Quantcast

trooper shocks from yearben

What's with UPS,  After delaying my shipments, I finally got the second one, Mon at 8:pm, that's 3 days late in my book, Do they need to get some more help or better management.  With the down time, I totally disassembled both Yearben, then, again because I was waiting on UPS still, put them back together as spring mounts, no oil, on reservoir, no O-rings, just in case my mounting brackets for MY F-O-A shocks developed a problem.

Some history, when I had the F-O-As on the yellow 08 Trooper, I had to run a limit strap to keep the swing arm from going down too far and hitting the axle and knocking it out of the CV, which happened a few times.

When Joyner advised me about rebuilding the Yearben, they said I could get a bit more travel by leaving a spacer out, but I would have to run limit straps again, which was my plan until I started tearing them down and saw what I had. I had to rebuild my shocks, and it became a choice between Yearben and F-O-A. I went with the F-O-As for a lot of reasons, longer travel, dual springs, easy to build. To take advantage the longer travel, I needed to move the shock mount, so I did, I moved it back by the wheel and out, oops too far, add another mount for the top that is behind the the stock mount. Tomorrow, I'll see how I did, and I'll take some photos too.

• Like 1

Here's a few photos of how I remounted my rebuilt F-O-A 2.0" shocks with 2.5 coil over springs (200# over 400#) (and it feels about right), I think this is an  8" 10"  shock, but I will check and if wrong, I'll edit the post.  The limit strap is Amsteel-Blue Rope,(http://www.go2marine.com/product/38345F/samson-amsteel-blue-rope.html?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=gb1&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=productfeed&utm_campaign=googleshopping&gclid=CjwKEAjwvYPKBRCYr5GLgNCJ_jsSJABqwfw7GsayfIaI2VFV5AJMJAD1Qoe1Wojhr9ASGTsHv9qK-xoCFXPw_wcB ) so I'm sure it's strong enough!

I'm still doing finishing up things,painting, tightening and checking and need to put the deck back on and test some more.

IMG_20170613_132407.jpg

IMG_20170613_163509.jpg

IMG_20170613_134414.jpg

IMG_20170613_132500.jpg

IMG_20170613_132422.jpg

Edited by Kinarfi
  • Like 1

I measured the shocks, I had 9" of shaft showing and the limit straps are holding about an inch inside, SO! they are 10".

When I set my limit straps up, set it so I have about 1/8" separation between axle and swing arm when the wheels are off the ground, then just to see if they ever make contact, I put tape on the axle and as long as the tape looks good, no contact was made.

IMG_20170614_185513.jpg

IMG_20170614_185502.jpg

IMG_20170614_174937.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/15/2017 at 8:24 PM, 2scoops said:

Jeff,

Curious how you came up with rear shock mount placement? Is that where you had it on your last rig? What is the total travel? 

With the additional weight of my 32" tires I need to adjust my rebound.

These shocks were on the yellow 08, and the seals were blown, when I bought the blue '15, they took the stock shocks off and gave them to me after putting the yearbens on, when I sold the yellow '08, I took the F-O-As off and put the new stock shocks from the blue'15 on it and kept the leaking F-O-As as spares, it's a season or two later and I need to replace the Yearbens, so this is where I'm at now.

The placement of the lower shock mount was by MY choice, my theory being that all the forces down on the swing arm should be as close to center of the wheel as possible to reduce the tendency to cause the swing arm to roll from rolling, as it did on the yellow'08 and I had to change the right swing arm because the right side tire had a bad inward lean at the top, it may have come that way and I didn't notice.  

The upper mount was because I put the lower one back too far, the shock is compressed about an inch with the limit straps, So I have about 9 inches of shock travel and without taking the springs off, I can't be sure of what the wheel travel is.

As for a good ride, I think I hit my target pretty good, went for a ride yesterday and when I came to a pretty good whoop, I didn't back out of it or any thing else and was very please how the Trooper took it, so was the wife.  I have 200# 10" over 400# 10" springs and it's been so long since I messed with the valving washers, I'm not sure how I have them set. 

I uploaded a .AVI video here, it's 10 minutes of the wheel going round and round and the shock going up and down.

Capture.JPG

VIDEO_2017-06-13 18-04-48.avi

silverbullet.

If you need help call 2 scopes He is one of the veteran on trooper repairs.If anybody has a joyner You have a chous now  for all your problems he can help.It is good to have somebody to work out wiring or engine repairs to ask for help.Since new Joyner owners need help.I can help if you need help just call 928 344 2117. ask for rick.