Quantcast

Fred Oliphant

Diff lock, front or rear only?

Have been looking at purchaseing my first UTV. Seems like a lot of the lower entry type models only have one locking diff. Some brands are front lock only and others have rear lock only. Is one a better option? 

silverbullet

i need to know what joyner you are looking.The type #is the number on the vin above the metal tag.

thanks Rich

silverbulletmotorsports.net 928 344 2117

• Confused 1

This is just a quick summary of what I've read that drove my decision to buy a 4WD with locking diffs both front & rear.  I also decided against the CVT in favor of a clutch and 5-speed transmission (similar to a car).  If you're looking for a 2WD UTV, then it won't make much difference.  I wouldn't consider taking one of these into a situation where I might need a locking diff.  I personally would want a 4WD with both front & rear locking diffs independently selectable.  I want to have the option of having all four wheels available to get me out of trouble.  But even 4WD with full lockers won't guarantee anything.   Most prefer rear lockers because lockers on the steering axle leaves a lot to be desired on soft sand or dirt (tends to not go in the direction you want to go).

Front lockers are on UTVs that are FWD; rear lockers are on UTVs that are RWD.  Again, it's a matter of preference whether you want FWD or RWD.  Most are RWD.  Unlike cars, I don't know of any FWD UTVs.

• Like 1

A locking differential works best if it's on the axle that bears the most weight. If you've got the option for both, and they lock independent of each other. Each having it's own switch, that'd probably be best. Otherwise go with the weight thing. That would maximize the traction. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Opinions of various UTV brands/models?

Hello everyone, I'm doing an update to a project of mine on the side-by-side/UTV market and I'm interested in your opinions. It's extremely quick and anonymous and I’d be happy to share the results with the community.  Also, as a small token of my appreciation I will be having a drawing among respondents for a $50 VISA giftcard for those interested. It's not much but the most I can offer as a one person team. Questionnaire Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MJWTDWT The research isn't for any of these companies, I am just curious to see the updated opinion of the brands and new models. Thank you very much for your help! Also, if you are interested in seeing the results from my previous reports they are at the link below. However, please read it after answering the current questions, so as not to color your responses. Thank you! Previous Reports:  https://www.scribd.com/document/388250480/ORV-Consumer-Survey-Fall-2016?secret_password=t953zxjvDKv4iDAe3qWM https://www.scribd.com/document/388250722/ORV-Consumer-Survey-Fall-2017?secret_password=GIQSzm2lckCMf09JNrNn

By orvresearcher, in UTV General Discussion

• 0 replies
    • Commando anywhere i can find a rear diff and exhaust header

I just recently bought a cheap running joyner cammando and i need to find a rear differential and exhaust any help would be greatly appreciated.

By Bryan T Mumink Jr, in Joyner UTV SxS Forum

• 3 replies
    • front axle for kubota rtv 900 2000 model

Hello, I’m writing this because I desperately need some assistance with front axle for kubota rtv 900 2000 model. My stepfather told me his two front axles of his  kubota rtv broken separately yesterday and he couldn't distinguish which is for left or right. Are left and right front cv axles the same on a 2000 kubota rtv 900 4x4 ? And what's the cost of kubota rtv 900 axles ? I don't learn much about kubota rtv and hope someone tell me. Thank you.

By matt wichert, in Kubota UTV RTV Forum

• 1 reply
    • Trooper loud clunk in front

I'm having a loud bang in the front every now and then. It sounds like it comes from the left and right wheels (alternately). It doesn't do it on flat road at all, only on a rutted dirt path. At first I thought it was the suspension violently reaching the extent of it's travel, kind of like a no rubber metal on metal bang. I just got it (used) so it's a mystery how long this bang has been there. Any ideas?

By Jacksnife, in Joyner UTV SxS Forum

• 15 replies