Quantcast

New Owner 09 Trooper

Well, I have went and done it! I bought a 2009 trooper T2 with only 320 miles and just got it last night! It looks totally new like it has never even seen a trail so am pretty excited. I am sure I will be on the board frequently with stupid questions so please bear with me. Unfortunately it will have to live it's first year outside (until I can save enough for an enclosed trailer) as we don't have enough room in my garage and the wife is not willing to let me use her spot ;) Is anyone aware of someone making covers for the trooper? I inquired about a custom cover for it at a local place, but looking at $300 for a non-waterproof and over $400 for a waterproof version which seems kind of steep. Also wondering if anyone has put a childs seat in the back (I have a 4 year old) and if so what seat did you use and how did you go about it (how did you mount it and where did you mount seatbelts).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeff

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have went and done it! I bought a 2009 trooper T2 with only 320 miles and just got it last night! It looks totally new like it has never even seen a trail so am pretty excited. I am sure I will be on the board frequently with stupid questions so please bear with me. Unfortunately it will have to live it's first year outside (until I can save enough for an enclosed trailer) as we don't have enough room in my garage and the wife is not willing to let me use her spot ;) Is anyone aware of someone making covers for the trooper? I inquired about a custom cover for it at a local place, but looking at $300 for a non-waterproof and over $400 for a waterproof version which seems kind of steep. Also wondering if anyone has put a childs seat in the back (I have a 4 year old) and if so what seat did you use and how did you go about it (how did you mount it and where did you mount seatbelts).

Jeff

Congratulations,wont take long for that new look to go away.Dont worry about stupid questions,you have a long way to go to top me.There were some covers out there for troopers but not sure if they were water proof,seems like they were light weight just to keep the dust off.You might try getting a small universal type car cover or boat cover.It wont be custom fit but would keep the weather out.As far as a childs seat in the back,I havnt heard of it but to me that would realy be risky.Thats why I opted for the T-4.

Thanks guys. The trooper is in the garage for now (while my wife lets me) until I can get a cover for it.

Had to laugh. The tach has already quit working. It has power, but no longer reads RPM (just sits at 0). I planned on having to do some things, but hope this is not how it is going to go. I imagine it is just a loose wire somewhere, but will have to follow the wires back and see.

Jeff

Thanks guys. The trooper is in the garage for now (while my wife lets me) until I can get a cover for it.

Had to laugh. The tach has already quit working. It has power, but no longer reads RPM (just sits at 0). I planned on having to do some things, but hope this is not how it is going to go. I imagine it is just a loose wire somewhere, but will have to follow the wires back and see.

Jeff

Look at the bright side.If there were no problems we would never be on this forum and get to know all these great people.

see,all you had to do is mention the problem and its fixed. ;)

I"ve mentioned that Rick is a problem, & he"s still here, can"t get rid of him? lmao

Can't and don't want to get rid of Rick but he maybe fixed. But then again so are my cats, LOL! You will have to ask him!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Jeff

I have added a rear seat. I had plans to do so long before I bought the Trooper. I figured if a RZR can do it, then a Trooper will have more than enough space--and I was right. I used a 42" twisted stitch 3 place seat, which fits perfectly, and I had a local company called Sandworks build me a cage on short notice for $1000. They do rear RZR cages and that is how I found them. I have added rear side nets to keep all arms & legs inside and to keep brush from hitting my little occupants. My 7 year old, who is about 49" tall has over a foot of head room.

The cage and seat ended up weighing almost exactly the same amount as the stock dump bed. I haul my 7, 4, and 2 year olds in the back which equates to about 110 lbs total. Have no fear, with the T2's wheelbase and wide stance it is totally stable. Its wheelbase is longer than most competition rock crawlers and it is way lower.

You can check my gallery: http://www.utvboard.com/gallery/album/47-my-t2/

I have added a rear seat. I had plans to do so long before I bought the Trooper. I figured if a RZR can do it, then a Trooper will have more than enough space--and I was right. I used a 42" twisted stitch 3 place seat, which fits perfectly, and I had a local company called Sandworks build me a cage on short notice for $1000. They do rear RZR cages and that is how I found them. I have added rear side nets to keep all arms & legs inside and to keep brush from hitting my little occupants. My 7 year old, who is about 49" tall has over a foot of head room.

The cage and seat ended up weighing almost exactly the same amount as the stock dump bed. I haul my 7, 4, and 2 year olds in the back which equates to about 110 lbs total. Have no fear, with the T2's wheelbase and wide stance it is totally stable. Its wheelbase is longer than most competition rock crawlers and it is way lower.

You can check my gallery: http://www.utvboard.com/gallery/album/47-my-t2/

Thanks 2 scoops. So about what did it cost you for the whole setup? Looks like you used the "rhino" seat? Do you carry a spare tire? and if so where? How about other gear (coolers, tools, etc)?

Jeff

Glad to hear about your purchase. I got a great water proof cover at Cabela's for 100. Look at the posts on here concerning past problems. I to have an 09 which I bought with 210 miles. I was told all of the upgrades had been completed on my T2. I have about 1700 miles when my rear diff went out, I also had problems with the steering box and a leak in the gas tank. Take a look at the past posts and have yours checked out, could prevent a lot of problems later. The guys on this forum have a tremendous amount of experience and smarts with the Troopers and have helped me a ton so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Glad to hear about your purchase. I got a great water proof cover at Cabela's for 100. Look at the posts on here concerning past problems. I to have an 09 which I bought with 210 miles. I was told all of the upgrades had been completed on my T2. I have about 1700 miles when my rear diff went out, I also had problems with the steering box and a leak in the gas tank. Take a look at the past posts and have yours checked out, could prevent a lot of problems later. The guys on this forum have a tremendous amount of experience and smarts with the Troopers and have helped me a ton so don't be afraid to ask questions.

How does your cover fit. Looks like it is smaller than the trooper dimensions so wondering if it covers/protects everything on your trooper.

I will definately be asking some questions on here. Sounds like Kinarfi is very close to me as well so may have some good riding and wrenching help close by. Am excited to get out on it, just busy with work now. So will try to get around to all the little fixes (like the diffs) soon so I can have a dependable and fun ride. So far have only been able to run around our lane with the neighborhood kids and my daughter...still pretty fun though!

Jeff

How does your cover fit. Looks like it is smaller than the trooper dimensions so wondering if it covers/protects everything on your trooper.

I will definately be asking some questions on here. Sounds like Kinarfi is very close to me as well so may have some good riding and wrenching help close by. Am excited to get out on it, just busy with work now. So will try to get around to all the little fixes (like the diffs) soon so I can have a dependable and fun ride. So far have only been able to run around our lane with the neighborhood kids and my daughter...still pretty fun though!

Jeff

Hope you can make it to Hanksville for our jamboree the end of June.

Jeff

I saw two different covers when I bought mine. The one I got is very durable with straps on alll sides to help tie it down if you need. The elastic strap at the bottom secures it around the Trooper very well with out the other straps. The one I got is a bit bigger then the machine so it is easy to take on and off. I have an intake snorkel which is above the top of my machine by about eight inches as well as having gear stored on top and Im still able to get the cover over everything no problem.

Take the time and check your rear diff bolts, it just takes a second and will be worth it if you need to replace them before you break down. Good Luck.

Thanks 2 scoops. So about what did it cost you for the whole setup? Looks like you used the "rhino" seat? Do you carry a spare tire? and if so where? How about other gear (coolers, tools, etc)?

I am into the whole thing undert $1500 (cage, seats, & belts). The seat? I just know about the Rhino seat, but I do know it is 42 wide, but if you are only hauling 1 then you can much smaller as save some more money. Twisted Stitch is what Sandworks sells. They are great seats for the money. You can see I have hinges in the rear so I can tilt the whole thing back to get at the motor. When I go out with my buddys I remove it--takes about 10 min.

Post some pics of you ride? Did you buy it local? How much?

I am into the whole thing undert $1500 (cage, seats, & belts). The seat? I just know about the Rhino seat, but I do know it is 42 wide, but if you are only hauling 1 then you can much smaller as save some more money. Twisted Stitch is what Sandworks sells. They are great seats for the money. You can see I have hinges in the rear so I can tilt the whole thing back to get at the motor. When I go out with my buddys I remove it--takes about 10 min.

Post some pics of you ride? Did you buy it local? How much?

I think I will look into something very similar to your setup. This would make it perfect for the family. Just need to find folks who can do the fabrication as I am not a welder.

I bought my trooper off of ebay from illinois. Got it for $7k. Seemed like a pretty good deal for the shape it was in compared with the others I was looking at.

I saw two different covers when I bought mine. The one I got is very durable with straps on alll sides to help tie it down if you need. The elastic strap at the bottom secures it around the Trooper very well with out the other straps. The one I got is a bit bigger then the machine so it is easy to take on and off. I have an intake snorkel which is above the top of my machine by about eight inches as well as having gear stored on top and Im still able to get the cover over everything no problem.

Take the time and check your rear diff bolts, it just takes a second and will be worth it if you need to replace them before you break down. Good Luck.

Got the cabellas cover last night. Not quite like a glove, but with a $100 gift certificate I had ended up costing me $10. Works well enough and looks very durable so think it should be just fine until I can afford an enclosed trailer for it. Thanks for the idea!

Jeff

Got the cabellas cover last night. Not quite like a glove, but with a $100 gift certificate I had ended up costing me $10. Works well enough and looks very durable so think it should be just fine until I can afford an enclosed trailer for it. Thanks for the idea!

Jeff

Can you tell me which 1 you got? Might order 1 for camping with trooper"?

Can you tell me which 1 you got? Might order 1 for camping with trooper"?

It is the deluxe UTV cover. I got the grey as the cammo version was $40 more and i don't need to be that sneaky :) It was $109. They have a regular UTV cover for around $50 also but since mine is outside wanted the best I could get for the money. If you look on their website and go to ATV covers you will see it there with the rest. Despite the dimensions listed, it covers everything but the wheels very well. Still have to do some tweaking on how it fits (want to try puttting the front in the back as I think it might fit easier that way) but it is so heavy it takes a bit of struggling to get it on. I just wanted to make sure it was going to fit. Trooper is still in the garage for now, but probably have to go outside this weekend :(

Jeff

It is the deluxe UTV cover. I got the grey as the cammo version was $40 more and i don't need to be that sneaky :) It was $109. They have a regular UTV cover for around $50 also but since mine is outside wanted the best I could get for the money. If you look on their website and go to ATV covers you will see it there with the rest. Despite the dimensions listed, it covers everything but the wheels very well. Still have to do some tweaking on how it fits (want to try puttting the front in the back as I think it might fit easier that way) but it is so heavy it takes a bit of struggling to get it on. I just wanted to make sure it was going to fit. Trooper is still in the garage for now, but probably have to go outside this weekend :(

Jeff

Tough decision,keep the trooper in the garage out of the weather or keeping the wife happy..HHMMMM. ;)

So am planning on going over my trooper before I take it out and beat it up. I have seen the things to fix page and will check/replace the things like the ball joints and steering coupler bolts. Will get to the diff upgrades as soon as I can. I have changed the oil (good thing as there was a lot of condensation in there so it looked like coffe with creamer). Was also thinking I should lube all the pivot points for the suspension. Anything else you guys would recommend right off the bat? Also wondering what you all are using for lubes for the suspension and gear oils, motor oils, etc that have worked well.

Also, how in the heck did you all see the numbers on the bolts of the diffs? I can just barely see the edge of the bolts (not even the flat top of the heads! Any suggestions on how to see if the upgrade has already been done short of taking it out (though doubt it has been done).

Thanks for any advice!

Jeff

So am planning on going over my trooper before I take it out and beat it up. I have seen the things to fix page and will check/replace the things like the ball joints and steering coupler bolts. Will get to the diff upgrades as soon as I can. I have changed the oil (good thing as there was a lot of condensation in there so it looked like coffe with creamer). Was also thinking I should lube all the pivot points for the suspension. Anything else you guys would recommend right off the bat? Also wondering what you all are using for lubes for the suspension and gear oils, motor oils, etc that have worked well.

Also, how in the heck did you all see the numbers on the bolts of the diffs? I can just barely see the edge of the bolts (not even the flat top of the heads! Any suggestions on how to see if the upgrade has already been done short of taking it out (though doubt it has been done).

Thanks for any advice!

Jeff

I was leery the first time I took mine out too, but mine had 4x's the number of miles yours does and they were all HARD miles--condition of the underneath of your trooper can tell you how hard they may have been. I would just say good air filter (I think you said you had one), chaffing wires, verify you have the rear CV driveline, then go beat it up! Mine has never left me stranded. My confidence has only increased since I purchased it. The last time I got stranded it was on my Honda Foreman.

Right now I carry two extra parts (not including consumables):

Coolant T-line (Gumball had his crack & explode). Mine is plastic, but if you have the upgraded metal one you should be good.

Tierod joint