Quantcast

Hello,new here & Im doing a 650cc eng build...

Team Farm

Hi guys glad I could finally join here. Great site, looked thru lots of topics--lot of good info !!

Im from eastern Wa. (state) run my own farm, got five sons & we love getting dirty (playing in the dirt).

Got us off of the dirt bikes and 4 wheelers & into the smaller dune buggys, my kids are safer strapped in and roll bar protected.

Kids & the wife love these toys (dad too), anybody who cant hav fun in these--simply must have no heart beat :D

Weve got my sons Viper650 (i bought off Devil Dog earlier this summer, thanks DD love this thing!!) torn down to the block in the shop.

post-1135-0-68248000-1320619894_thumb.jpg

post-1135-0-15687800-1320619979_thumb.jpg

Been working with Jose at Silver Bullet and have ordered "the 650 upgrade kit" friday

post-1135-0-69589100-1320620122_thumb.jpg

(10.75:1 Ross pistons/rings/rod bearings etc, with the 'torque specific' cam)

Also ordered new con rods, & crank. :) much yet to get ordered valves/seals/springs and retainers, & gaskets etc.

At least now I can soon get the machine shop started...

Planning a line bore, ring end gapping & probably have him shot peen & beam polish the new rods (for a potential; future, small eng nitrous settup). Im gonna port & polish the cylinder intake & exhaust, got a new better flow intake for the older mdl FF Webber 40DCOE carb. The crank will remain stock but, I am thinking of shaving the flywheel down just a lit'l (5-8% of total wt).

Im a decent farm mech & jack of many trades (expert at none), done a bit of V8 internal work (bac in the day) but most of my eng work experience is in JD tractors--so i may need sum help incouragement & 'correcting' along the way

Tj (my youngest) & I are Really Pumped about this build project :) and its possibilitys !!

Anyways, to the point...

Jose said he wasnt aware of any dyno test on this mod, & didnt want to speculate as to the Hp gains, But...

told me some one on the UTV forum had done Silver Bullets piston & cam kit on a Sand Spider 650 already & posted of his build, and outcome. Havent been here long and even came close to reading all (lots of great stuff here), but havent found info on this build yet. Seems I keep getting side tracked on threads like the supercharger topic & such B) Any help finding this thread would be awesome & any advice suggestions and input you guys may have for me would be greatly appreciated.

Ive been told this kit alone, could potentially add 20 extra Hp off the flywheel ?

Thankx in advance for any help & input

Jeff

TF - What happend to the engine? Sounds like it will be a screaming machine when you get done - This is the best site for T2 info, don't know about 650's

DD.

Engine was very tired, smoked when I bought it!!

Huh

Jose (from Silver Bullet)

told me some one on the UTV forum had done Silver Bullets piston & cam kit on a Sand Spider 650 already & posted of his build, and outcome.

?????????????????

Wow quess Im not welcome here ?

Huh !!

Engine was very tired, smoked when I bought it!!

Huh

Jose (from Silver Bullet)

told me some one on the UTV forum had done Silver Bullets piston & cam kit on a Sand Spider 650 already & posted of his build, and outcome.

?????????????????

Wow quess Im not welcome here ?

Huh !!

yes you are welcome.Not many here with that buggy but will see what we can do to help.We need to move your topic down under the joyner portion of the forum.

yes you are welcome.Not many here with that buggy but will see what we can do to help.We need to move your topic down under the joyner portion of the forum.

Thank you Rick, I apoligize if I sounded abrassive & I understand this more of a UTV specific forum, but the Commander does share this same eng. Im also sorry for my post location (but as this was my 1st post here, I entered this in the New Members section-move this thread accordingly)

and again thank you.

Again -- I was told

Jose (from Silver Bullet) said;

some one on the UTV forum had done Silver Bullets piston & cam kit on a Sand Spider 650 already & posted of his build, and outcome.

Im thinking this kit was most likely done on a Commander 650, rather than the SS, Ive sent Jose 2 emails asking for more about this build/outcome & reveiw, but with no answer (my Piston kit order was made Fri afternoon, & an email to Jose fri & again Sun)

I also have not heard back from him on a pricing quote on an extensive list of other parts I needed, list emailed Mon AM & I verified that this had been received when I talked with Johny that same morning

I was hopefull Silver Bullet-Rick would respond back to me... :)

(i have 3 of these 650 engines iin our buggy fleet, & will most likely be doing another rebuild in the near future)

Thankx & best regards

Jeff

Hi Team Farm, welcome to the forum. We just love to have people here that are moving into new areas with their machines. Next step will be to supercharge it. Look to cutting weight where you can. I've replaced a number of parts with aluminum where i could. Pick up my aluminum at a local recycle center for a $1 a pound. I just stop in once in a while so I'm gradually building an inventory to work from. Sounds like your into a fun project. Sounds like you enjoy working on it, I know I sure do on my Trooper.

Lenny

Thank you guys, appreciate the welcome.

Lenny I was reading on your supercharger topic, way cool & I'll certainly be watching & hanging out here as it appears this site has a collection of sum very progressive & knowledgable folks. And I certainly agree with this...

we ALL just want to get off-road.

Im detailing me 650 engine build on Buggy News My link as many of us there are running this eng

Thankx again

Jeff

PS ricksrb; please move this thread to the Joyner portion of your site & I will try to do an update now & again in case this helps any of your members now or in the future.

Welcome Jeff....

My Brother-in-law had a 650SS and it is the reason I wound up with the T2 I have now... He had done the Weber conversion and it ran good....

Have you done the snowmobile shock swap for the SS yet ???

Hi Showa; I did get some Fox Zero pros (from an Artic Cat M7) for the SS but have not had time to weld new tabs & get these mounted yet, all my time been going into my sons Viper (the 650 we,re building).

Still waiting on my SB Kit to arrive (cant even get the machine shop boring the block till I get those pistons) :( but in the meanwhile we're puttting a diff 680cc build in his Viper, that I recently found for sale (Venolia 9.5:1 pistons & some goodys) :)