Quantcast

Rust fix idea...

Travis
Go to solution Solved by kenfain,

I'm getting a small area of rust starting behind each front wheel, (where the cow pies get slung). I'm pleased with the job POR15 did in the bed, so i will just repeat the process in that area. however, i'm not sure how POR15 will hold up to cow crap getting slung on it.. and my reasoning  is Cow poo is somewhat acidic, and when left too long with out cleaning off, starts to lift paint, so i don't know how that will affect POR15. what i'm thinking of doing getting steel sheeting with aluminum finish, or a stainless steel sheet  and bend it and fit it to the inside of the wheel well to form somewhat of a "splash/splatter" guard  to protect the actual frame and sheet metal from further corrosion as well as were I ....there are several places where i could tack weld it to the frame underneath...

• Like 1

Don't use the over the counter junk. It's not any better than paint. Gotta use the good stuff for anything that'll last. Unfortunately, you can't spray that stuff with a regular spray gun. So you need to have the gun too, if you're planning on doing it yourself.

I'd bet that some of it can probably be rolled on though. 

• Like 1

i did find this from POR15  (https://por15.com/products/top-coat)as well, it's a top coat made to go over the actual rust preventer/sealer that's supposed to have a tougher skin/finish to it than regular POR15 to protect it....

it seems any GOOD bedliner that i could roll on, comes in at least gallon and is about $70-$100... i really can't justify doing that right now. i guess really i just need something that dries hard and is durable to  help protect the POR15.

7 hours ago, Travis said:

i did find this from POR15  (https://por15.com/products/top-coat)as well, it's a top coat made to go over the actual rust preventer/sealer that's supposed to have a tougher skin/finish to it than regular POR15 to protect it....

it seems any GOOD bedliner that i could roll on, comes in at least gallon and is about $70-$100... i really can't justify doing that right now. i guess really i just need something that dries hard and is durable to  help protect the POR15.

you might try a rattle can of spray UNDERCOATING .   its only about $3 , and its pretty tough 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 7:07 PM, kenfain said:

Don't use the over the counter junk. It's not any better than paint. Gotta use the good stuff for anything that'll last. Unfortunately, you can't spray that stuff with a regular spray gun. So you need to have the gun too, if you're planning on doing it yourself.

I'd bet that some of it can probably be rolled on though. 

Well looks like i don't have to worry about getting bedliner now, my neighbor up the road has a little over   a 1/2 gallon of Herculiner left over from some Truck projects a few months ago , after watching several YT videos it looks like good tough stuff. Looks like it's designed  to roll on.

Like this,

https://www.amazon.com/Herculiner-HCL1B8-Brush-Bed-Liner/dp/B0002TDUW4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=herculiner&qid=1641304510&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVTVDNTIwUTNXM0Y3JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUFaUDZYUFFFRUZHNlcmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDY5OTI0NDM0SlVSQVFISzlaUzcmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Got the POR15 on. its drying now. I started this morning around 9, applying the metal prep and cleaner. the metal prep(I applied and let it soak for about 2 hours) did a good job of taking off the flaky rust and getting it to solid metal, with some help from my wire brush of course..

i will wait at least 24 hours before applying the bedliner to let the POR15 do its thing and cure fully.

• 8 months later...