Quantcast

leenanj

Reno, your place!

Just some interesting info about Reno where I live!

Everyone has been to Reno at one time right.

Many famous movies were filmed in Reno.

The 'Biggest Little City in the World' is what the sign reads.

Now the largest free spanning bridge in the world is under construction.

It will connect Reno with Carson City, the Nevada state capital.

There will be many smaller bridges along it path and the highway will

scale the side of the mountains with the bridges being heated during the

winter months.

As not to disturb the horse grazing, wildlife and off-road trails. :rolleyes:

Since our Democratic Senator Harry Reid is a avid off-roader he has

made sure our areas have been kept open and unrestricted for off-roading

with staging areas everywhere. New developments were not allowed to

block off access to BLM land at least here in Northern Nevada.

Here is a picture of the construction, taken about a half mile away

is about as close as you can get at this time by car.

Funny, here in Southern AZ we build in the valley and don't want anything to disturb the slopes. Just the opposite. What was wrong with widening the old route? Less costly and the critters were already disturbed.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Funny, here in Southern AZ we build in the valley and don't want anything to disturb the slopes. Just the opposite. What was wrong with widening the old route? Less costly and the critters were already disturbed.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Roc

I am not sure why the planning commission chose to build this route

as I don't get involved with them but I have a good idea.

If your familiar with Washoe Valley from Reno to Carson it is

quite a narrow valley scattered with ranches and fertile grazing

land for horses and cattle alike.

Something we don't have much of around here being desert.

Keeping the freeway traffic and noise up out of the way and

preserving the scenic valley seems like a good idea.

It is costing a fortune though, one contractor that started

the bridge backed out saying the elevation and strong wind is

just to dangerous to build a bridge like this.

Another contractor has taken over the job and with a little

different approach is building the bridge.

That center support you see in the picture is only being

used while the bridge is under construction and later

will be removed.

Wow; thanks for the info on Reno! I live in Bend, Oregon and this state is VERY biased against off roading. In the not too distant future; my wife and i are considering relocating. Redding California was one of the top considerations; and Reno was the other one. We have family in Henderson Nevada; but it's too hot for me there! Reno would be a nice compremise. Not too hot in the summer; and not too cold in the winter. Bend is like living in Alaska during the winter time. (Although this year has been very mild) Is Harry Reid REALLY an off roader?

-Ken (Mopartist)

Wow; thanks for the info on Reno! I live in Bend, Oregon and this state is VERY biased against off roading. In the not too distant future; my wife and i are considering relocating. Redding California was one of the top considerations; and Reno was the other one. We have family in Henderson Nevada; but it's too hot for me there! Reno would be a nice compremise. Not too hot in the summer; and not too cold in the winter. Bend is like living in Alaska during the winter time. (Although this year has been very mild) Is Harry Reid REALLY an off roader?

-Ken (Mopartist)

If your an off-roader you will love Reno! Most Californians call it Nevada's best kept secret.

We have tried to not make it another Vegas City and have succeeded very well even though gambling is allowed.

Its a great place to raise a family, not to big, not to small and the weather is great year round.

Snow capped mountains and sandy desert. I moved from Utah and never looked back.

We have hundreds of places to ride just out my back door.

Give me a yell if you make it out this way.