Quantcast

Rear diff oil

ricksrb

Change all the oil today,engine,diffs,and trans.When I pulled the drain plug in the rear diff I found some metal strands on the magnet.I have come across metal shavings in my time but never the strands.Almost like wire strands from a wire brush.I will post some photos later.

Have you done the lenny upgrade yet, are the strand round like a piece of wire that may have been the safety wire, except that would be stainless. Take a look at the internals of a diff at http://travel.webshots.com/album/572841867xLhWzo and http://news.webshots.com/album/573862217qXWwgb

could be a piece of the spider shims too

photos will be good

Kinarfi

Change all the oil today,engine,diffs,and trans.When I pulled the drain plug in the rear diff I found some metal strands on the magnet.I have come across metal shavings in my time but never the strands.Almost like wire strands from a wire brush.I will post some photos later.

heres a couple photos.Like i said thin wire.

http://www.utvboard.com/uploads/1293105125/med_gallery_475_29_245635.jpg

med_gallery_475_29_254139.jpg

You need to pull it apart before You damage it. Kinarfi was correct, looks like the safty wire that holds the ring gear bolts from coming loose. It doesn't work as you can see and almost for sure the bolts are loose. The next thing that will happen is for them to shear off. Don't run it that way. Is the one peice I see in the lower left side of the junk pile in the pic a chip. If it is, this is off one of your gears that can chip from improper alignment. Yep, you may need to put the upgrade kit in.

Lenny

You need to pull it apart before You damage it. Kinarfi was correct, looks like the safty wire that holds the ring gear bolts from coming loose. It doesn't work as you can see and almost for sure the bolts are loose. The next thing that will happen is for them to shear off. Don't run it that way. Is the one peice I see in the lower left side of the junk pile in the pic a chip. If it is, this is off one of your gears that can chip from improper alignment. Yep, you may need to put the upgrade kit in.

Lenny

the photo is a real close up shot.The wire is so thin i cant see it being the safety wire.Like kinarfi said wouldnt the safety wire be stainless? This is not.Its not much thicker then hair.The stuff in left corner is just a small clump of sludge for lack of a better term.

I agree with Lenny, if that machine ain't up on blocks getting the diff pulled, it's getting damaged. the first look at the way the photo came up looked like some down trees and fuzzy photo of some vehicle on a snow covered hill with snow blown away from the debris

Kinarfi

kinarfi,

According to Casey mine had the diff upgrade joyner did.I also have a spare diff purchased from him that he said up the upgrade.I,m sure Lennys would be better.

I see a dog sitting up in the center and a women with her hair pulled up smiling in the image on the right.I bet there is some men in white suits with a net that would love to get their hands on us(LOL)

kinarfi,

According to Casey mine had the diff upgrade joyner did.I also have a spare diff purchased from him that he said up the upgrade.I,m sure Lennys would be better.

I see a dog sitting up in the center and a women with her hair pulled up smiling in the image on the right.I bet there is some men in white suits with a net that would love to get their hands on us(LOL)

I see a horse in the center trying to come to a quick stop.

Lenny

And They're coming to take me away Ha Ha

They're coming to take me away ho ho he he ha ha

to the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time, and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats

and they're coming to take me away ha ha

:lol: :lol: :P :P :D :D

It'll be interesting to see what's going on inside your diff, my guess is there upgrades, then there's Lenny's upgrade, for one, the stock bolts were grade 8.8 and the ones we found for Lenny's upgrade were grade 12 with instructions to use loctite.

If you do, or should I say when you do take your diff apart, please photo it like I did.

Thanks

Kirnarfi

Hey im back, with my diff i found that the spring that moves the fork back when not in use dosent let the slide collar slide all the what or should i say the half way were needs to be when locker engaged, this causes the gear in the axle to grind about 1/8 of the gear till wont engage the locker, the axle gear can be put in any direction so u can flip it like i did mine and ull n

be fine, check for that and measure the travel of the fork so the slide will be half and half, i cutted that spring and works everytime, when the bloddy cable is not frozen or zeized!!!!!! need electric actuators, after i finish the major build up.

hope this helps

Hey im back, with my diff i found that the spring that moves the fork back when not in use dosent let the slide collar slide all the what or should i say the half way were needs to be when locker engaged, this causes the gear in the axle to grind about 1/8 of the gear till wont engage the locker, the axle gear can be put in any direction so u can flip it like i did mine and ull n

be fine, check for that and measure the travel of the fork so the slide will be half and half, i cutted that spring and works everytime, when the bloddy cable is not frozen or zeized!!!!!! need electric actuators, after i finish the major build up.

hope this helps

did you take any photos that you can post, specifically how it was upgraded, also, it would be well to proof read your post before submitting, or edit your post like I just did this one.

Kinarfi

hope this helps

Hi we are building a kit with solenoid for 4x4 control water proof and will not freeze.All models

Coming soon.

Silverbullet

hope this helps

mines doing the same thing how much did you cut off that spring