Welcome to UTV BOARD - UTV Forum, Side by Side Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Dan B

2014 Renegade 1100cc 4WD Engagement

5 posts in this topic

I'm new to 4WD.  I have a 2014 Renegade T2, 1100cc engine, 1700 mi.  I'm having difficulty selecting 4WD.  I don't want to do anything that might cause damage.  The only info I can find is to bring the UTV to a complete stop before selecting 4WD.  When I do that, the handle doesn't seem to engage 4WD; it doesn't stay in the down position.  Do I have to release the clutch?  Do I have to drive forward / backward to make it engage?  I don't think I have a transmission problem (no grinding of any gears).  Maybe a cable adjustment issue?

Thanks in advance for your help.

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

The 4WD lever is "spongy" and doesn't feel like it's locked into the 4WD position even though the transaxle seems to be in 4WD.

do you understand what happens to engage 4 wheel drive? have you had your front differential apart yet?

I know it has to connect the front axles to the drive train either through the differential or inside the transaxle itself.  In my research, it's in the front differential.  I'm reluctant to take anything apart at this point since I'm new to 4WD and off-roading.  I just want to know if the lever is operating normally.  I don't want it to pop out of 4WD on the fly and maybe cause damage.

Thank you for any info and insight you can provide.

silverbullet

Just look to see if cable is moving.Have somebody move lever up and  down and while they are moving it just look to see if cable is pulling out the differential pin

it should move pin in and out.

Rich