Quantcast

Squeaks!

rocmoc

Yes i squeak after my 100km ride in the bush and also it is very dry here, I havent looked into it but it sounds like its coming from the rear swing arms.

I was hoping that when I gave the trooper her first service it would go away. Very annoying isnt it, i hate and rattles or out of place noises.

There are a number of points to add greese fittings that help dried out joints. All ball joints in front , steering box, rear main trailing arm pivot points, rear to axel spindle assembly pivots, and of coarse hinge points like rear deck hinge bar and sleeves should be oiled now and then. Another thing I did was to seal my front A-arms heims joints to keep out dirt and keep in greese.

Refer to these past threads:

Front ball joints need checking.

Lube rack and pinion steering.

Front axel axel ball joints, adding grese fittings.

rear suspension arm and hub pivot points.

rocmoc, I suspect you have done most if not all of these things. I also took my pedal assembly apart and added poly bushings which got rid of squeaks and rattles.

Lenny

I guess if you know it's there it stands out more. You can hear it quite clear between 27 - 32 sec., 37 - 39 sec., 55 - 1.25 sec., 2.01 - 2.07 sec., 2.21 - 2.30 sec. and 2.40 - 2.42 sec. If you can be bothered. It's not that entertaining but if the noise does sound familiar, that could be your fix by just pulling the tab away from the offending metal plate.

Cheers Mike.

My trailing arms have zerk fittings for the front pivot bushings

An upgrade of the newer machines. I don't have any grease fittings and have not found any holes to add some. I will scrape some paint as recommended and see if I can find something hidden. Remember I have one of the first 50 Troopers.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

An upgrade of the newer machines. I don't have any grease fittings and have not found any holes to add some. I will scrape some paint as recommended and see if I can find something hidden. Remember I have one of the first 50 Troopers.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Well its stupid they placed the zerks on the bottom of the bushing, great place for something th fly up and hit it. I think if you install them you should install them on the top side

• 1 month later...

Althought it's a little late to add a comment I'll go ahead anyway. My T-4 Trooper developed squeaks right after purchase. I'd spray silicone on the shocks and mounting locations, grease the trailing arms, anything I could think of. After about a week of this nonsense, it finally dawned on me , at least in my case, that the spring preload was set too tight and that the spring coils were rubbing together combining with the dust and making all the noise. Just turned them back about two turns and the noise was gone forever. Hope this help someone.

Dennis

Althought it's a little late to add a comment I'll go ahead anyway. My T-4 Trooper developed squeaks right after purchase. I'd spray silicone on the shocks and mounting locations, grease the trailing arms, anything I could think of. After about a week of this nonsense, it finally dawned on me , at least in my case, that the spring preload was set too tight and that the spring coils were rubbing together combining with the dust and making all the noise. Just turned them back about two turns and the noise was gone forever. Hope this help someone.

Dennis

which springs? front or rear or both?

Only on the rears. All the noise disappeared after turning the adjusters back about two turns. If you look at the springs the coils are turned down too tight and after a while I think the paint between them rubs away and then your left with metal to metal contact.

Even after eliminating the noise problem I still wasn't happy with the ride in Arizona terrain, so I broke down and purchased a set of King shocks, no comparison, what a difference, a little pricy but worth every penny. Now I've just got to get rid of those stock tires, maybe some radials?

Even after eliminating the noise problem I still wasn't happy with the ride in Arizona terrain, so I broke down and purchased a set of King shocks, no comparison, what a difference, a little pricy but worth every penny. Now I've just got to get rid of those stock tires, maybe some radials?

Thanks and may I suggest General Grabber AT2, I think mine are great.2235465430104282158ydwhSe_th.jpg

Only on the rears. All the noise disappeared after turning the adjusters back about two turns. If you look at the springs the coils are turned down too tight and after a while I think the paint between them rubs away and then your left with metal to metal contact.

Please share the spec info on your shocks!

Thanks,

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico/CA

The shocks specifically for T-4 or T-2 can be purchased thru McCoy Motorsports or Buggy World. Although Buggy World is a little more expensive, that's where mine were purchased. They're about 150 miles from my primary residence so I drove down and picked them up, you know a bird in the hand and all that. Also, I thought that Buggy World would have more experience in the desert, where I ride, as opposed to McCoy who is located somewhere in the southeast. Little different terrain.

As for the specifications, I think these guys are trying to keep it a secret because I contacted other King dealers with no luck. If you like I can read the info off the shock and get back to you when I return to Arizona sometime next week.

Bye the way I've lurked around the site for a while and have really gotten some good info from you guys. You know, I had to go out and purchase replacement shocks to get a decent ride and you guys are making them. But I've got to admit mine rides like a Cadallic now.

• 1 year later...