Quantcast

Front wheel bearings

Drgnrdr

Hi guys, have any of you had a issue with the front wheel bearings? It sounds like my passenger front one is bad. It pops and creaks when driving. When I have it up on jacks it creaks about twice per revolution of the wheel when I spin It by hand. It only has about 310 miles on it.

Hi guys, have any of you had a issue with the front wheel bearings? It sounds like my passenger front one is bad. It pops and creaks when driving. When I have it up on jacks it creaks about twice per revolution of the wheel when I spin It by hand. It only has about 310 miles on it.

While you have it up on jacks, try wiggling it side to side, if more than just a little, 1/16", get it replaced, it seems they always pop and creak when they're going bad. I've replaced the rear bearings twice, the first ones looked like they had been hot on under water, ugly, and the second set failed in under 200 miles, I had ordered the roller bearings, but they were slow getting to Silverbullet, so I had to use ball bearings while waiting for the roller bearings.

read this post, http://www.utvboard.com/topic/2304-rear-wheel-bearing-gone-bad/page__view__findpost__p__11258

Kinarfi

Thanks, I do have a bit of movement so I'll go ahead and replace. I was just surprised they failed so quickly (probably shouldn't be surprised). With all the popping it was making on the trail I was worried it was a cv joint.

call silverbullet for your bearing, they're an odd ball bearing and he's the only source for the roller bearing that I know of.

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv160/turbo800/silverbulletbanner.jpg

Thanks for the info, I'll give him a call.

Another source at least for the rear bearing, not sure about the front, is Casey at JMC Motors 480-545-1693. I know they have the rear bearings at $50 or so. They are the tapered roller bearings which don't need the grease seal. If Silver Bullet doesn't have them this would be a good second source if you need to get it quickly.

I just checked the manual and it calls for the same bearing on all 4 corners, I thought so but I did check,but beware, the seals are not the same on both sides of the bearing, the manual says it has an outer diameter of 65 mm on both seals, but that is wrong, it shows different values, 48 & 45mm, for the inner diameters and all are 8mm thick, I think I stated the correct sizes in my bad rear wheel bearing post.

Kinarfi

Thanks guys, I'll be careful when I pull the seals just in case I can't find another set. I'm glad to know that all bearings are same size, sounds like I'll probably be replacing the rest shortly.

I know the bearing is a odd size but I'll bet that the seals are a standard size that can be gotten at your local power transmission supplier.

Lenny

I know the bearing is a odd size but I'll bet that the seals are a standard size that can be gotten at your local power transmission supplier.

Lenny

Yes you can get them but I had to wait almost a week for them to be shipped to the local seal supplier and the shipping cost me more than the seals did. Here is a link that will help with getting the seals and the install, http://www.utvboard.com/topic/2258-technical-articles-in-this-forum/

rocmoc n AZ

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.