Quantcast

2016 ODES DOMINATOR X4 wont start

My dominator will not start. I have checked and charged the battery. It runs all the lights at full brightness and all other electrical systems perfectly well (e.g. winch).  When I attempted to start the UTV, I hear a clicking noise underneath the battery but no other sound. 

My guess is that either the break or gear "start" solenoid is stuck. I noticed that the UTV will only start when the break is pressed and it is in park. If the solenoid that triggers either of these is stuck, that would explain no starting. Or, the starter is dead?

Any thoughts?

with a click that implies the starter solenoid is getting power. it's just not able to pass it through, 99% of the time its a faulty solenoid that needs replaced.

next thing to do would be check battery voltage, at  the battery and at the solenoid and be sure they're the same reading.

Yea, that makes sense.  I haven't been able to find much information about the motor or UTV in general. Is there a manual/reference for the motor in that UTV? I found the UTV manual but all it says is "see dealer." This problem is fairly trivial to fix if it's just a solenoid replacement.

The brake and "park" interlocks (if present) are most likely to be just switches wired in series with the "start"position of the ignition switch--as there is relatively little power required to activate the starter solenoid (a fancy word for relay) it would make no sense to use additional solenoids for those safety devices.

The first thing I would check would be the voltage across the battery terminal clamps, not the battery posts,  but the cable clamps while attempting to crank the engine.

If the starter solenoid clicks and the observed voltage does not drop to 10.6 V or so then then it is probable the starter solenoid is bad--but don't rule out wiring or connections in the main supply to the starter motor just yet. If the voltage does drop to 10.6 V or so then the starter solenoid is good and  the starter nay be seized up or otherwise bad.

To check the main supply path to the starter measure the voltage between the positive battery post (post, not cable clamp) and the positive terminal stud on the starter--while attempting to crank the motor.

In an ideal world it would be 0.0 V, however in our world 0.1 to 0.25 V would be normal. If more than 0.5 V then there is a bad wire, connection, or some other component in the path 'tween the battery and the starter. Next measure voltage between the battery + post and the next connection "back" from the starter (likely the starter solenoid output terminal)--while attempting to crank the motor. Is that 0.1 o 0.25 V? If it is then the wire between the solenoid output and the starter is bad (corroded or loose terminal or ???).

If not measure between the battery +post and the starter solenoid input post (again while cranking). If that is low (0.1 to 0.25 V) then the solenoid primary contacts are bad--replace the solenoid. If high (>0.5 V) the cable from the battery to the starter solenoid is bad--OR-next measure between the battery + post and cable clamp. If high (>0.5 V) than the cable clamp/battery connection is bad.

Or just disconnect, clean, and reconnect each connection between the battery and starter motor--don't just look at them to see if they "look OK", take them apart and clean them, reconect with a dose og dielectric grease (or any grease you have on hand--even Vaseline from the bedside table will work!).

18 minutes ago, Ryan Knuth said:

Thanks, that's super helpful. I was able to deduce that the starter is bad. Now onto another question: how does one find the starter?

Which measurement brought you there?  Mostly curious, however we might be able to validate your conclusion...

Follow the heavy wire from the battery + post, to the starter solenoid, then from the solenoid to the starter...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By dalem
      Earlier this year my battery was weak and I had to boost my mule to start it then I decided to remove the battery to check the fluid level which was very low, I set the levels and recharged the battery a few months later it did the same thing, so I had to boost it again then checked the voltage running was getting around 16 vdc ( which is too high) and fluid level was very low again and wouldn't hold a charge. Note: The battery was maybe 1-1/2 years old. Then I replaced the battery and checked the voltage running nothing changed I was only reading battery voltage it wouldn't increase with increased engine speed. I changed the voltage regulator with an aftermarket  one, same thing not charging. I checked the alternator per the service manual which states .3 ohms or less it checks at .2 ohms and not shorted to ground. With the engine running I disconnected the alternator and it had around 22 vac idling and around 60 vac revving the engine, so I figured the regulator was bad so I replaced it with another new one (aftermarket) from a different company, again not charging only reading  battery voltage. I did put the original voltage regulator on nothing changed still not charging. Using the manual wiring diagram did continuity checks going to the voltage regulator everything checks out OK. Now what am I missing?
    • By Swampdonkey
      2017 msu500 efi. Has spark and fuel. Valves are within clearances.  Leave key on I get a 118 code. Ect sensor? Could this keep it from starting
      Old plug was black
    • By JohnnyB
      My Massimo 500 will not start. I’ve checked all the obvious things. It turns over just fine. fuel, spark, fuse box are all good. I can’t figure it out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    • By lakeofthewoods
      Hi I have a 2008 Joyner Renegade that died and will not re start It had been sitting for about 2 months while I waited for a new rear diff and then finally found time to work on it. It started OK after I filled it with gas and charged the battery. It started and ran for about 5 minutes and died I pulled the outlet line off the fuel pump and am getting lots of fuel the engine It has electrical power to all circuits as near as I can tell. Any schematics I have found are microscopic and when you expand them they are written in Chinese. I found one fuse box at the right front frame Who knows what the fuses are for They are not identified on the panel or cover. I replaced one fuse and all others were good I found some fuses and 3 relays tied up behind the battery Switched relays around and made no difference. There is a huge 40 amp fuse in line I cleaned the corrosion off the terminals on it. I still have the same issue It is cranking over, has fuel delivery to the engine but is not firing
      Is there another relay/fuse panel I am missing? Does the system use a TPS and or crankshaft position sensor that could be the culprit?
      Does anyone know of an on line service manual for this beast
      Thanks for any assistance
    • By Hisunsadman
      Last October we were sitting at an idle on a Sunday morning and it died for the first time since we time since we bought it new I've already sent it to the shop because it's under warranty after trying to fix it. New fuel injector new spark plug couldn't do a compression check because I couldn't find anything to fit it but now that it's at the shop I have a feeling that the exhaust valves tighten themselves up and they are not closing anybody ever have this problem?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Odesrider 800
      Hey everyone I bought a used 2016 Odes Dominator 800 x4.. my first impressions aren’t bad.. the engine seems solid, when I bought it it hadn’t been fired up in 8 months so it needed a new battery, once I had a new battery installed it fired right up, and to my surprise everything works, all electrical components dump bed, wench, etc.. 
      However, I took it for a spin for the first time today and first thing i noticed was how stiff the steering was.. I’m beginning to think my power steering might be toast .. breaks are also toast, along with wheel bearings.
      Has anyone any troubles with their power steering and/or found issues with the steering that didnt necessarily require a new power steering Kit?
    • By Barry E Spires
      I have an issue with my odes. It will start up and run but when you give it gas it stumbles and cuts off. I have replaced the fuel pump,fuel filter, fuel injectors, mass air flow sensor,idle air control,throttle position sensor,air filter,spark plugs,and throttle body also I have no vacuum leaks either. I have even replaced the ECU. Does anyone have any idea about what could be wrong? Engine only has 1045 miles on it
    • By miten000
      Hey guys...I have a 2015 ODES Dominator X4 800cc...I had recently tore the belt up and was able to get a new one on and had no problems.  The other day I got stuck and smoked the clutch out a bit trying to get out and since that time I have had a constant "clicking" noise coming from the primary clutch.  Then noise is present at idle and low speeds but goes away under load.  I took the clutch apart and assume that this noise is coming from either the clutch sliders/weights or shoes.  I plan on replacing these soon.  
      However, today I put the clutch back together to get the bus out there and ride around the neighborhood and I have a "jolty" start and while cruising in "H" the secondary clutch suddenly opens wide and I lose power.  When revved the secondary clutch will not grab and continues to open.  I can place the UTV back into "N' and then back to "H"...the secondary clutch stops spinning and the belt grabs as normal and I can continue on.  Anyone have any idea what is going on or have experienced similar problems?
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bR6kVo2QsB6e6G6NK3jWjAoQpJCmeyVf/view?usp=sharing
      ODES clutch problems.mov
    • By Jeremiah1981
      Anyone have wiring diagrams for a 2013 dominator 800? I bought one at an auction that had some wires burned up.  There's a 9 pin connector that completely burned up so I'm trying to match the wires back up and they aren't the same colors on each side.  I believe it's the engine interface connector.
      A wiring diagram or pics of that connector would be awesome. Any help would be appreciated.

• By Kirk Falk
      Hello,
      I have a 2018 Dominator LT 1000 and I am wanting to stiffen up the ride.  What is the best way to accomplish this, tighten the recoil spring up or add air to the shock.  I can't find any information on the procedure.  Also, since im asking questions........my top end rpms doesnt seem to be where it should be.  Max RPM is 6100 and usually drops down to 5800 maxed out.  Im just wondering if everyone else has the same experience.
      Thanks,
      Kirk Falk