Quantcast

new to massimo buck 400

Mackc

Hello, I'm back from Kawasaki  2004 3110 Mule land and now am struggling thru the Massimo Buck 400 swamp.  I bought a 2019 Buck 400 with 200 hours on it and am going thru the owner's manual. I have noticed a couple of things needing addressed after driving it home.  I t is rough starting off, like maybe the drive clutches and or belt are not exactly right. also the parking brake is a question mark.  The manual shows (seems to me) that pulling the handle down should disengage the parking brake, not this one,  pulling up disengages the parking brake, also the handle is really hard to move while holding the super strong button.  The handle will only go down a smidgining past half way.  Do I need to work on this?  This old man will ask for help in a NY minute! please stand at ease, I' will be in the area.

Actually that was 200 MILES and only 22 Hours.

Edited by Mackc
correct an error

@Mackc How jerky is it starting off?  My 2020 was smooth brand new and within 50 miles developed  a jerk when starting out but only really noticeable when the unit is on a cold start.  After a few minutes the transmission smooths out.  I haven’t pulled the belt to verify wear but as it’s primarily an issue when cold I’ve assumed that’s probably normal.

My parking brake is the same as yours.  Up is released and down is set.  As long as it is completely setting(holding the machine) when halfway down and completely released when up it sounds to be adjusted properly.

4 hours ago, dweaver said:

@Mackc How jerky is it starting off?  My 2020 was smooth brand new and within 50 miles developed  a jerk when starting out but only really noticeable when the unit is on a cold start.  After a few minutes the transmission smooths out.  I haven’t pulled the belt to verify wear but as it’s primarily an issue when cold I’ve assumed that’s probably normal.

My parking brake is the same as yours.  Up is released and down is set.  As long as it is completely setting(holding the machine) when halfway down and completely released when up it sounds to be adjusted properly.

Good news about the cold start being jerky,  I had seen the buck 400 here at a distant neighbors place when he bought it at TSC, also in a few months his twin sister next door also bought one after they moved here from out of state.  Both of the Buck 400 have been used daily without problems, I

I bought the one  from the guy (distant neighbor) for what I saw as a good price, I didn't have to drive 100 miles to pick it up or wait until TSC got a any available nor have to pay sales tax on it. 

It has 200 miles on it and is only 1 year old, his wife didn't like the noise, they used the money to buy a, older used gas powered Club Car

One thing is for sure, Websites on Dot com always look really great......Then we check out the real world on UTVBoard forums. 

On 9/20/2020 at 9:48 AM, Joe Breaux said:

my condolences on buying anything Massimo.. we have all been thru the nightmare that is Massimo  Motors problems.. Mine has been in the shop 6 times just this year.. Only one shop in my entire state will even work on them.. and Massimo wont cover warranty at all

On 9/20/2020 at 9:48 AM, Joe Breaux said:

my condolences on buying anything Massimo.. we have all been thru the nightmare that is Massimo  Motors problems.. Mine has been in the shop 6 times just this year.. Only one shop in my entire state will even work on them.. and Massimo wont cover warranty at all

Thanks for the condolences! BTW I worked in New Iberia  as a Resource Manager Analyst for Halliburton back in the 1980s and 1990s

I noticed in the manual that 10 W40 motor oil is recommended, but having a wet clutch isn't a special oil like for motorcycles needed what oil should be used also with no spin  on oil filter. I have Quaker State   30wt that I use in my riding mowers. Is it okay for the Massimo Buck 400 S?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had awhile to get familar with the Buck 400, due to my physical disability I can't crawl under to do a proper oil change etc., etc. but I did make do with a oil change pump to drain the old oil. I fond a service manual here from a member and appreciate it. The engineering of the engine and running gear is really strange and foreign to me, I was brought up on Model A Fords and Chevrolet six engines, Harley Davidson, John Deere and vehicles and B&S and these Asian built stuff is alien science to me  It has more bells and whistles than I expected,  but it is just how modern machinery appears to be.

The machine seems to be doing just what it is supposed to do, start up instantly, do it's job and when it is shut down it is ready to go again when needed.

I know that most of the folks that come here have an issue with their machine.  We need to realize that the bad stuff we see that is noted hert isn't a reflection of all the machines that are sold and giving quality services.  I am a forum rat for several things, guns, cars and DIY, It is the same story, If you rate the usefulness of the items on the forums one would think everyone has only problems.  It is too bad that those folks that never have special problems don't come on forums and tell their story, but as has been said "The squeaky axle is the one that gets all the attention.