Welcome to UTV BOARD - UTV Forum, Side by Side Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Gumball

RADIATOR T BLOWOUT

6 posts in this topic

Hi all Trooper owners,

I had my machine out for a 5 day ride that turned into a near disaster. I was with one of my clubs and we were going up the back road (read rock crawling challenge) to Crown King a small town in the AZ mountains. About 18 miles into a 24 mile trip up the mountain a radiator fitting exploded into the back of the seats. We were lucky we weren't seriously burned.

What happened was about a 3/4 inch piece blew out of the radiator "T" coming out of the water pump ( part No, 02.S650.04.02.02 S650.04.02.02.00 Tee branch 1). T. It was nip and tuck to get up to Crown King where we were headed. We were able to find the piece that blew out and we taped the T back together Luckily there was a stream nearby. I would stop at the water crossings and fill up the radiator, run until the engine got hot and stop at the next stream crossing and repeat the process. One of the guys that was camping with us drove up from our campsite to haul me back to camp. For him it was about a 125 mile round trip.

The part is made of hard rubber and it would be good if you check yours for any signs of cracks. My wife was with me and unfortunately it may be the end of my Trooper days.

Gumball

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

Glad you are OK, Interesting, what year is your trooper, mine is an 08 and I have a metal tee, part # SV1100.04.02.00..01 I guess some "improvements" aren't really improvements.

Jeff

Will check my when I get a chance, mine is also an '08.

Mine is metal,,,, someone else had this prob, so I ckd earlier.

Hi all Trooper owners,

I had my machine out for a 5 day ride that turned into a near disaster. I was with one of my clubs and we were going up the back road (read rock crawling challenge) to Crown King a small town in the AZ mountains. About 18 miles into a 24 mile trip up the mountain a radiator fitting exploded into the back of the seats. We were lucky we weren't seriously burned.

What happened was about a 3/4 inch piece blew out of the radiator "T" coming out of the water pump ( part No, 02.S650.04.02.02 S650.04.02.02.00 Tee branch 1). T. It was nip and tuck to get up to Crown King where we were headed. We were able to find the piece that blew out and we taped the T back together Luckily there was a stream nearby. I would stop at the water crossings and fill up the radiator, run until the engine got hot and stop at the next stream crossing and repeat the process. One of the guys that was camping with us drove up from our campsite to haul me back to camp. For him it was about a 125 mile round trip.

The part is made of hard rubber and it would be good if you check yours for any signs of cracks. My wife was with me and unfortunately it may be the end of my Trooper days.

Gumball

There was an update on the T and is now made of steel

There was an update and now the T is made of steel. I went to Joyner when they were in Tempe and they gave them to us. There was many parts that should have been a recall ( the dealers had a web on parts that were changed) but most of the dealers never let us know. If you were lucky enough to find out, they would give them to you free. Here is a few of the parts I got. Clutch linage,larger rotors, bigger calipers,rubber boots for the steering,new rear fenders,brackets for rear end to be welded on, 2 different rear drive shafts, the last one being like a half shaft, new fuel sending unit, temp gauge, etc.