Quantcast

New to me 2008 Massimo MSU 500!

Good afternoon wanted to say hello I just picked up a nice 2008 MSU 500 for my kids/teens to drive around. Going to be scouring the forums and bugging a lot of people to get some hopefully easy questions answered. I keep getting told that a lot of the stuff/parts is interchangeable with rhino parts so hopefully that makes things easy if I need to replace items. Thanks for the warm welcome

aee815b96dc3bbb83b122262200d8412.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

mine as well as several others I have talked to , are plagued with constant overheating issues, resulting in blown headgaskets… and clutch/trans issues ..  Massimo admitted to me in email that these 500 and 700 HISUN engines were not good and they discontinued them, went to another Chinese Company  for engines .. But refuse to help any of us that were dumb enough to buy them.. I bought mine in 2018 new.. its been in shop 5 times , only has 300 miles.. I hope you have better luck. ….oh, and its in the shop right now.... HEAD GASKET 

• Like 1

Thanks I’ll keep an eye out. Only issues I know of with 380ish hours and 1300 miles is fuel gauge not working and the winch. It took a beating last weekend and climbed some decent inclines for what it is. Any chance a 700 engine would work? My ecu in the hood says 700-4.

mine as well as several others I have talked to , are plagued with constant overheating issues, resulting in blown headgaskets… and clutch/trans issues ..  Massimo admitted to me in email that these 500 and 700 HISUN engines were not good and they discontinued them, went to another Chinese Company  for engines .. But refuse to help any of us that were dumb enough to buy them.. I bought mine in 2018 new.. its been in shop 5 times , only has 300 miles.. I hope you have better luck. ….oh, and its in the shop right now.... HEAD GASKET 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hopefully the previous owner  got all the problems worked out before you bought it.. .. enjoy it ..When mine actually runs, its fun to drive.. problem has been ,its in 20 minute increments, then back to the shop.. now I m waiting on a new Cylinder head to replace the cracked one mine has ..

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By FTR
      Hello I know I started this topic before but I have lost it.  So here is the story, I bought this XLT 500 earlier this year it is was and still is in rough shape the ID plate is gone, faded paint, bad window, etc...  When I got it, it ran rough and the all of a sudden  it quit running.  So I started looking into it and found no spark.  No biggie changed plug, and coil, still nothing.  So went and replaced the coil wire, still nothing.  So I have gone pretty far now.  I have replaced the stator magneto, the voltage regulator, CDI, I do have the crank shaft position sensor but have never figured out where it goes have been told around the stator but have yet to find it.  Have chased wire out and still nothing.  At the coil I have one wire giving good voltage the other one nothing, and when you crank it the voltage goes all over the place.  So besides the key I have changed every part that has to do with the starting that I can find.  So information on what I am missing or doing wrong would be great, it acts like the kill switch on the brakes is stopping it from starting, however I have bypassed that to make sure that was not the problem and still nothing.  So aside of parking this thing in the back and letting it die a slow death I am at a loss on what to do next, Help!
    • By OviV
      Has anyone found aftermarket side mirrors that work with angled bars on the 800sx other than the super expensive factory ones?
    • By res2fr
      Hello All,

I am trying to find a Scanner that is works for a 2016 MSU500. I found the Tiny Scan TS301 that looks like a decent Scanner but so far have not been able to get confirmation that this works on and older model. It has been stated that it works on the 2019 and newer but not sure about older models. It appears that the ECM/ECU/EFI modules are likely interchangeable between a 2016 and the newer 2019 and on but not sure of the Scanner. I am waiting for feedback from Hisun on this issue right now.
       If this unit is not usable for my model year has anyone found and a Diagnostic Scanner for the older machines, one that works and is Affordable?
      Thanks for reading my post and any information that you may have to share,
      Robert
    • By Hisunsadman
      I have recently acquired a 2012 CFMOTO 500 CC side by side. The previous owner said that it ran great but had a gas leak by the throttle body that caught fire and ruined most of the parts on top. It also melted the cover and fan for the stator. Does anyone know of a good place to get all of these parts? I usually use Amazon for all my 2020 hisun parts, but can't really find the ones I need for this. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance
    • eManualOnline
    • By Josh Lounder
      I acquired an older HISUN BIG BUCK 500 that hasn't run in years.  Little elbow grease and she's running.  I have a few more parts to switch out but when revving the engine over 4K the r light starts blinking.  After googling and seeing other people I replaced the rev limit switch under the air box and found the same issue.  I traced the green and white stripe wire back to the computer module and found no breaks in the wire and cleaned the connectors.  Still same issue.  I then cut the wire right at the plug and grounded it directly to the battery.  I can now rev over 4k rpm however the light still blinks and when in reverse the light no longer lights up.  Anyone else run into this?  Can R light blinking mean something else.....HELP, what am i missing?????
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By RES
      Hello All,
       I got myself into a project with an MSU500 that I got after a dealership had done a teardown on part of the engine. The previous owner had been riding and it died. i was told the dealer said that whatever was wrong couldn't be fixed, parts not available. A bolt for the Starter Clutch had loosened and vibrated out destroying the Stator and shearing the Woodruff key.  I have replaced all of that and put the motor back together. My problem now is I'm a Carb. guy never touched an EFI machine and I am getting no gas to the motor. I have confirmed that there is No gas getting to the cylinder, it fires with starting fluid. The fuel pump is working, i have pressure to the Injector and power to the Black and White lead on the Injector and the same on the Red and white lead to the ECM/ECU. I have been reading and trying to understand some of the troubleshooting steps that I've found. I also have done the test with the Injector pulled out and put in a container and tried, not even a drop of fuel comes out. I have also tried with a New Injector installed with the same results.
         I know this is not a Simple system but any input, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

On a side note: This probably needs a new topic. but while i'm and this will sound foolish but. 
         Does anyone know where the Fuse Box is on a 2016 MSU500?? Believe me I've gone thru everything Under the hood. It is not in with or near the battery box as one manual says. Not one the firewall, inside out under the hood. I have spent hours working on both sides of the motor and Under it and I've not found it there. And after looking up a New Part for this I can't even find what are shown to be the correct Leads from the wiring harness to Plug into the unit.
      I thank you All in advance for any suggestions or info that you might be able and willing to provide,

Robert

• By FrankXR
      I have recently acquired a Massimo MSU 500.  When driving and taking a fairly sharp turn while giving it a little gas it tends to tear the grass out on the right rear.  It seems the rolling resistance is real high when turning.  It can be seen on gravel when turning as the rear wheels will dig in quite a bit if turning and give it a little gas to get it moving .  It definitely does not roll easily. Is this normal?  Is possible that the transfer case or the locks could be stuck.  The previous owner seemed to primarily use the UTV in 4x4 mode lock for plowing I believe.   the machine has very low miles something like 150 miles only.  
      Second question.  I am doing some service on engine air cleaner.  the filter I have has a large  screw in the top of it that retains the foam covering.  Question is:  Is this screw removable?  any tricks?  Is it red lock tighted?   I have used a large screw driver and a lot of torque  but it does not budge.   Should I just stretch the foam over the foam capture rings for so I  can wash and clean?  
    • By cwikscan
      When I start my Massimo MSU500 with cold engine and start off in L gear I hear a loud bang or snap and then it goes.  Doesn't do it once engine is warmed up.  Is idle too high or is  cold idle controlled by CPU?  I couldn't find any help on Youtube.  Maybe shift linkage?  I would greatly appreciate any input.  Thanks, I am new to the group and appreciate this forum.
      Vince

• By Sgriger534
      I have a MSU 500 and sometimes it acts sluggish in 4x4 and you can smell hot gear oil. 
      I'm Thinking it is something binding up the the transfer case or front differential but before I dig into it I wanted to see if anybody had a similar problem.

Thanks, 
    • By Jim Sabin
      I have a 2012 MSU 500 that recently was having an issue with the motor not starting,  I ended up reworking the ground wire at the fuel pump leads and now I have notice that when I switch to 4Wheel drive, it does not work. Any ideals what going on?
  • Gallery Images