Quantcast

Direct replacement battery?

I know I have read it somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Someone posted they got a direct replacement battery for a T2 from a local parts store on the forum. I was wondering if anyone knows that part number and where I might find one. I really don't want to have to ship a battery to Utah. I also don't have time to modify my battery tray & bracketry right now.

Thanks,

Paul

Guest Lenny

I would just bring your batteries dimensions into the auto parts store and they should be able to match it up. I find Napa the best for matching things up. The other guys generally can't find anything unless you have a car make and model.

Lenny

If you take out the battery tray and put in a battery box in its place you can fit a group size 24. I put in an Optima with battery box in that space. Doesn't seem like it will fit but it will. Ricksrb did it and I followed suite. Toughest thing is getting out the existing battery tray. It is welded in there surprisingly well. Otherwise you could just take it in and they will get something close. Can be a little smaller but not bigger as again it would not fit into the tray.

Guest Lenny

I use an Optima battery too. Don't want to find myself with a low battery when way out in no mans land. I put mine under my seat. Pulled the plastic tub out and put in a partition in blocking the driveshaft area. Battery fits along with lots of extra storage. I have an extra 6 gallon gas tank where the stock battery was.

Lenny

Great...thanks guys. Right now I am busy moding the rear end (lowering) and suspension travel (lengthening). My right rear arm travel is 14.5" and the left is 15". Gotta love hand built chinese machines. I have moved my swing arm shock brackets forward and out towards the wheel. At the same time I am looking to integrify the inside swing arm where they are fracturing.

Guest Lenny

A good way to strtengthen the swing arms is to box them with 16 ga. steel continiously welded. Once reinforced, you must also strengthen the swing arm pivot ends or they will eventually crack. When I strengthened my swing arms for no flex, the stress then consentrated at the ends and they broke. Also gusset the horizontial tube the pivot point tabs mount to or they too will break away from the other frame members. Finally, thicken the tabs that hold the swing arm pivot ends and change the bolt to a bolt with a solid shank long enough to go thru both tabs. The stock setup will elongate the holes in the tabs especially the one that has the stock bolt threads being used to support the bolt in the tab area. Good work onthe suspension mods.

2367408110104928832PEyCvy_th.jpg

this picture shows how i did my upper shock mounts. This gives me some adjustability in setup.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2068180280104928832eqeRRR?vhost=good-times

This is wat can happen if you don't gusset the horizontial bar.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2922429830104928832lnWwUP?vhost=good-times

This is my suspension setup.

Lenny

A good way to strtengthen the swing arms is to box them with 16 ga. steel continiously welded. Once reinforced, you must also strengthen the swing arm pivot ends or they will eventually crack. When I strengthened my swing arms for no flex, the stress then consentrated at the ends and they broke. Also gusset the horizontial tube the pivot point tabs mount to or they too will break away from the other frame members. Finally, thicken the tabs that hold the swing arm pivot ends and change the bolt to a bolt with a solid shank long enough to go thru both tabs. The stock setup will elongate the holes in the tabs especially the one that has the stock bolt threads being used to support the bolt in the tab area. Good work onthe suspension mods.

2367408110104928832PEyCvy_th.jpg

this picture shows how i did my upper shock mounts. This gives me some adjustability in setup.

http://good-times.we...host=good-times

This is wat can happen if you don't gusset the horizontial bar.

http://good-times.we...host=good-times

This is my suspension setup.

Lenny

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I would like to eventually do most of what you said. I was up at Sandworks in Ogden recently looking at the suspension designs of a few of their cars. I was originally wanting to do a set up like on the new RZR XP's, but after looking at the nice trailing arm set ups they had, I think when properly executed, it is a better design. The problem is the side-loads we put on our Troopers when racing around corners & hitting rocks on trails. Sand cars don't see those types of loads usually, but the arms they were making looked much stronger than our Troopers.

I am going to gusset the lower side on the inside arm where it has been cracking on other Troopers. I would like to improve the pivot joints eventually as well. Mine have have some side play. They need a good/strong bushing or bearing.