Quantcast

Catylictic Converters & exhaust

4x4x454

Now I need to do something about the Supertrapp sticking out so far. I have not decided if I want to loose the cat or not what do you think?

Try this, and if it works put up photos, it is what I have in mind, but I may use a longer supertrapp and a support unless you don't think it's needed. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku Notice it has a 2" ID and a 2" OD

MOVED

The problem with that is the sound comes out 360 deg. and it would be directed right back at you. I was thinking of running a j pipe and another j pipe so i could get it to come out under the middle of the tail lights. I would end up with a big long s between the cat and the supertrapp. I actually bought the pipe with the supertrapp I just haven't decided if I want to keep the cat. If I do this the O2 sensor on the in side of the cat needs to be moved to the first pipe on the header and the O2 sensor passed the cat needs to be moved to right before the supertrapp.

MOVED

The problem with that is the sound comes out 360 deg. and it would be directed right back at you. I was thinking of running a j pipe and another j pipe so i could get it to come out under the middle of the tail lights. I would end up with a big long s between the cat and the supertrapp. I actually bought the pipe with the supertrapp I just haven't decided if I want to keep the cat. If I do this the O2 sensor on the in side of the cat needs to be moved to the first pipe on the header and the O2 sensor passed the cat needs to be moved to right before the supertrapp.

I imagine the O2 sensors are use to check the function of the cat and get different reading and the computer adjusts the fuel air mix accordingly. Losing any of set may effect the operation because the computer know what it wants. I would check with some experts before taking anything out.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter : In vehicles with OBD-II, a second oxygen sensor is fitted after the catalytic converter to monitor the O2 levels. The on-board computer makes comparisons between the readings of the two sensors. If both sensors give the same output, the catalytic converter is non-functioning, and must be replaced. It will also spot less serious damage to a catalytic converter, such as the use of leaded racing fuel in an on-road vehicle.

MOVED

I talked to Clint at No Limits Power Sports and he said off the record of course to loose the cat. The locations for the O2 sensors I spoke of before is where he told me to put them. He said to get them as far apart as possible. The O2 before the cat should go in the farthest forward tube on the header the O2 sensor after the cat should go just before the muffler. This is what he said he would do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.... I had 2 of my customers use a 90 off the tail pipe, then a 16 or 18 in. glasspack. Like a cherry bomb.... swept behind the radiator , then another 90 to kick the noise out behind the machine. No loss in performance, and dropped the noise level to a nicer "note". Just an option. A.

I have a new muffler for mine, just have not had time to put it on. This last week-end while camping i looked at the cat and said what the hell. Took a socket stuck it on the end of a extension and let the hammer rip. Knocked the cat out with the cat still on the engine. It seemed to help the top end, had the engine against the rev limiter in high gear. It is louder now, but i think i might just put a baffle in the cat so it looks stock . It did not hurt the bottom-end, I think it made it better, but it is hard to tell because of the sound of the engine.

You know what, i think the fuel millage went upwith the cat out. The new fuel tank pick-up worked great. I had about 20 jeeps and i dont know how many other utvs watch me go up the side of this mountain. These things are like a billy goat on hard pact. no one else tried going up the hill.