Quantcast

First, understand that my T-boss 410 doesn't move very often, since I don't yet have a trailer and no trails nearby. So I occasionally go out and start it, let it idle, and take a ride around my property. This time, the battery was all but dead, so I put it on a charger. It showed a full charge after a few hours, so I reinstalled it in the UTV, and attempted to start it again. It acted as though it was almost dead, as before. I hooked up the charger and jump started it, which took several tries. It's the stock battery, but the unit only has 14.5 hours on it. I purchased it in an auction on Ebay back in December of last year. It was a floor model. Everything seems in good working order. Could I have a bad cell in the battery? How can I test for that?

Thanks!

Do you have a multimeter? if so

Set it DC 20 volts, attach the leads to  + and -, take note of the voltage, turn the key to START, take note of the voltage, if it drops below about 10.5 volts, 99% of the time bad battery. Auto parts stores like O'rielly's will load test batteries for FREE.

Thanks, I will try that. I am aware of the auto parts stores testing a battery for free, I am just trying to avoid going out as much as possible. The COVID 19 infection here is really high currently. I also feel sort of beholding to the parts store to purchase a new battery there. 

This battery is a 335CCA unit. I would think it would spin the motor easily. 

25.5 hp. I would think that if the battery was in good condition, it would have no problem spinning the engine over, especially since it's a higher rated CCA than the OEM battery. 

That ought to be more than enough battery for that engine.

I'm leaning towards a bad cell, since you said it showed full charge then nothing when you went start it.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm trying to research a way to rejuvenate the cell, or if I can't do that, then renew the battery. I see plenty of ways on the internet, but some seem so outrageous that I just stopped searching, at least for the time being. 

Would a battery for a lawn tractor work? They seem to be much more affordable than one specific to powersports. 

5 hours ago, T-boss 410 said:

I was thinking the same thing. I'm trying to research a way to rejuvenate the cell, or if I can't do that, then renew the battery. I see plenty of ways on the internet, but some seem so outrageous that I just stopped searching, at least for the time being. 

Would a battery for a lawn tractor work? They seem to be much more affordable than one specific to powersports. 

as long as you get the correct CCA i don't see why not.

16 minutes ago, KentC said:

I would first check the water in the cells. 

Oooh, do that first  T-boss, that completely slipped my mind.

On 11/11/2020 at 5:46 PM, T-boss 410 said:

Thanks, I will try that. I am aware of the auto parts stores testing a battery for free, I am just trying to avoid going out as much as possible. The COVID 19 infection here is really high currently. I also feel sort of beholding to the parts store to purchase a new battery there. 

This battery is a 335CCA unit. I would think it would spin the motor easily. 

I ordered a battery of the right size and amps from Amazon. It is more likely you have a battery with a bad cell, one of these gave me a problem for two days, it caused me to tear down the body to get to the starter because my new tech battery charger gave a full battery reading but the starter acted like it was dragging. I had checked the battery for voltage with a multimeter, but finally hooked it up to a battery tester (One that can add a heavy load).  It showed under load only 6 volts. A new battery fixed the problem.

A Harbor Freight battery tester probably costs less than a 40 mile trip to WallyWorld (that is how far I am from a big town with a wallyWorld or a McDonalds.  Out here in the Boonies the RFD mail carrier delivers what Fedex or UPS don't. Then you don't have to wonder about that battery.

I have this one from Amazon

61feCaOWBfL._AC_SL1100_.jpg
Schumacher BT-100 100A Battery Load Tester and Voltmeter

Well, hooked up a load tester. It showed 12 volts before the load was applied. Once I applied the load, the needle fell almost as fast as it would if I was disconnecting the tester. Fell like a rock! Guess I'm in need of a new battery!

• Like 1