Quantcast

Engine won't idle

Kinarfi

Guest Lenny

They do have an idle adustment screw. Disconnect your IAC and set your idle with the idle adj. screw and see how that goes. Currently I don't use my IAC. They are nice in colder weather for warmup but other then that the Troopers don't use it for much. You can do the same thing with your foot on the throttle padal.

Lenny

I have one you can try, but as Lenny said it is really only useful in cold weather. Once it warms up it will run fine, I haven't had mine hooked up for two years I just reset my idle with the idle screw works fine. I will send you a PM to contact me.

Evidently, My Trooper has never used the idle adjustment and I didn't think it had one, but this is what it looks like, 2300398650104110397agalUy_th.jpg 2587027120104110397QDwHSM_th.jpg and now that I have it engaged and working, i had to make several other adjustments also. I had to shorten the cable by 1/4", I must have been idling on the IAC all along because I'm certain that the butterfly used to close completely. Anyway, I now idle again and that is GOOD.

by the way, those photos were taken using a mirror,

Kinarfi

• 2 months later...
What is the IAC? Is it the sensor located at the bottom of the throttle body?YES Idle Air Control? Having surge problem and wont' start problem. Anybody have a diagram of the various sensors and what is what? Thanks. Steve

2645671480104110397FQplBB_th.jpgremember that my manifold has been flipped, the device on top & left is the IAC and the device on the side & center is the IAT/MAP sensor.

Inside the throttle body, there is an air passage around the butterfly and that passage is closed off by the IAC. If the butterfly closes fully, the IAC has to open to allow the idle air in, but if the idle air is controlled by the idle set screw, the IAC closes up and only adds to the air supply when needed.

Having surge problem and wont' start problem Suggest unplugging IAC and set idle with set screw.

Kinarfi

2645671480104110397FQplBB_th.jpgremember that my manifold has been flipped, the device on top & left is the IAC and the device on the side & center is the IAT/MAP sensor.

Inside the throttle body, there is an air passage around the butterfly and that passage is closed off by the IAC. If the butterfly closes fully, the IAC has to open to allow the idle air in, but if the idle air is controlled by the idle set screw, the IAC closes up and only adds to the air supply when needed.

Having surge problem and wont' start problem Suggest unplugging IAC and set idle with set screw.

Kinarfi

why did you flip your manifold ? is it something that added any power ?

It was pretty easy to do andat the time, I was having a problem with oil blow by due to dusted rings and as the oil would pass from the valve cover to the intake manifold, it soaked the MAP, so flipping it let the oil get sucked in and burned. It also moved the butterfly up and forward and made it easier to access the throttle and the starter and the wiring and closer to the snorkeled air filter. I doubt there was any performance changes, just easier access to several things. I like it!!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By johnpeter
      2023 Can-Am Maverick Sport XMR 1000R RED TITANIUM On Ebay
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/156096225938?

• By aefron88
      Since I've seen some questions on this I took some pictures and will provide instructions on a valve adjustment for the UT400. This should be the same for the 550's and other various Coleman/Hisun single cylinder models with the cylinder slanted aft.
      I have seen several people ask of it is really necessary, and read several reports of valves being out of adjustment from the factory. My valves were .004" intake, and .010" exhaust with about 5 hrs on the machine.  I've seen different numbers thrown around for factory spec, but I decided to go with 0.005".
      This is called valve lash. What is is is a gap between the rocker arm and the valve then the camshaft isnt opening the valve. Why does it matter? If it's too large the valve doesn't open all the way, if it's too small the valve dosent close. This can cause valve damage (overheating) as well as loss of engine power (burned fuel is going out exhaust rather than pushing the piston dow).
      Tools required : 5MM Allen wrench, 10MM box wrench, needle nose pliers, flat feeler gauge set, rags
      First you need to remove the fan cover on the passenger side. There is a cooling vent hose on the back side, remove the hose clamp and slide it off. From there there are 4x 10mm bolts holding the cover. The forward ones can be accessed from under the seat.
      Next remove the spark plug from the drivers side. Carefully wiggle the spark plug wire off. Grip it as low as possible and give it a little twisting motion as you pull it off to help free it. Its a tight fit for a socket, but there is a sheet metal wrench in the toolkit that fits it. Unscrew the plug and set it aside. This allows you to spin the motor over freely with no compression to fight. When you reassemble this is a good opportunity to switch to an NGK iridium plug for better performance/less fouling DR8EIX)
      Next you need to remove the intake and exhaust valve covers. The intake us the forward one. There are 3x 5MM Allen screws to remove. The Exhaust is the rear with 2x 5MM Allen bolts. Both covers have O-Rings instead of gaskets and are reusable. When you remove the rear be careful and use your rags as there will be oil that drips out.
      Next up we need to spin the motor over to top dead center. Grab each rocker arm and give em a little wiggle up and down. Spin the engine over by grabbing the fan with your other hand. Spin the engine over until both rockers have some wiggle and are loose.

Once both rockers are loose slide the feeler gauge in like shown above. Try different feelers as needed to determine your starting spec. You should feel some drag but still be able to move the feeler without too much force.
      If you need to adjust, use the 10MM wrench to slightly loosen the locknut, then with the correct feeler gauge in place, tighten the top square nut while wiggling the feeler in and out. Once you have it right you need to tighten the 10mm lock nut without moving the square head bolt. Once the lock nut is tight recheck the clearance.
      That's it, button everything back up and make sure you have it all reassembled before running it again.
      If you find this helpful give me a thumbs up or comment. If you have any questions or need more help let me know. If there's interest maybe I'll do some more of these
    • By johnpeter
      2023 Can-Am Maverick Sport XMR 1000R RED TITANIUM On Ebay
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/156096225938?

• By Richard shepard
      I have a 2021 colman 400utv engine will start and idle, as soon as you hit throttle to move engine dies and will only start when you throttle it, let off throttle it dies, I replaced the injector and plug still the same, anyone have any other ideas
    • By Bassarino51
      My 2014 Odes with less than 1000 miles suddenly won’t turn over with a fully charged battery.