Quantcast

how do you guys do it ?

ERV JR

I normally ride in Ocotillo Wells , or on the Colorado river. Ocotillo is normally hard pack trails,hills and rocks andthe river is about the same unless on the water. There is one big sand hill in Ocotillo called blow sand hill. I hear all bout you guys going to glamis but I dont see that being any fun since the one big/soft sand hill I watch all the other rigs with the cvt's walk right up. I can out power them all day on trails and hill climbs and crawling but in sand I hate it. I have to bounce off the limiter in 2nd but cant pull 3rd or it bogs down. How the heck do you guys go to a place that is all sand , are there any tips to make the trooper do better in sand without paddles ? Do the fuel controlers help much ?

I have never play much in the sand for the reasons you mention. Just not enough power without turbo or supercharger. Lenny is the only one that I know of that has used paddle wheels with a stock engine (without his supercharger) so his post will be interesting. Not many play much in the dunes with a Trooper.

Ah Blow Sand, have climbed it many times with other machines YEARS ago. There use to be another hill to the West about 5 miles. It was even tougher and if you went down the wrong sand slide you were in big trouble. Dumped off a 10+ foot cliff on to the wash. Rolled my Jeep on this one. We turned it upright, bent the roll bar back and finished the weekend. Had a great time! I don't even know if this area is still open to off-roading. I was out there when the CHP enforced for the first time that we could not drive on the highway with the buggies.

rocmoc n AZ

The sand is tough but doable to an extent with bigger tires. I Run 31x10.5-15 tires and I beleive Rocmoc runs the same. Kinarfi runs I beleive a 30" tire and we all do OK in the sand but are limited. I also have a set of Paddle tires, 33x16-15 on the rear and 33x13-15 on the front. These are big tires for this thing. Stock engine didn't want to pull them too good if the slope got more then gentle to medium but you could probably do fine with 30" tall paddles. Like a 30x12 maybe and keep them soft, 4-6 pounds is all you need. I figured not having the power to smoke the tires like a sandrail, the only other option was to try to sit up on top of the sand as much as possible while hooking in. Rather then spinning the tires hard to go, use the bull dozer track concept and just try get a hold of the ground with lots of surface area. When I added the supercharger, it did much better but I haven't tryed it with it tuned at max power. I think I will be able to go up pretty much what I want except for the really big stuff. One thing I dought I will ever be able to go up is that portion of a large hill where the normal slope changes to a steeper slope two thirds of the way up from the fresh sand that has accumulated from the sand curling over the top. I beleive this is what you are referring to as blow sand. It's soft, deep and loose. There is one hill at Coral Pink sand dunes that the typical UTVs struggle to get up. They need to get a huge run at it and then maybe. Not talking about the newer high powered ones comming out now which would probably do better. I can come half way down the hill and do a 180 degree turn in the middle and go back up it. The huge tire concept does work, it's just not as fast. Don't do sand dunes much but they are fun once ina while.

Lenny

I have owned sandrails and the Trooper will never be able to preform as well without a ton of dollars invested. I have thought about this before and decided it would be cheaper to buy a sandrail for the dunes rather than try to make the Trooper do something it was not designed for.

I have owned sandrails and the Trooper will never be able to preform as well without a ton of dollars invested. I have thought about this before and decided it would be cheaper to buy a sandrail for the dunes rather than try to make the Trooper do something it was not designed for.

I know it wont be a sand rail, but wish a didnt look like a dumbass when all the rhino's rzr'z and other stuff fly by. It seems like the split between 2nd & 3rd it too much for the sand . I would love to do the turbo but the cost is insane ,I would want a pump gas tune. I know I could build the kit myself and could source a turbo thru my shop but then the next problem is my suspension is stock so I cant go balls out. I have turned down trips to glamis cause I know I wont enjoy it

I run the General Grabber AT2 27x8.50 R14 95Q 6PR OWL $90.10 http://www.generaltire.com/tires/Grabber-ATsup2-sup with 8 -10 lb up front and 12 - 15 lb in the back and I just ignore the long tall hills, I have to gas it on a lot of the up hills, but I do have fun in the dunes. My son just got a new RANGER RZR® 4 800 ROBBY GORDON EDITION and it only out does me by a little, I've been to the Little Sahara Dunes a couple of time and it does better with the General Grabbers and the stock mud tires. I love the General Grabber for all around playing and highly recommend them. you just have to use the 6" front rims, I don't know how they would mount up on the 8" rear wheels, might do fine. The Grabber are said to be as close as you can get to BFG Tires without patent violations, but BFG doesn't make a 14", so Grabbers it is. I didn't air the down last time out, but I'll try to remember to on my next outing.

My advice, go any way, let some air out of the tires and learn what you can't do, then don't do that, but for ridge running and such, you'll be fine. I did get stuck a few times as I topped the ridge at an angle and the rear went side ways, but if you don't dig yourself a hole, just back out and get a better run at it or find another spot.

It's all fun!

My engine is stock.

Kinarfi

27X8.50R14LT 95Q C OWL 5684400000 26.5 13 28.6 50 8.6 (7.0) 6.0 - 7.5 16/32 784 1520 This is the only 14" they have

I run the General Grabber AT2 27x8.50 R14 95Q 6PR OWL $90.10 http://www.generaltire.com/tires/Grabber-ATsup2-sup with 8 -10 lb up front and 12 - 15 lb in the back and I just ignore the long tall hills, I have to gas it on a lot of the up hills, but I do have fun in the dunes. My son just got a new RANGER RZR® 4 800 ROBBY GORDON EDITION and it only out does me by a little, I've been to the Little Sahara Dunes a couple of time and it does better with the General Grabbers and the stock mud tires. I love the General Grabber for all around playing and highly recommend them. you just have to use the 6" front rims, I don't know how they would mount up on the 8" rear wheels, might do fine. The Grabber are said to be as close as you can get to BFG Tires without patent violations, but BFG doesn't make a 14", so Grabbers it is. I didn't air the down last time out, but I'll try to remember to on my next outing.

My advice, go any way, let some air out of the tires and learn what you can't do, then don't do that, but for ridge running and such, you'll be fine. I did get stuck a few times as I topped the ridge at an angle and the rear went side ways, but if you don't dig yourself a hole, just back out and get a better run at it or find another spot.

It's all fun!

My engine is stock.

Kinarfi

27X8.50R14LT 95Q C OWL 5684400000 26.5 13 28.6 50 8.6 (7.0) 6.0 - 7.5 16/32 784 1520 This is the only 14" they have

I have ITP Terra cross tires, I have been told that the stock tires are very poor and ride bad so I got itp wheels and tire package when I bought it

I know it wont be a sand rail, but wish a didnt look like a dumbass when all the rhino's rzr'z and other stuff fly by. It seems like the split between 2nd & 3rd it too much for the sand . I would love to do the turbo but the cost is insane ,I would want a pump gas tune. I know I could build the kit myself and could source a turbo thru my shop but then the next problem is my suspension is stock so I cant go balls out. I have turned down trips to glamis cause I know I wont enjoy it

I'd be embarrassed if a Rhino passed me as well :o . So, I don't blame you. Have you seen the turbo systems on Ebay for $2k? I am pretty sure they are being sold by Unleashed Motorsports which have been building them for years. $2k is cheap when you consider a RZR turbo starts at $4k. If you want max power you will need to run race gas though. I am sure a propertly tuned turbo would let you climb almost whatever you point your Trooper at.

I'd be embarrassed if a Rhino passed me as well :o . So, I don't blame you. Have you seen the turbo systems on Ebay for $2k? I am pretty sure they are being sold by Unleashed Motorsports which have been building them for years. $2k is cheap when you consider a RZR turbo starts at $4k. If you want max power you will need to run race gas though. I am sure a propertly tuned turbo would let you climb almost whatever you point your Trooper at.

I have looked into them but cant swing the cost. I am doing everything I can working a normal job and then working at my shop. I lost a good city job and left a good flat-rate job for the city job. So I am making less than I did before so I am busting my but at both shops to pay bills. lol

I have a turbo and have probably logged as much time at Glamis in the last 3 years with my Trooper as anybody. I can say life is grand in the dunes with a turbo. I run with everyone and go everywhere.

In the time before I put the turbo on, the biggest improvement came from lighter tires/wheels. The stock wheels/tires are just way too heavy. Unsprung weight is a killer in the sand. At the same time, I used to unload everything I could to run as light as possible - remove jacks, spare wheel/tire, tools, survival stuff, winch, etc. Always made sure I was with someone in case of trouble.

I used 12" ITP lightweight rims with 2" reverse offsets on all 4 wheels together with Dunestar paddles rear and steering tires front. Always in 4 wheel drive, locked rear - open front. Worked quite well. Could not climb the steepest hills, but was able to keep up. Momentum is your friend.

Now with the turbo I dont unload anything, even leave the spare wheel on it! I have Maxxis Bighorns front and back w/stock rims and just cruise around. Still have to be careful, but I guess that comes with the territory.

Randy

Ok looked into the turbo kit a bit.

china t25/28 turbo $189

obx fmu $79.99

second f/p $59.99

mis barbed fittings/shop supply

oil lines ,either a/n and braided lines or jic hyd hose and lines, BTW kit icomes with rubber

cold and hot side tubing , mandrel bends and time at bench with Tig

exhaust log, same as above, just price of shop supplys

What else am I missing ? Not like I could afford it but I like to hope and dream ,maybe plan for next year lol

Ok looked into the turbo kit a bit.

china t25/28 turbo $189

obx fmu $79.99

second f/p $59.99

mis barbed fittings/shop supply

oil lines ,either a/n and braided lines or jic hyd hose and lines, BTW kit icomes with rubber

cold and hot side tubing , mandrel bends and time at bench with Tig

exhaust log, same as above, just price of shop supplys

What else am I missing ? Not like I could afford it but I like to hope and dream ,maybe plan for next year lol

I think your listing includes a fuel management unit (fmu) and a 2nd fuel pump (f/p), if so my set up uses the stock fuell pump but also has a blow off valve that allows for quicker spin up - seems to work well. Not sure what they cost. Otherwise, looks like you have a handle on it!