Quantcast

Cylinder Head Bolts

Travis

Hey, how important is it to buy new head bolts when rebuilding an engine? My brother who has rebuilt several big and small engines says it's important, some say it's an option, If you have the money, do it, If you don't, don't.

01 Kawasaki Mule 550 C5.

Since there couldn't be much to it, taking that measurement. I would think, that they wouldn't mind measuring that for you. Since you've had them do some other work on this same engine. 

I'd suggest that you take it with you, and visit the shop. Talk to the guy that you talked to before, about the casting defect/crack. And ask how you'd go about measuring for that shim. Tell him what you don't understand about the procedure. Or that you don't have the tool, whatever. Maybe offer him ten bucks.

My guess would be that you'd just use a feeler gauge. Making sure that the crank is pulled forward, if it has any play, front to rear. But I've never dealt with that, and without seeing it in person, I can only guess.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Travis
      How ya feeling?
    • By Josh Lounder
      I acquired an older HISUN BIG BUCK 500 that hasn't run in years.  Little elbow grease and she's running.  I have a few more parts to switch out but when revving the engine over 4K the r light starts blinking.  After googling and seeing other people I replaced the rev limit switch under the air box and found the same issue.  I traced the green and white stripe wire back to the computer module and found no breaks in the wire and cleaned the connectors.  Still same issue.  I then cut the wire right at the plug and grounded it directly to the battery.  I can now rev over 4k rpm however the light still blinks and when in reverse the light no longer lights up.  Anyone else run into this?  Can R light blinking mean something else.....HELP, what am i missing?????
    • By Kontra06
      Thanks for letting me join in!
      Looking at the Tracker 800DSX LE for my "runabout" rig and something to take the grandkids out into the desert dust and brush.
      Kontra06 (Mark Porter)
    • By BuggyBoy
      Just bought a new Hisun E1. From the minute i drove it off the barge (we live in an island) it had a loud 'creaking' noise from the rear, and a clanking and vibration from the front. The noise at the front sounds and feels like a CV or UJ has gone. All shafts and joints are solid and seem to be greased, as are mounts for gearbox and diffs. The vehicle sounds like an old steam train going down the road - worse going down hills but no real difference turning or 2WD, 4WD or diff lock on. Noises increase/decrease with speed of vehicle, so definatley  drive-train related, not just something loose. Oddly, all noises go in reverse.
      Real pain in the backside to get to dealer as will cost about $1500 just to get it there and back again. Anybody experienced these issues or similar on an E1 or any other Hisun?
      Cheers.
    • eManualOnline
    • By jsm2006
      I have a 2012 yardsport 700xlt that started with a high idle, I changed out the throttle body but it was still too high. I then messed with the throttle cable positioning and now it will run for about 30 sec. and then as soon as I touch the gas it sputters and dies like its getting too much gas. I've changed out the filters and checked the pump. It could be something completely else but a mechanic told me to reset the engine management system but all I know to do is take the battery cables off and touch the 2 ends together.