Quantcast

Front Drive Shaft & 4 Wheel Drive Operation Questions

utvinwv

Well it finally happened...lol. Something broke! To be more a little more specific the front driveshaft twisted in two pieces while leaving a mud hole. Also took out some plastic panels on the left side of the gear shift. All in all not to big of a deal however I did get to tell the weakest link in this scenario goodbye. So I was wondering if anyone could help me on determining if the front diveshaft should turn all the time or if only when the 4 wheel drive is engaged...as I think i may have a problem with the electric selector. I hope to have the video up soon if anyone would be interested in seeing how it was broke...but on to a more important note! I should have pictures of the damage up soon!

Any thoughts on a snorkel system...Something with an air box surrounding in would be nice!

Has anyone had stronger driveshafts made for these yet or am I the only one that breaks these things...lol?

Thanks for any help in advance and I guess we live and learn where to play and not to play...lol!

I had some Shop Vac hose and tubes laying around and decided to try something and look what I did. I'm not too sure if I'm finished with it yet, but what I have will do the trick, if you want the filter above the bar, you'll need to use more of the hose or add another tube and maybe another support. My support is bungy cord, seen best in photo 20081020_7. I started the engine and revved it up a few times, but couldn't hear anything from the filter. I like it!!

2261773910104110397ZTItcW_th.jpg 2884155420104110397fCkKcQ_th.jpg

All my photos are at http://community.webshots.com/user/kinarfi :rolleyes:

I would recommend the VT2507 7' Hose and the VT2508 Extension Wand, stick the pliable end of the hose into the wand, mount filter on other end of the wand and cut the hose to length, it's easy to cut twice to get the length you need and very hard to uncut. :lol:

http://www.ridgidparts.com/accessories/vacacc.phtml

http://www.ridgidparts.com/accessories/VT2507.phtml HOPE These Links Work.

http://www.ridgidparts.com/accessories/VT2508.phtml

This is working good for me and it doesn't look too bad or cost too much.

I would like to see so pictures of your drive line, any idea of what caused it to break?

Kinarfi

What part of WV are you in??? I have been checking the Troopers out on the internet, but can't find anyone close to go look one over. I live up in the panhandle in New Martinsville and would like to come and check yours out.

Well thanks for the interest in the buggy and I live in Mingo County to be more specific a little town called Varney. I'm not sure how far that would be from you but anytime you want to make the drive your more than welcome to check it out...well after I get it fixed...LOL. Don't let the break scare you from getting one of these though they are excellent and if I had more sense I wouldn't have broken mine in the first place...I'll check how far it is to you and me and the wife may come your way if you know somewhere to ride...gottalove getting out of the house on weekends!

I'm not exacly sure why it broke I was hopeing to get the video of it to see if I could tell when it happened! Maybe someone will stick it on YouTube soon...LOL.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Robert B
      Going down a 20 deg hill engine is holding UTV back. Then something releases like going into Neutral and makes a loud clacking noise. Have to use brake to slow UTV down. Then once level it shifts back into gear. Have done shift extension does not pop out of gear.
    • By AlphaSerenity
      Hello,
      Before I invest $10k+ into a brand new UTV for the farm, I want to get my feet wet with a fixer upper and learn the mechanical side of things. I acquired a 2022 Hisun Axis 500 (Lowes-specific model) from an auction for $500. It has only 200 hours and 120 miles on the engine. It looks like the previous owner used it for ranch work and didn't drive it on trails, deep water/mud, or anything too crazy.
      While it runs and moves, it has some problems. It struggles to accelerate up any incline in high and low range and sometimes stalls when I let off of the throttle or change gears. When I apply throttle in neutral, it sounds like it is struggling for fuel/air and pops. When I decelerate, there is a grinding sound coming from the clutch, which I've read to be related to the one way bearing and is semi-common. The last thing I've observed is sometimes the speedometer display sometimes will show a much higher value for a few seconds after barely touching the throttle. Based on the documentation, if a problem is detected from the sensors, the instrument panel display should have an error code rendered on the screen in place of the time, but this isn't happening. Here is a video showing some of these issues (engine is exposed with console removed):
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFAkO5TaGps

Here is another video of the clutches in action:

I've done some research, but information on this specific unit and sister units is limited. There does seem to be transmission and clutch issues reported. I still need to check into the head gaskets. I don't have the equipment to test compression right now, but I do plan on ordering what is needed soon. I do have an order in place for some cables to read the diagnostics from the computer. There is a shop two hours away from me that works on Hisun products, but I am hoping the problem can be identified and is something within my ability to handle. Below is what I've already investigated.  I am leaning towards the primary clutch needing replacement right now.
      After getting it home and unloaded, I did the following maintenance/checks to it prior to operating it further:
      Changed the engine/clutch oil (and filter) and gear oils using manufacture recommended viscosity Changed the air filter and checked for cracks in the air intake flow. Verified good suction. Cleaned the throttle body Changed the spark plug and verified the gap was within spec (0.6-0.7mm) Changed the coil and coil wire Changed the fuel lines, fuel injector, and verified the fuel pump was outputting the correct initial prime pressure for ignition and continuous pressure after ignition. Also completely emptied the fuel tank and made sure octane 91+ fuel is being used per manufacturer specs. Ran seafoam through system too. Cleaned the spark arrester and verified no cracks or gaps in the exhaust flow Changed out the O2 sensor Checked all wired connections to ensure they were secured and no breaks were visible Checked the belt for tightness and for any signs of wear and tear Verified 4WD and the differential lock function as expected - still hesitates and struggles uphill Verified the fan gears in the shifter are not corroded and working as expected ECU was reset after replacing sensors and fuel-related parts  

Thanks!
    • By Bryan g
      We see a lot of the UT400 with shift problems, not going into gear, popping out of gear, grinding etc. There  is a bulletin Im sure everyone has saw about adjusting shift cable.  That dont always fix it.  I went round n round with coleman  on couple units. We are a Coleman warranty repair center"AFS Small Engine Repair "   I told them shift lever does not have enough travel .  No amount of cable adjustment  will increase travel . I  extended lever with piece on flat  iron by 3/4 of inch .  This gave shifter enough travel to properly engage into gear completely .  Last couple units to come in for this Coleman sent me a modified shift lever, with longer travel . Problem solved! Also , heads up if you get any new unit ,,,go over and check it out,  grease  all zerks, check air filter for being in backwards, check wiring harnesses for rubbing on rotating parts,  brake hose  routing , make sure not touching exhaust .  These are just  few of the more common failures I see .
    • By trevor
      my hisun 400 has ben leaking oil out of a small metal tube on the bottom near the oil filter. Got the side by side given to me after been sitting for a couple years  but 2 quarts in nothing happened my buddy went and worked on it and put another quart in it. i thought it just pushed out what it didn't need. but its dry as a bone inside. does have a good clatter coming from the top end as well, with oil in it. looking for some help not much on the internet about these things.
    • By NicholasNWM09
      Hello Everyone,
      COOL NEW Product Alert! 
      A company called NEW Wire Marine or NEW Wire has Badass custom panels for UTV, Buggy/Hunting trucks. From Fully wired switch panels with laser etched rockers with backlights in 5 different colors, to just parts like voltmeters, phone, USB and 12 v chargers. Rockers can be printed, or custom laser etched rockers and they even have sleek labeled pushbuttons. They are a first-class company with a great knowledgeable staff and outstanding customer service. Switches are based on 12v or 24v circuits and they also have marine grade wire and connectors, which is perfect for waterproofing your system!
      Go check them out!
      Check out the websites : https://newwiremarine.com/ and https://rockerswitchpros.com