Quantcast

rocmoc

Finishing the Small Items/Problems on Project Jeep

One of the problems that kept us from taking the Jeep with us was my Jeep was leaning on the left side (lower on the driver's side) after everything was mounted; New tires, new wheels, new leaf springs, new shakles & new diffs. It also caused the Jeep to dive on the driver's side when you turned quickly towards the right. I couldn't find the cause and I was under a timeline, time was running out. I was too reactionary! While traveling and upon the return home, I told myself to slow down, think and measure. I have fixed stuff like this before. So today I took the time to measure and just lay under the Jeep looking at the frame. Inch by inch comparing left side to right side. THEN, I SAW IT! The frame supporting the front spring hanger on the rear diff on the driver's side was bent. I took a floor jack and lifted the frame at the location aprox the amount of the bend and sure enough the Jeep was nearly level. In one of my shops when I poured the floor I installed tie-downs in case I ever had a problem like this. I will tie her down, jack her up until the bend is gone. I will then box both sides so this can't happen in the future. Must have happened when the right rear axle came out on the previous owner. I never saw it as the axle was hanging out when I bought her. At any rate it is a good day when you solve a problem!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Turned out there was A LOT of small items / problems. One I have been working on is the Jeep rode and handled like cr*p. I did every easy fix there is but no improvement. Finally I took the leaf springs apart and removed 2 leafs leaving 4 in the stack. I also put a wedge in the front spring mount to improve caster. WOW what an improvement. The springs now have travel so the shocks can work. I am going to bite the bullet and purchase Fox Shocks. It seems except in the racing community, Jeep suspension technology is lagging behind. At any rate progess has been made. Second problem was / is exhaust noise. There was so much at first I could not tell the NEW Headman Headers had leaks. Finally after clearing up some of the noise I found the leaks. The surfaces of the flange is not flat & one pipe is not fully weld. I can't return them as I had to redesign one tube for clearance around the steering column. So, I have it off and doing the fixes myself. All in all I am feeling better about the new beast.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Have been working on the handling and made BIG improvements yesterday. Added a lot more caster! She is now ready for the road. Very few rattles & small stuff left. Will continue to work on those but it is time to buy the insurance so she can be driven. Will make little local trips to post office and the such then move on to bigger trips & off road. It is getting there.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

WELL, the handling turned out the be a BIG item/issue. A Jeep requires 4+ degrees of postitve caster to drive correctly. If you have less the steering will wander making it very difficult to stay on even a smooth road. A mod I had planned for the future is reversing the shackles in the front. The spring hangers are reversed where the shackle is in the rear and the pivot / solid mount end is moved to the front. This mod ends up with A LOT of postitive caster. It worked. Completed the mod and for the first time I can drive the Jeep at speed. One more of those little items/issues and I can start enjoying. Oh yeah, two more little items/issues. Turns out I have to rebuild the transfer case, $400.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Ouch $400...i remember when i had to rebuild my transfer case in my 02 silverado i end up doing it myself for $400 in parts and lube, I'm more than sure you would be able to tackle a older trasfer case i just hope it's not iron

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ouch $400...i remember when i had to rebuild my transfer case in my 02 silverado i end up doing it myself for $400 in parts and lube, I'm more than sure you would be able to tackle a older trasfer case i just hope it's not iron

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Good news is I still have money in the budget from the sale of my Troopers. A couple of things I don't work on is Trannys, Transfer Cases & Diffs. I will do everything else. $400 isn't that bad. I got a quote for replacing the front & rear tranny seals and the rear diff seal on a '57 Ford I own. $600 so just adding fluids & drip-pan as everthing works well, just drips.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico