Quantcast

Steering Upgrade!

rocmoc

Has anyone changed out the Joyner steering rack for a BETTER non-power steering rack & pinon? With only a few hundred pounds on the front, I can't imagine that a non-power unit of high quality won't work even with big tires. Exception would be possibly be when the locker engaged. Has anyone upgraded to a power steering unit with a different rack and tried to turn it with power turned off? Just wondering if anyone has tried. Thinking outside the box again! Some nice non-power rack and affordable, http://www.mooreparts.com/store/category/8/135/Rack-%26-Pinions/

rocmoc n AZ

Rocmoc, you know of my power steering unit, adapted to fit the stock setup. You also know of Lenny's change over to the steering unit out of a Smart Car. On an outing with Lenny, we swapped vehicles for a while and my comments about his steering are based on that relatively short time behind his wheel.

The force needed to steer his Trooper were much lighter than stock, but also it took more turns of the wheel to go from lock to lock. A simple gear ratio change. With out any power being added to the equation, the choice comes down to do how many turns of the steering wheel do you want for a lock to lock turn. My personal opinion is that Lenny's steering needed too turns of wheel for ripping around corners (under steered) but I was used to mine. Off road race trucks, according to my son, like to go from straight forward to full lock in either direction with a little over 90 degrees of input, but they use power steering also.

I NEED the power steering because of my shoulder injuries and damage and what I have seems to work pretty good for me most of the time.

It's when we get in 4X4 and lockers that Power is pretty much a must, I have a 20 amp circuit breaker on mine and it pops quite often, I'd change it, but I worry about the motor and my power FETs.

kinarffi

My steering ratio is about 3:1 where the stock is about 2:1, so yes it is easier but it still isn't enough. Having to turn the steering wheel more to make a turn has not been at all a concern. The only time I notice it and very little is when I'm on a trail near Coral Pink sandunes that goes thru mature Pinnion Pines and Junipers. The longest straight aways in some stretches might be only 25 yard and the turns are tight and 90 degrees or more and clearance is tight. When I drove Kinarfis, I found his to over steer considerably and was unconfortable with it. Felt it was twitchy. He likes his and is used to it and I also am used to mine. That said, The Smart car rack and pinion I'm using is a good built quality unit and it still doesn't provide enough steering advantage and in 4x4 lockout it is about as hard as before. Not that it is acutally as hard, but before, it was real hard and now it's less but still real hard. Power steering is the only way to go for me. Sit tight Rocmoc, I'll be working on my power steering soon, it's my next project. Figure I can do it for about $200 and it will be as good as you have on your car with all automotive industry engineered componets including the controller.

Lenny

Lenny, I am not in a hurry as you know about most things. Already have too many irons in the fire. I have spent a month repairing mobile stuff and NOW have to get back on the house mods. Besides, the rear bearings & diff kits are in line before the power steering.

rocmoc n AZ

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know which rack & pinion from Moore Parts would work on a 07 C2 and if it has more throw then stock ?

not certain what a C2 is, could be my brain froze up, but on the troopers, the limiting factor is the CVs. As you try to adjust for more travel in the rack by moving the stop nuts out, the CVs start to bind.

Kinarfi

not certain what a C2 is, could be my brain froze up, but on the troopers, the limiting factor is the CVs. As you try to adjust for more travel in the rack by moving the stop nuts out, the CVs start to bind.

Kinarfi

C2=Joyner Commando, two seater. EDIT by Kinarfi -- Yep, Brain freeze-

• 2 years later...

I know this topic is kinda old, but has anyone put a different rack on the Commando 650 (C2) 2006.

My is getting pretty sloppy and takes a 1/2 acre to do a full 360 anyway. Used mostly for hunting in the Mtns in Az and can be a pain turning around on top of a mtn trail with drop offs...