with the kids. Got back to the condo and did my best to clean the T4 up with just a regular garden hose. The next morning I figured I would get out on the beach with the water resided and run down to the dunes. As I was going donw to the beach I heard some electrical whining, didn't think much of it until I went to use 4 wheel drive, and it wasn't there. I started thinking I did here something like that when I was cleaning it also the night before, but it stopped. As I think about it more it sounds like a selector switch or something trying to go back and forth repeatedly. Not really sure what problem I have. Haven't taken it our for some time now, so battery is dead, but was still able to us it just in 2 wheel drive with no other problems.

Could it be easy as a loose connector?

Thanks

Casey

You can fix it yourself. Take off the 4wd locker and open up. There is a pin facing forward from the electric locker so pull towards the rear when disconnecting from the Diff. Clean and spray gears and electrics with lots of Lithium Grease. Also spray around the seal before closing and screwing tight. This will help to keep the water out next time. I did this two years ago and is still going strong after fixing. You might find the long gear has popped up, inspect and push down into place. It could be stripped if you have left it running for to long. If this is the case then a new unit or a manual replacement will be needed.

Cheers Mike.

I agree with Brostar, when mine failed, I took it apart and cleaned the circuit board with a tooth brush and denatured alcohol, wire brushed the outside of the motor and painted it, inspected every thing, lubed it and put silicone on the mating surfaces to seal out the moisture, The thing is designed to fail in the 2 wheel drive mode and corrosion will cause it to fail that way and cleaning will fix that. Look for circuit board traces that have corroded excessively.

If you can't get it working, PM me.

Kinarfi

Another Idea - Smear a light coating of silicone on the circuit board to protect it from corrosion.

I agree with Brostar, when mine failed, I took it apart and cleaned the circuit board with a tooth brush and denatured alcohol, wire brushed the outside of the motor and painted it, inspected every thing, lubed it and put silicone on the mating surfaces to seal out the moisture, The thing is designed to fail in the 2 wheel drive mode and corrosion will cause it to fail that way and cleaning will fix that. Look for circuit board traces that have corroded excessively.

If you can't get it working, PM me.

Kinarfi

Another Idea - Smear a light coating of silicone on the circuit board to protect it from corrosion.

Correction, it is designed to default to the four wheel drive mode. This way you can always get back even if in a tight spot. The pin in the differential that engages or disengages the 4 wheel drive is spring loaded to the out (four wheel drive) position. However if your in two wheel drive, and the actuator quits working, it will be stuck there. Then to get it to go to the default four wheel drive, you have to remove the little mechanical drive to release the pin.

Lenny

EDIT - KINARFI -- Lenny is correct, If I remember correctly, it also faults electrically to 4 wheel drive,

Thank Lenny

Kinarfi