Quantcast

Trying to track down odd noise...

Tinman

Ok, just the basics:

On 2x4 everything is fine.

Once I put it into 4x4, everything goes well for about 1 mile, then bang like a hammer strike on metal. This repeats itself, worse on paved roads, less on rocks. It sounds like it's in the front, but I can't really tell.

At one time, the buggy was pulling to the right just before the bang, but now I get nothing. Figured it was the bolt holding the lower A arm not clamping properly.

I've shimmed both diffs with Lenny's kits. I've raised the rear and checked for anything odd. Did same for front. Turn one wheel, opposite wheel turns in opposite direction as it should. Both front band back diffs feel fine.

Checked alignment, and it checks out ok.

Suspicious it might be front diff cus it only happens on 4x4, but don't know.

Any ideas?

Ok, just the basics:

On 2x4 everything is fine.

Once I put it into 4x4, everything goes well for about 1 mile, then bang like a hammer strike on metal. This repeats itself, worse on paved roads, less on rocks. It sounds like it's in the front, but I can't really tell.

At one time, the buggy was pulling to the right just before the bang, but now I get nothing. Figured it was the bolt holding the lower A arm not clamping properly.

I've shimmed both diffs with Lenny's kits. I've raised the rear and checked for anything odd. Did same for front. Turn one wheel, opposite wheel turns in opposite direction as it should. Both front band back diffs feel fine.

Checked alignment, and it checks out ok.

Suspicious it might be front diff cus it only happens on 4x4, but don't know.

Any ideas?

just a thought but maybe when shifting into 4x4 its not going in all the way and after driving a distance it pops in. Did it do it before the upgrade?

Jack the front up, leave it in gear with the e brake on, put the locker in and have some one turn the wheels while you bring the 4 x 4 in so you can see how much lever it takes, if it takes most of it, you're probably just barely engaged.

Another thing to do while the front is up is put in 4 x 4 with it in gear and e brake on and with out the locker, now have someone turn the front wheels as you bring the lockers in and see where they engage. The bang could also be them popping out.

Now that everything is adjusted as near as I can, another issue has crept up.

On 4x4, the rig pulls to the right bad. On 2x4, I'm fine. Did the upgrade front and back.

Raised it up, and front end feels fine, both in 2x4 and 4x4.

Any ideas?

Guest Lenny

Now that everything is adjusted as near as I can, another issue has crept up.

On 4x4, the rig pulls to the right bad. On 2x4, I'm fine. Did the upgrade front and back.

Raised it up, and front end feels fine, both in 2x4 and 4x4.

Any ideas?

Sounds like one of the left wheels is pulling while the one on the other side isn't. If you drive in 2x4 ok then the problem has to be in the front. If the CV balls had fallen out of the CV joint, that could do it. I had that in the back once and it would drive ok but if I would get into it, it would pull hard to the right. The right CV balls had come out into the boot from over flexing the joint (my limit strap came loose) causing only the rear left wheel to drive but that was only if I was locked out in the rear otherwise it wouldn't go. If that was the case in your front, then you should be able to jack the front up, lock the front dif, put it in 4x4f and when you turn one wheel the other wouldn't turn. If it does turn, try it with one front wheel on the ground. Then try it with the other front wheel on the ground. Another approach would be to put the back up on jack stands so the wheels are off the ground. Now don't have the front locked out but have it in 4 wheel drive. With the engine running and it in gear it should want to go froward when you start to ease the clutch out. Be careful you don't drive it off the jack stands. If it doesn't want to drive, the two front wheels arn't connected leading me to think one of the Cv's had lost it's balls. If this is the case, it can just be put back together. I can't think of anything else that would cause that problem. While, maybe a flat tire on one side.

Lenny