Quantcast

clearance changes for big tires

Guest Lenny

Guest Lenny

I've posted some pics of the changes I made to get the proper clearance for my 31x10.5x15 tires. If you study the pics, you can see the cuts I made and how I pushed back the firewall. I allowed enough clearance to also clear my 13.5 x 15 paddle tires. I presently have my front fenders removed, figured the tire would remove them otherwise. Need to remove the rears also. Clipped them a couple times and now have cracks. They are comming off soon. Eventually will make new fibreglass fenders. There are several pick with the one below being the start.

2943778670104282158vRrqOh_th.jpg

Lenny

WOW looks good ........ and involved. how did you deal with the plastic rocker panels? was it necessary to take out that much for just the 31's or did you take a bit extra for the sand tires? how close is the clutch pedal now?

sorry 'bout the 20 questions but it might be my next step. anyhow it looks good.

Kevin

Looks bloody good Lenny. If I was you though, Id be pretty keen to get cracking on those new fenders. The reason being containing debris but more importantly with those bigger tires stopping small rocks becoming small bullets. I reckon if Kevin can tempt you up to Red Deer to do the same to his Trooper, he would hold on to his Mattracks.

Cheers Mike.

Guest Lenny

Thanks guys, Yes, it is a little involved. I did allow for the 33" dia paddle tires and the clutch pedal did hit. I contoured the pedal arm to fit the new firewall contour. I've got to do a little more to the pedal yet so when I have it out, I'll take pics. I cut the plastic rocker panels and used a heat gun to heat them enough to re-roll the end in. You'll see that I did have to cut the corners it order to make the bend. I screwed up on the the little mount tab you see in the middle of the new rolled area. I should have just rolled it under too and anchored differently. Looks a little redneck. Too late now.

Lenny

Looks great! So are you going to start posting a options offering with prices? Your shocks are prettier than mine. Where/how do you find the time? I am barely gong to have time to be ready with what I have.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Lenny's just hyper, can't sit still, and is intrigued with changing stuff. :rolleyes::P:lol::D Almost forgot, finicky, too. Does great work and great to work with.

Kinarfi B)

IMHO anything bigger than the 31's is inviting trouble. The possibility of breakage climbs geometrically as the tire's size & width increases. You definitely will find the weak spot in the drivetrain! Also 1st gear becomes worthless as a crawling/granny gear. It will be like driving your car off-road. Again IMHO!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Guest Lenny

I agree with rocmoc, 31s are it. Any bigger and you will be going the other way and be thinking smaller. Any wider then 10.5 and turning will be all but impossible except in the sand dunes where turning tight and with tires up against rocks won't be an issue. Those at the jamboree will get a chance to see what we mean.

Lenny

I suppose I should say that the only way I would go that big is if Joyner comes out with the lower gear set or Lenny can make his planetary setup. Im not worried about width for turning unless you mean that the tires will hit the trooper.

Kevin

We don't have any of that white stuff around us. Yes if you are looking at running in the snow, slipping would relieve driveline stress until you hit something with traction. Of course that is a problem everyone has to be aware of even in a dry environment.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I don't live at the north pole :D I only get snow for 3 months of the year the rest of the time I'm playing in mud and riding trails, I want bigger tires for flotation. there is a line when you have lots of surface area you actually get less traction depending on your weight. I learned this with the tracks when I tried to pull a rhino in the winter. I just spun and slipped but then we hooked a rhino on instead he could do much better, with the tires he could "chew" better. the same goes for hills in the summertime i could go up them no problem but i would spin some where as a rhino wouldn't. I'm not saying that would be the case with 14" wide treads but you never know. My tracks definitively have way more flotation than any tire but the driveability on trails isn't there you need to go slow over obstacles like rocks and trees. that and the overall width is an extra 8". Anyhow with planetarys on the wheels that were a 3:1 ratio you would be putting way less stress on the drive line so to me tire size wouldn't matter especially with the power steering.

Kevin

I don't live at the north pole :D I only get snow for 3 months of the year the rest of the time I'm playing in mud and riding trails, I want bigger tires for flotation. there is a line when you have lots of surface area you actually get less traction depending on your weight. I learned this with the tracks when I tried to pull a rhino in the winter. I just spun and slipped but then we hooked a rhino on instead he could do much better, with the tires he could "chew" better. the same goes for hills in the summertime i could go up them no problem but i would spin some where as a rhino wouldn't. I'm not saying that would be the case with 14" wide treads but you never know. My tracks definitively have way more flotation than any tire but the driveability on trails isn't there you need to go slow over obstacles like rocks and trees. that and the overall width is an extra 8". Anyhow with planetarys on the wheels that were a 3:1 ratio you would be putting way less stress on the drive line so to me tire size wouldn't matter especially with the power steering.

Kevin

We get a few days of mud but other than that dry, dry, dry. Even when we have a monsoon it is dry by morning. May/June are the off months because by May we are without moisture and the dust ruins the ridding. The heat doesn't bother the locals, it is the dust. The rest of the year we get enough moisture to keep the dust down.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Kevin

How the heck does that work I live in North Dakota and we get 4-6 months of the whit stuff. That's just not right. We still have some snow in the tree rows and coulies.

I know, it dosent snow here untill after christmas anymore and we only end up getting a foot or so. then the wind comes up and blows it all into the trees. I remember 10 years ago when we would get 5 feet but the weather is changing or something. It makes me mad because if its going to be -40 it better have some snow with it. dam winter :angry:

Kevin