Quantcast

Hisun 500 engine thermostat

OlEd

I don't see how a thermostat missing would cause overheating. The thermostat is used to get the motor to heat up to operating temp, so you can run a heater, etc. Lack of a thermostat would cause it to run too cool. 

I'd look for other problems, like the water pump impeller running backwards. It has to push water in a certain direction, or it doesn't work right. I had a jeep that had this problem. The parts house gave me one to fit a serpentine belt. Which went underneath the bottom side of the pulley. Turning it the opposite direction.

Or an air bubble in the system. Today's cooling systems have to be "burped" sometimes. Especially foreign cars.

• Like 1

I understand operation of thermostat. The question I was asking was why do you call it thermostat housing if one is not there from factory.  Impeller is going the way the engine is turning, no belts. Have bleed air, it just won’t move water to radiator to cool by fan which is controlled by temp which water not moving to radiator will not activate fan. Ordering a new water pump which I see nothing wrong with this one. It is one of very few parts that can be ordered. 

The engine block casting process is pretty standardised, and would need to have some sort of piece to attach the coolant hose. So they used a typical thermostat housing. That way they don't have to engineer a hose nipple. Then pay to have it manufactured, which would only increase costs. The thermostat housing can be easily sourced. And it's common in any manufacturing industry to source common, non- propietary parts from elsewhere, and not manufacturing in- house. So it's natural to call it what it is, even though it doesn't actually contain a thermostat. That would be my guess.

I'm sure that you could put one in there if it has the relief cut around the rim. So that the thermostat would properly seat, & seal. Although that wouldn't help your overheating problem. My guess would still be a water pump problem, or air in the system. Of course, not examining it personally, I can't totally rule out a blockage in the system, a clogged radiator or internally collapsed hose or something. But that seems extremely unlikely, and I trust that you've eliminated those possibilities.

• Thanks 1

I understand operation of thermostat. The question I was asking was why do you call it thermostat housing if one is not there from factory.  Impeller is going the way the engine is turning, no belts. Have bleed air, it just won’t move water to radiator to cool by fan which is controlled by temp which water not moving to radiator will not activate fan. Ordering a new water pump which I see nothing wrong with this one. It is one of very few parts that  is available. This pump was put on by someone else and leaked oil and water. I pulled and found no gaskets orings. New orings installed, back flushed radiator also visually seen propeller turn with water pushing through. How’re ever I did notice impeller would move in and out like it was spring loaded.  It must be springing out and gear no connecting pump shaft is only thing i can determine.  How many degrees is hot? Curious cause can open bleeder on thermostat housing and it streams out. 

• 8 months later...

They notoriously run hot - search this forum for adapting bigger dual electric fans - my 800 does have thermostats (supposedly, I never took them off to see if they are installed -  living in a tropical climate makes  them needless) mine ran hot because some genius installed the license plate over the front grill for the radiator.  I drilled my own holes and made a bracket to mount it hanging down below the bumper - it regularly gets folded off roading but I flatten it back straight enough to keep the tránsito from pulling me over - if you are certain that the pump is working - I would keep burping it for air bubbles - had that problem with a little 3 cylinder Korean car for several months before I finally got it to purge completely - you may have to start it cold, with a hose in the radiator and just keep running the motor and burping the return hose until it gets too hot to hold on to and you can almost feel the circulating water pressure as you squeeze the hose. 

• 3 weeks later...

Having same issue with my 750.  I have flushed entire system and bled it over and over.  It gets hot and no water in thermostat housing.  I find no leaks, no water in oil, and no smell of antifreeze in exhaust.  Thinking waterpump but its not leaking and thinking there is not anything in the pump to mess up.

Water pumps can go bad without leaking. Usually its a bad bearing. You can try taking the belt off, and rotate the pulley by hand.  If the bearing is bad. You'll feel it.

There was another member here that had everything in the cooling  system working. But it still overheated. He said that he found a weak breaker. I'd guess it was for the fan. Typically the fan is the weak link in most of these situations. Although the sending unit is a close second. 

So tell us more about what you've checked so far?

Well when it first happened the radiator and hoses were cool so there was no flow.  I fojnd when i pulled the bleeder screw on the thermostat type housing there was no water and it was super hot.  I pulled the plug off the sensor on the housing and the light went out.  Connected it back and light xame back on.  I filled radiator and bled it and got flow again.  I ran it and hoses  and radiator got hot and fan started.  I thought I had fixed it but after running it around for 10 minutes it got hot again.  Checked and again no water at thermostat housing bleeder.  Added water and rebled with flont end elevated.  Again hoses got hot and fan came on and 10 minutes of running and same thing.  Radiator and hoses cool again.  I checked for leaks and all tight.  Checked exhaust for smell of antifreeze and nothing.  Checked oil for antifreeze and nothing.  I am stumped.  Engine starts and runs fine.  No leaks found and seems to circulate water initially but then stops.  I have a hard time believing its a water pump but I am runnkng out of ideas.  Oh I also flushed radiator and lines and no obstructions found.

Smelling the exhaust isn't enough to determine anything. To check for a bad head gasket, you'll need to perform a leak down test. 

What about a bad radiator cap. Have you checked that?

That heat sensor needs to be tested for continuity. 

No the fan does not run because the rad and front hoses are cool.   The rad cap seals tight but not sure how to check it.  I am also not familiar with a leak down test.  What is so strange is it I bleed it and it circulates.  When I run it then it seems to not at high rpms and gets hot.

My guess is that its a head gasket, just from the weird symptoms. And the low hours, and it being relatively new. But I'm definitely just guessing here. Try the leak down test. Its a conclusive test for that condition. And will definitely answer that particular question. 

Here's another question. Was it doing this when you bought it?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Gorj
      I have had my E1 since late last summer and I have always noticed that the parking brake was weak or non existent. About a month or so after I purchased it I mentioned to the dealer that the parking brake did not function well. What I was expecting from the dealer, ' well bring it in and we will correct the issue.' What I got was the typical dealer response, "it may just need to be adjusted." No shit!  Well I finally decided to adjust it. A very simple process need only two 10mm wrenches.  Open the bed, remove the pin holding the bed  to the strut and move the bad out of the way. Right in front of the electric motor is a brake disk.  That is the parking brake. It has a small set of brake pads that are actuated by a lever attached to parking brake cable.  There are two 10 mm nuts on the shaft to moves the pads. Release the inner nut and hold it in place while screwing in the outer nut - that is really a bolt. After screwing it in about one turn, tighten the other nut.  Check the parking brake. If it is holding when activated, then you are good, but if not, then you may have to turn the bolt another turn. Do not turn to far or you will lock it up.
    • By Ric Silveira
      Like to upgrade to led headlight bulbs
      Anyone know what part number I need to replace the original  bulbs they are terrible cant see anything lol
      Thanks
    • By Billsectere
      New to the forum. New to UTVs. New to Electric motors.  I just got a 2021 Hisun Sector E to help with moving stuff on my  steep 5 acre wooded mountain patch. Plus I thought it would be fun on the gravel roads in the "neighborhood". Because we are remote and part time to the property, I didn't want the hassle of dumping out old gas or messing with oil and filters and all the usual maintenance of a ICE. But the biggest reason for me was the noise. I test drove the Axis utvs at Tractor Supply Co and they were LOUD. Seemed to ride rough too. If you want quiet, then electric is the way to go. But it does come with a high price tag. And all the electric models are still in their infancy. So its a bit of a gamble too. I bought the property for quiet. I wanted to keep it quiet.
      I liked that the Hisun had the dry cell batteries so there is no maintenance of checking and adding water. I'm a little worried about their lifespan especially after one person's poor utube review about them. But the dealer said the company took that to heart so hopefully changes were made for better batteries. There were no Lithium battery options available anywhere near me. Polaris is supposed to have one later this year. I liked that the Hisun came standard with roof, windshield, winch and trailer hitch. I have had the sector for only one day and worked it and road it good. So far I have a big smile on my face. I wish there was a category for this model on the forum here. Meanwhile, maybe folks will share their insights/ experiences on this thread. I'd like to learn as much about the sector e as I can. There isn't much info in the owners manual.

• By Michael Hudson
      So my wife picked out a brand new Hisun crew 4x4 750 axis 4x4. When it gets hot it shuts off. This vehicle has less than 20 miles. I'm the dark here. First I have no access to a trouble shooting guide and have even blindly performed the "wiggle tests" as I used to do as a drive ability tech on cars professionally. I'm not able to locate what's getting overheated to cause it to shut off. After awhile it'll start right up and no issues. While trying to duplicate the problem sitting at idle, it'll eventually cut off again. Again when cooled off will start again. 

I'm hating this machine and wished she'd gone with a pricier but more reliable sxs. My grizzly 550 rarely gives me issues that isn't my fault. 
    • eManualOnline
    • By FTR
      Hello I know I started this topic before but I have lost it.  So here is the story, I bought this XLT 500 earlier this year it is was and still is in rough shape the ID plate is gone, faded paint, bad window, etc...  When I got it, it ran rough and the all of a sudden  it quit running.  So I started looking into it and found no spark.  No biggie changed plug, and coil, still nothing.  So went and replaced the coil wire, still nothing.  So I have gone pretty far now.  I have replaced the stator magneto, the voltage regulator, CDI, I do have the crank shaft position sensor but have never figured out where it goes have been told around the stator but have yet to find it.  Have chased wire out and still nothing.  At the coil I have one wire giving good voltage the other one nothing, and when you crank it the voltage goes all over the place.  So besides the key I have changed every part that has to do with the starting that I can find.  So information on what I am missing or doing wrong would be great, it acts like the kill switch on the brakes is stopping it from starting, however I have bypassed that to make sure that was not the problem and still nothing.  So aside of parking this thing in the back and letting it die a slow death I am at a loss on what to do next, Help!
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Josh Lounder
      I acquired an older HISUN BIG BUCK 500 that hasn't run in years.  Little elbow grease and she's running.  I have a few more parts to switch out but when revving the engine over 4K the r light starts blinking.  After googling and seeing other people I replaced the rev limit switch under the air box and found the same issue.  I traced the green and white stripe wire back to the computer module and found no breaks in the wire and cleaned the connectors.  Still same issue.  I then cut the wire right at the plug and grounded it directly to the battery.  I can now rev over 4k rpm however the light still blinks and when in reverse the light no longer lights up.  Anyone else run into this?  Can R light blinking mean something else.....HELP, what am i missing?????
    • By Robby
      Hello, I have a 2013 500 utv hisun. Was running ok and cut out while parked. Bike will not start now. It turns over, but won't fire. I have no spark and no fuel. I replaced fuel pump, ignition coil, spark plug, cdi, voltage rectifier and all the fuses and relays. Could bad stater cause no fuel because I can't hear the fuel pump priming. Any info on where to start looking for problem.
    • By ruralaus
      Hi everyone, this is my first post  regarding my Hisun 500. I bought it a short time ago thinking it was all fine, test drove it and no smoke and seemed fine. Got it home and took it for a run and instantly started to over heat (admittedly I didn't look at temp gauge when I was test driving it, I know stupid mistake), so towed it back to the shed let it cool and tried again and quickly started to overheat. Rad was stone cold and smoke pouring out the exhaust. Pulled the head off and gasket was blown, so replaced that and got the head checked for cracks etc and all OK. Replaced the water pump and purged the system and coolant now flowing, but still blowing white/gray smoke, although not over heating. Thought the smoke might clear so took it for a run and suddenly engine just stopped, towed it back again and everything looked OK, so ran it at idle for a while with no issues but still smoking, then gave it some revs and it stopped abruptly, started it again and same thing. Touch the throttle and it stops.
      Any suggestions, as I am out of ideas? Only thing I can think is to take the engine out and to an engine builder for a full rebuild, but thought I would ask everyone here first if I am missing something obvious. 
      Thanks
    • By Hisun .500
      I've got a 2008 Hisun 500 cc and I've been having problems with it cutting out under load or at a  certain  speed ,or when I floor it its always the same noise and no power I've  changed spark plug  ,coil coil wire valves, ,timing chain ,filter  throttle cable  ,carburetor , stator ,,,,,so this started one day while riding and it backfired a bunch of times and it shut off going down the road but came back on before we stopped we made it home and its never been the same since....please help

• By Marks hisun
      Hi  Everyone out there hope you can help me with this problem Change toil put a new fuel injector and Now no - lights cranks but doesn't start Check the control Box getting 12 bolts I don't hear the pump coming on when you turn the key I'm stumped  Checked all the connections Everything seems in order When I finish with the  Well change fuel injector of course I filter it started right up Reset ECM France fine pull it out into the drive let it run for a little bit everything was OK then it just quit on its own it hasn't started since Help somebody out there can help me with this thank you
  • Gallery Images