Quantcast

TROOPER ALIGNMENT / Gumball Crash

Gumball

After doing major damage to the right front of my T2 I found it necessary to realign the front end. The damage was severe enough that it was necessary to replace the control arm mounts top and bottom next to the fire wall. Needless to say it took some tweaking to get the car to track straight. I figured the local alignment shop wouldn't be interested in taking on the job.

Being a NASCAR fan I'd heard of stringing a car. The internet has a wealth of information on how to do it. Using this new found information I got out some string, a large square, a tape measure, and went to work. Several hours later and a few (expletives deleted) I completed the task.

The Trooper now seems easier to steer and tracks straight with hands off the wheel. I suspect that the alignment was off since I got the car. I highly recommend giving it a try. You too may find your Trooper is steering better.

Gumball

That is how I aligned my road race car. Have done it for many years. Really only go for toe-in. For Camber & Castor you need a level / tool made for the job. This is the one I have, http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecId=1206

rocmoc n AZ/Baja/TX

Rocmoc, you have the large tires like I have. What values are you setting your alignment to.

Lenny

My front is still untouched from the factory. Rear is in neg camber from the twisting of the trailing arms and will not be fixed until new shocks.

Future.

Tow-in: - 1/8 to - 1/4 in.

Camber: - 1 to 0 degree

Castor: + 1/2 to + 1 degree

dirt is very forgiving.

for comparison this is what I ran on my roadrace car,

Tow-in: 0 in

Camber: -5 to - 5 1/2 degrees

Castor: same

Just remember to watch the angles on the CV joints in ALL conditions, extended & compressed.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja/TX

Rocmoc,

Do you think your setup for the Spec Racer would be basicly the same for a Spec Rcaer Renault ??? If so, would you mind sending me the specs off line ??? A friend just picked a Renault version up for track days and didn't come with a book....

I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic... Sorry for the hi-jack...

(Oh, are you still racing the Dwarf ?)

Kurt

Apologies for not getting back to your questions sooner.

Seems like I had a bit of problem returning from a camping trip. On the way down from the mountains we got caught in a crosswind with our new toy hauler, with trooper inside. In a matter of seconds we found ourselves on our side in a destroyed Nissan Titan. My wife suffered a concussion, multiple contusions, and abrasions. I ended up wit a number of broken ribs and a punctured lung. The fire department used their jaws of life to cut me from the truck.

After 4 days in the hospital from hell in Springerville they released us. It took over 8 hours to collect what was left of all 3 vehicles. Of course the insurance company has already begun trying to screw us.

Naturally the Trooper was thrown through the top if the toy hauler. It is now missing the front end so I suspect it is a total loss.

We are thankful to still be alive but is doesn't help the pain of losing our toys.

Gumball

Seems like I had a bit of problem returning from a camping trip. On the way down from the mountains we got caught in a crosswind with our new toy hauler, with trooper inside. In a matter of seconds we found ourselves on our side in a destroyed Nissan Titan. My wife suffered a concussion, multiple contusions, and abrasions. I ended up wit a number of broken ribs and a punctured lung. The fire department used their jaws of life to cut me from the truck.

After 4 days in the hospital from hell in Springerville they released us. It took over 8 hours to collect what was left of all 3 vehicles. Of course the insurance company has already begun trying to screw us.

Naturally the Trooper was thrown through the top if the toy hauler. It is now missing the front end so I suspect it is a total loss.

We are thankful to still be alive but is doesn't help the pain of losing our toys.

Gumball

Really sorry to hear that.The toys can be replaced.Glad to hear thats all that was lost.Stick in there and hope things work out with the insurance.Hope your feeling better.

Gumball

That's a tough one. Glad to hear that your going to get through this ok. Broken ribs, I've never done that but have heard that it isn't the funnest thing to deal with. I broke my collar bone 4 times and know that anything around the upper chest is real painful. You can't turn, twist, move, stand up, sit down or hardly breath without it hurting like he**. Gosh, makes me hurt just thinking about you. The other stuff is replaceable. Take it easy and get feeling better real soon. Wow, new toy hauler too. With that much bad luck all at once you should be free of bad luck problems for years to come.

Lenny

Gumball, man I happy the two most important things survived the crash. You and your wife. Lets hope your insurance comes through. Not sure how it works over there, but if you do have to replace what was written off, I have it on very good authority that the new 2010/11 Trooper is bullet proof. Bold words indeed, but I don't doubt them, watch this space.

I know all about busted ribs from my Rugby playing days. Not nice, but in time, they will heal. First step is getting both of you back on track health wise and then when the insurance co. pays out think of the fun you will have buying new toys.

Take care, Mike.

Gumball, I've read about your crash several times, I'm so glad you're going to be alright and sorry for your injuries, I know about being hurt from my plane crash a little over 4 years ago, but you do get better and the pain subsides. Hope it happens quickly for you. Because I couldn't fly, I ended up with a Trooper for enjoyment, although I wish I could still fly, I sure do enjoy the Trooper and enjoy the people I've met.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, especially health wise and secondly, toy wise.

Kinarfi