Quantcast

Trooper T2 Brakes

TROOPER T2 BRAKE PADS:

Previously I found a post on another website that called for EBC brake pads, P/N FA482TT. I was unable to find these through an american vender, so I set out to find another set that we could use. More searching may turn up something different and more affordable, but for now this is what I have found.

MFG: EBC

P/N: FA473

Application: 08-09 Can-Am Spyder RS 990 REAR, 10-12 Spyder RS-S REAR

IMPORTANT NOTES: Given that the spyder is a single rear wheel application, there is only one set of pads. Must purchase one set per wheel to be replaced. Also holes that fit over guide pins must be drilled out slightly larger.

I went to this trouble and expense hoping that the better quality pads would provide better stopping power. Sadly the brake system on the T2 still proves to be anemic in its ability to stop the buggy. If improved stopping power is what you are looking for, a solution is still not readily available. I know others (ie Lenny) have doubled up on calipers, etc to remedy this issue, but I was hoping better pads would be a happy compromise. These pads do provide better feel at the pedal, excessive pedal pressure is still need to bring it to a stop.

I called ECI this morning they have a new pressure multiplier coming out in the next month or two it will be more versatile the engineer was at a trade show he will be in Monday he will explain if it will work for the trooper application. Does anyone know what the size the old first 50 brake calipers were

Kinarfi - I found sets for $37ea. These were the FA473V ("V" denotes semi sintered pad, P/N without "V" is your straight organic)

I called ECI this morning they have a new pressure multiplier coming out in the next month or two it will be more versatile the engineer was at a trade show he will be in Monday he will explain if it will work for the trooper application. Does anyone know what the size the old first 50 brake calipers were

Keep us posted on this!!!!!

There has got to be a multiple pot caliper that can be used off a bike, with minimum changes needed. Gawd, I wish I was in Canada just for this - rummaging through bike scrap yards would likely turn up something within the hour.

I think Lenny may have touched on this in one of his posts, and I am speculating at this point, but I don't think small multi-pot calipers is our best solution. Please someone correct me if I'm off base. From what I have been able to surmise so far we have automotive master cylinders pushing ATV calipers. Automotive masters do not need to generate as much pressure because they are designed to work on larger bore caliper pistons. The larger the bore, the larger surface area for the hydraulic pressure to work on. Force = (pressure)(area). So unless we find multi-pot calipers with a total piston surface area larger than the single unit we have now, I fear we won't gain the stopping power we need/want. Plus, I don't know what is involved with installing that pressure multiplier, but I'm hoping it will be easier than finding and modding all four caliper mounts.

Another idea I would propose would be to upgrade our master cylinders to high performance motorcycle units. Thats just an idea I have right now, haven't done my research yet to figure out if those are running at a higher pressure, but I am using the theory that they are designed to work on calipers with smaller pistons. Although, the force required to stop a motorcycle is presumably less than that required to stop these Troopers. More research is needed..........

I can tell you that they were small. Casey at JMC would know the exact size or I can measure my friends. His stopping power is quite a bit less than mine and he has complained about it since first getting it. I haven't driven it so I can't say but I don't have any problems with mine. Looking at them sitting together you can definitely see a pretty big difference. We both have T4's so they are heavier than the T2's. If you want measurements I can get them or just call Casey tomorrow. You can upgrade by getting later model rotors along with brackets and that will at least give you some better braking.

Guest Lenny

The piston area in the calipers is the total of all calipers on that wheel. Two single piston calipers is just the same as a single piston of twice the area. In my case I went for doubling up on the stock calipers and my braking improved dramatically. If one calipers stops with a power of 10 then two stop with a power of 20 provided the pressure is kept the same. Doubling the pad size with the same pressure per square inch will double the stopping power. Keeping the pad size the same while doubling the pressure will double the stopping pressure. This isn't totally true but within the working design range of the pad material it is close. Bigger calipers, multiple calipers, or more pressure will all improve braking power somewhat proportionally. Of course, if a rotor is too small and gets too hot trying to do its job, then that is another issue. I haven't had that problem show up.

Lenny

The piston area in the calipers is the total of all calipers on that wheel. Two single piston calipers is just the same as a single piston of twice the area. In my case I went for doubling up on the stock calipers and my braking improved dramatically. If one calipers stops with a power of 10 then two stop with a power of 20 provided the pressure is kept the same. Doubling the pad size with the same pressure per square inch will double the stopping power. Keeping the pad size the same while doubling the pressure will double the stopping pressure. This isn't totally true but within the working design range of the pad material it is close. Bigger calipers, multiple calipers, or more pressure will all improve braking power somewhat proportionally. Of course, if a rotor is too small and gets too hot trying to do its job, then that is another issue. I haven't had that problem show up.

Lenny

In your case, you not only doubled the surface area for the hydraulic pressure to work on, but you also doubled the frictional surface area with twice as much brake pad PER WHEEL!!!! That had to be an amazing difference!

• 3 months later...

Any updates on this?