Quantcast

Gumball

TROOPER - TURN KEY - SOLENOID CLICK - NO START

My Trooper began to get hard to start. The solenoid would click but the started wouldn't engage.

Taking the Kanarfi technical approach of wiggling the key made me think maybe the ignition switch could be taken apart to be cleaned. That couldn't be done so I squirted cleaner in it. I turned the master power switch off and turned the key on and off a bunch of times to clean the contacts.

Thankfully after this operation, the problem appears to be solved. After thinking about how the contacts could be dirty in a "sealed switch" I concluded water was the problem. When washing the dirt out of the drivers compartment water was getting in the switch.

Now I have to figure out how dust was getting in the drivers compartment. Maybe it's the same dirt I get all over my glasses when I drive?

Gumball

My Trooper began to get hard to start. The solenoid would click but the started wouldn't engage.

Taking the Kanarfi technical approach of wiggling the key made me think maybe the ignition switch could be taken apart to be cleaned. That couldn't be done so I squirted cleaner in it. I turned the master power switch off and turned the key on and off a bunch of times to clean the contacts.

Thankfully after this operation, the problem appears to be solved. After thinking about how the contacts could be dirty in a "sealed switch" I concluded water was the problem. When washing the dirt out of the drivers compartment water was getting in the switch.

Now I have to figure out how dust was getting in the drivers compartment. Maybe it's the same dirt I get all over my glasses when I drive?

Gumball

You say the key switch can't be disassembled at all? Maybe we need to look into some Industrial Panel Key switches, any way, glad to here it seems to be the key & not the solenoid or starter, Thanks, Keep us informed.

My trooper had the same concern this last ride, found the s terminal (small terminal) on starter solenoid was

loose tightened terminal has'nt done it again keep my fingers crossed

I am gonna check that out, it is alot simpler of an answer than i was starting to think. i guess that would explain why there was only 8V on the starter solenoid form the key.

Good work.

I had the exact same problem with my Trooper. I removed both the solenoid and starter cleaned them up and then started tracing wires. After a few days of searching the problem ended up being a faulty master switch. After by-passing the master switch I haven't had a problem.

I had the exact same problem with my Trooper. I removed both the solenoid and starter cleaned them up and then started tracing wires. After a few days of searching the problem ended up being a faulty master switch. After by-passing the master switch I haven't had a problem.

When you bypassed the master switch and hooked the positive wires together. did you notice one of the smaller positive wires had a draw that caused a spark when hooked to the others? because I do, I actually changed out my master switch for a better actual "switch" and have quite the draw almost like something is grounding out. when it gets wet it actually steams. hope it don't burn :o

Kevin

TILT!

Geez, after thinking I'd solved my click no start problem I had a sad awakening this morning. I tried to start the Trooper and CLICK! no start. Dirty bracka fritz!!! It was back to the drawing boards.

Once again I checked connections, continuity, etc. Still Click! I did find that if I clicked several times the starter would finally engage. My suspicion now is a possible bad segment in the started motor. Unfortunately I'm not where I can pull the started easily. In fact I don't see how to pull it without disassembling the whole car.

If I find out anything more definitive I'll keep you posted.

Gumball

Right behind you, waiting to see what you come up with. Sounds exactly like what I experienced. The engine was warm and I wondered if cooling down helped or was part of the solution. Or was it turning the key finally wiped itself clean. Next time it just clicks, put it in gear,clutch out, turn the key to click and hold, now bump or have someone push enough to roll that starter. Maybe try rolling the starter, before you try the key again. This should determine if it a bad starter segment or bad contact inside the solenoid.

Thanks

Kinarfi

all I do is keep clicking the key and it stars eventually, that's been working for almost a year. it seems once i get riding for awhile it works better so maybe warmth helps it. i changed the starter out when the trooper was new and that fixed the problem for about a week. the starter is a bit of a pill to change, you need to remove the whole intake manifold.

TILT!

Geez, after thinking I'd solved my click no start problem I had a sad awakening this morning. I tried to start the Trooper and CLICK! no start. Dirty bracka fritz!!! It was back to the drawing boards.

Once again I checked connections, continuity, etc. Still Click! I did find that if I clicked several times the starter would finally engage. My suspicion now is a possible bad segment in the started motor. Unfortunately I'm not where I can pull the started easily. In fact I don't see how to pull it without disassembling the whole car.

If I find out anything more definitive I'll keep you posted.

Gumball

I'm having the same problem right now I took the starter off and took it to autozone and they put it on a machine and test it and it was ok I took the starter off with out taking anything off but the starter I took the starter switch apart it has two copper plates in it that turns to make it work I don't think it's the starter because I can used a pair of pilers on the starter to solenoid and it starts everytime I think it's the switch I'm going to put one on a good one not a joyner one

Hi Plumber,

We're all watching closely to see if you've solved the click no go problem. I think I'll keep clicking the key until someone comes up with an answer. I'm not looking forward to having to pull the starter.

Saturday I'm taking a 55 mile ride at around 10,000 feet elevation. I hope it doesn't poop out on the trail. It will be embarrassing if I have to get some ATV to give me a pull to get started. I'll try and park on a hill to have some way to bump start if it's needed.

Thanks for your input!

Gumball

if the contacts in the solenoid are dirty or corroded, the starter will not work. I had a trooper that the starter would do nothing but click but if you turned the key and held it and had someone cross the post's it would start. Also if the battery is down some,the plunger in the solenoid will not hit hard enough to make a good contact. has it been in water?

Hi Plumber,

We're all watching closely to see if you've solved the click no go problem. I think I'll keep clicking the key until someone comes up with an answer. I'm not looking forward to having to pull the starter.

Saturday I'm taking a 55 mile ride at around 10,000 feet elevation. I hope it doesn't poop out on the trail. It will be embarrassing if I have to get some ATV to give me a pull to get started. I'll try and park on a hill to have some way to bump start if it's needed.

Thanks for your input!

Gumball

Although continous clicking might be working, beware, you are slamming the solenoid gear in and out on the ring gear and will cause premature wear. I am pretty sure (with the costs of the other parts) that taking out the flywheel and either replacing the starter ring or perhaps a whole flywheel will be pretty $$$$$$$$

Well I change my ignition swicth still doesn't start while I was searching the internet I found this http://www.type2.com/bartnik/starter.htm . I have done everything it said and everything check out but the solenoid I'm going to have the solenoid rebuilt it will take a couple of days to have this done I let you know how it goes.

if the contacts in the solenoid are dirty or corroded, the starter will not work. I had a trooper that the starter would do nothing but click but if you turned the key and held it and had someone cross the post's it would start. Also if the battery is down some,the plunger in the solenoid will not hit hard enough to make a good contact. has it been in water?

Hi Russ, The only water it was in is I wash off the mud on the engine battery is up 12.5v I have the solenoid wire off twice so I think it's making good contact

I believe I have found my problem for twenty dollar's I'll tell you ha ha There is a ground wire that is hooked to the back of the battery box it was broken it was just laying on the ring terminal, It's your main ground it starts every time now

Twenty would have been cheap, I would have sent 200 but I didn't have your address, Ha Ha right back at you, and oh yea, THANKs

until you're better paid.

This is good stuff. We all find that we become more and more familiar with our Troopers through having to find and fix different things. With this forum, I find myself seeing problems, finding and fixing them simply by reading whats going on with others. Having a heads up on potential problems is really nice. Thanks to everybody who contributes to this forum. Your all great and part of my little personalized Trooper family. I'm real happy with my new family. Like any good working family, we all work to look out for each other.

Lenny